Server - Possible Changes, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Survivalist Games (Public)' started by Harrowed, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Harrowed

Harrowed Well-Known Member

Posted further down, but most people wont notice it.. Quoting it here.
    So streamline-servers, our current host, has given everyone the option of LeatherLoader that will give us a different kind of modding option, and a great deal more hooks into which we can mod.

Currently we're using Rust Oxide but it's VERY limited on what we can do and development is a pain to deal with the limited Event hooks etc.
    - With the following Plugins, Teleport to Co-ordinates, FixYourName, AutoMessage, Groups, Private Messaging, Crafting Controller, Loot Spawn Lists, Oxmin, Door Sharing.

Developer of LeatherLoader had DropParty - Changes Drop rates from Zombies etc.
    Rust Essentials - But ultimately it's just quick replacement for console rcon commands. No Door Sharing yet in it.

Limited Sleepers - No combat logging, goto sleep for 15 mins and your body will be removed... This one I actually kind of like but it would need a group YEY/NAY.

GroupGate - Currently outdated as the Developer had a temporary forum ban, but will be back anyday and become LeatherLoader 1.1 compatible.

Rust++ - Long list of features.. This one I love, and think we should use it along with some Admining Addon.
    What do you guys think?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
    Ransep likes this.
  2. Owen153

Owen153 Active Member

I think it looks good, if it give you admin guys more help all the better. Will it entail a server wipe? And when the world is reset in a wipe do we retain any blueprints learnt or are they gone along with gear and structures?

3. Harrowed

I'm doubting we'll drop Oxide atm.. .Just had a preview of the new Hooks in next build of Oxide.. I'm in LURVE...

Already writing an Admin kit command that stores your current location and equipment, empties your backpack and then loads you up with Invisible clothing :) When done Admin'ing Teleport you back, revert your backpack etc :)

BAM.. Done.

4. DeeTee

DeeTee Getting Started

I'll take a suit of invisible clothing also please ;)

I like the sound of this...

Broadcast PvP death messages

and this...

Limited Sleepers - No combat logging, goto sleep for 15 mins and your body will be removed...

The limited sleepers gets a YAY vote for me lol
    it at least means when you log off you can keep yourself and some of your gear safe.

5. Ant85

Ant85 Getting Started

1+ to Rust++ :D

6. Ransep

Ransep Getting Started

Limited Sleepers and PvP Death messages would be amazing. Friends list... meh? but handy i suppose?

I dont like the option of display coords I think it will make it too easy then, I like having to figure out where the hell I am when I get lost lol

7. Filthelement

Filthelement Game Op

/location for players = very very bad!!

8. comman

comman TOGOA High Sec Director

Like the idea limited sleepers but location for players, hell no!!!!

9. GU55I

GU55I Active Member

Great changes. /location for friend would be great. The ts message I'm getting shot, where by the boulders? This feature should allow help to get there faster.

10. Merv

Merv Active Member

I liked the sound of Rust++ until i read the features they are still to add.

But yes, the current Mod is good so far. What we need to talk about doing is working on the actual community workings on the server. Seems the Admins are hampered to do their job as they can't first person view players to 100% verify cheaters. If they base a ban off reasonable belief, they get so much backlash from the banned players friends about Admin abuse.

Most importantly though are the TOG abusers, players that join the server and abuse the TOG name and last night a player went as far as calling all the admins idiots for turning off a feature.

11. Harrowed

Well Oxide updated to 1.8.x, and quickly followed up with 2 Patches to fix a few things, BUT it gives us so many more hooks to use and can add our own Death messages etc :)

I think we'll stay with Oxide.

THAT being said... I want to put forward to all TOG'ers a possible skew of the server.
    And No, just because I put this forward don't think you guys don't have any input.

I would like to change the server to a real survivor server.
    No Military weapons or Kevlar apart from Airdrops, no Shotgun/M4 Ammo, possibly no 9mm ammo/revolver as we can't change it to handmade shells, Explosive Charges or Grenades. Ammo for Military weapons wont drop from Mobs so the ammunition you get will be mostly used up on raids.

I really don't know how this would effect people's enjoyment levels but it will stop hackers and make griefing so much harder.

Death Messages seems to be high on most people's list at the moment too.

Is there any other ideas or thoughts on the above?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  12. Deadzy

Deadzy Well-Known Member

Problem is with this is once you get the gear you could own all the airdrops you go to.

13. GU55I

GU55I Active Member

Just make it leather and pistol grenades as the high end stuff (and craftable) and make it only from air drops this will still allow bows and hatchet to have a chance still.

14. meth0d

meth0d Getting Started

This.

If it had to be done I would leave in the 9mm and the bolt action as craftable items to level it out.

15. roob

roob Retired Captain

I like the idea, I mostly run around with a pipe shotgun anyway as it's real cheap to make ammo and kill zombies and animals. I play mostly with leather armor, even though I can make pretty much everything in the game x10.

I play light so if I die I don't lose much (and don't get stressed out).

Bows, pipe shotty, hand cannon, melee weapons, food, wood structures, first aid kits and regular clothing are all realistic items for a survival game and things you would be able to make on the current workbench and furnace that we have.

I don't think making guns and kevlar are as realistic on the current system and it would be nice if you were able to increase the resource requirements and/or the time it takes to make these items.
    Having them as air drop only items would be a nice way to limit the number on the server.

Gear durability or having metal items being affected by radiation the longer you stay in a rad zone would be fun. A m4 could take 10000 rads worth before it gains residual radioactivity (as example).

Expanding on this, equipment in general could have a radiation limit before it has a residual radiation of it's own unless it is cleaned and this may not be possible with the current survival tech of the game.

I'm not really savvy on how real world gear is affected by radiation and how it could be implemented into Rust and maybe it's more for the feedback section of the forums.
    But durability of some kind could make the game more interesting.

How would a change in higher tech items impact the server when a certain percentage of the population dominates with such gear?
    The rich get richer and the poor get owned. Would this be a turn off for players, both new and old?

Would such a tech change also require a server wipe? Some players may not want to lose what they have, but it also could bring in new players that have been waiting for the fresh and equal level start.

I have a massive and complicated tower that I have spent many days on and even though it has nothing on value in it (I just wanted to build it) I still don't mind if it was wiped to make way for changes to the server that would lead to an overall increase in player enjoyment.

If a reduced tech change didn't work then it's no real impact if you reverse it, or add in certain items over time.

Anything decided needs to be fair for all players though, not just for TOG as if we don't have any outsiders to play with then the game won't be as exciting as it is now.

I can't wait for the private forums as it'll allow for a much more detailed discussion on planning and gearing up on the server we play on.

;)

-roob