Shadowbane

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by WrrLor, Sep 6, 2006.

1. WrrLor

WrrLor Well-Known Member

Tanking somewhere for TOG, in sunny Iowa.
    Hey, just got into this game with an old friend. Wow, what a fantastic game.....old but still good. Free now, so can't beat the price. Anyone still messin around with this game, or have any info about it. Why did it never take off, or did it and I just missed it?

Good fun though in any case. :)

2. Paragon

Paragon Just Joined

Shadowbane , i remember reading the promos on it , and it looked very attractive. at the time i think i was deciding on trying Shadowbane or something else and the something else won out. Darn if i can remmeber what it was that won out ...???

say WrrLor , how does EVE , compare to other space games like Earth and Beyond, the space part of SWG, or say the stand alone PC game FreeLancer, if you happen to know any of them?
    or
    if anyone else can send me a opinion of EVE to the games i have mentioned plz send your feedback TY, Paragon

3. Ijs

Ijs Active Member

Ok, why didn't Shadowbane take off? Good question, and something that has been much discussed over the past few years.

1. Time in development
    Let's just say that its five-year development, including 2 full years in beta, cut into their fan base.... and dated the graphics. They did upgrade graphics early in beta, but they were still subpar.
    Believe it or not, this game was supposed to release around the same time DAOC did.

I remember joining the community in Sept. 02, supposedly a couple weeks before it was finally going to release. It was delayed, after they gave a concrete specific release day, until March 2003.
    At that time, SWG was heading for release (April 2003, pushed back to June 2003).

The pre-release guild I joined apparently died out after the first year in beta. I heard many guilds suffered in numbers because of the delays.

2. Bugs
    Yes, bugs. Not just some bugs, but one of the buggiest games of all time. Monumental .exe desktop-crashing bugs. If you went into a large siege (50-300 people) you could expect it to slow down to a snail's pace, and crash every 20-60 seconds.
    You'd swing at someone, and 3 minutes later, if you didn't crash, you'd be dead because you were swinging at someone who had left your range 2 minutes before you initiated the swing. Lag was colossal.
    The first few months were horrendous. It got better, barely, by the end of the year, but sieging was still a nightmare.
    The stack. OMG, the stack. That was brutally effective, because of the lag.
    Basic bugs that should have been caught years before were still in the game a year after release.

3. Related to lag... rubberbanding. How frustrating is it to (think you're) running 10-15 minutes, then rubberband back to your original spot. Then run 5-10 minutes, bounce back, then....

4. Duping. Enormous sums of gold were being routinely duped on several servers. I don't think they ever did figure out a way to prevent duping on the original servers. I know for a fact many people left because of the duping. It destroyed economies.

5. Loss of cities. I know the whole theme was Play to Crush. Which was great. I love pvp. But there were also a lot of people, who after a month or three of building up their city (ranking times were different back then for vendors and trees) did not appreciate losing it overnight, or in a week of overnight raids. The game released in March 2003, by June-July the overnight raiding (coinciding with kids out of school) was rampant. Your guild was expected to have a sizable force online 24-7, and that just wasn't going to happen.

6. Login problems. I know of a couple guild leaders in my Mourning nation who quit because they couldn't log in for 2-3 weeks straight in April-May 2003. Can you imagine being locked out of a game for 3 weeks while they're "working on a fix for you". Meanwhile, your guild is being destroyed, your assets erased, and...

7. Treeless guilds. Another Play to Crush idea. Errant guilds, with no fixed assets, did terrifically well, destroying guild after guild, nation after nation. There was no way to fight back. They had nothing you could destroy.

8. Server migrations. Once they started allowing migrations, the populations took another hit. A couple big guilds would leave, the old server would die. Many just left the game rather than migrate.

9. Games like WoW eventually showed up, thinning out an already thin player base.

10. Did I forget anything? In a nutshell, the bugs, lag, duping and loss-of-assets caused the game to freefall from 10 decent pop initial servers to limp along at three.

All I can say is, if you're having fun, go nuts. A lot of people still consider it the best pvp game out there.

It was my first MMO, so it will always be a special game for me. Those first few weeks on Mourning in March-April 2003, and the rush to grab property were unforgettable. But after 11-12 months, I was done. My third guild was dying, and it was just time to leave.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  4. Paragon

Paragon Just Joined

say Wrrlor which server in shadowbane are you on ?

5. WrrLor

WrrLor Well-Known Member

Well, just to respond to Ijs's 4 page post....heh.....I do like it, it is free, and I have payed for much, MUCH worse. I can see where all that could be seriously annoying though, but the same sort of things happen in other games....cough....EVE....anyway.

I am playing on the loreplay server mostly with a friend of mine. Human and HG guild. I also have a Centaur toon with another bunch I met in game. Also on vindication. I have nothing over lvl 22 yet, so still a newbie.

Paragon : I have only played EVE and SWG out of what you mentioned. Eve is a completely different beast than SWG. To be frank, I am about to leave EVE, either for a long break or for good. The "over night seige" thing is even more drastic in this game. It is either a love it or hate it game. I really loved it for about 6 months, then realized that I would have to dump nearly all of my free time into it to ever get anywhere. I am way to casual a player to do that. :) I like to jump around from game to game as I see fit, and it just is hard to do in that game. Give it a go though, you may like it. Free 14 day trial account keys are easy to get. Gimme a jingle if you are interested.

6. Ijs

Ijs Active Member

Well, the game is three-plus years on the market. You may have played much worse than SB's current state, but there were few games to match SB's shoddy release.

(I've heard Anarchy's Online's release was also 'rough'. Never tried it though).

I know someone who went back to SB a few months ago, and absolutely loved it. Said it was much improved from release, something about windows of opportunity, and it's harder to destroy city assets, new races, new classes, etc, etc. Pvp is still it's greatest strength.

And it's free. Hard to beat that lol! :D

But many people find it hard to go back to a game that was so disappointing at release, or after some major upheval. (See SWG, AO, Horizons, etc.)

7. Valdis

Valdis Active Member

heh

AO had one particular patch near the beginning, 12.1 or something like that, that should be legendary. Installed on a friday afternoon it was a patch that would often say, "take it easy" when you tried to attack. So you'd pull a mob or be half way through killing one, and it'd tell you to "take it easy" while the mob beat you to death.

Funcom did nothing until Monday. It was one very bizarre weekend since you couldn't be sure you'd actually be able to kill a mob you tried to attack. AO had other problems too, but that patch was definitely the worst.

8. Morlak

Morlak Active Member

I think i may give this game a shot. I remember this game from a long time ago but i nver did try it. Any advice (race, class, etc)? What server lore play or vindication (was kind of confussed here)? Any help would be appreciated.

9. WrrLor

WrrLor Well-Known Member

At work for now, I will respond better in a bit.

Lore play is only on one of the servers. That server is named Vindication.

Loreplay = guild requires all one sort of race, or race restrictions.

The window of oportunity thing. I think you can only attack at a certain time, but I know there is an announcement of sorts. When they place a spire, you know that at some certain time they can start attacking.

More later.

:)

10. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

PM Delim, he is a skilled MMo warrior and I know he plays this game. I'm sure he could get you into a good guild for the time being. :)

11. JuJutsu

JuJutsu Getting Started

For some reason, 11 sticks in my mind as the killer patch. That was the weekend I finally just gave up. The AO launch was a complete fuster-cluck and that p[atch was the coup de grace. I swore I'd never touch another Funcom product. Age of Conan will have to be everything its advertised to be and I'll have to hear it from players cause Funcom has zero credibility with me.

12. Ratspittal

Ratspittal Active Member

That rundown brought back some memories, Ljs. The thing about SB what that there was a huge amount of expectation for the game. Entire guilds pulled out of Ultima Online to move into Shadowbane. And what we got was an extremely unfinished game that was relying on players to set up the events. There were no quests, it was for hardcore players and big guilds only. Then after about 3 months of sb.exe errors, rubberbands and glitch after glitch (including rumours of SB actually crashing computer hardware and totalling motherboards), the guilds started to pull out. That was the deathkell for the game. About 6 or so months in, Ubisoft started to shut down servers and move populations.

On many of the servers large guilds took over the entire world, locked down the high level spawn sites and basically made it impossible for many to play. We were playing on Death in Vivakar, an all Irekei guild and ended up allied with Lords of Death, the most hated guild in the entire game, or so it seems. Wrrl, your comparsion to Eve is a good one, but not the way you mean - Eve doesn't have a fraction of the issues of SB for its first 6 months. It does have the same player driven content but it is so much better designed than SB was.

Ubisoft - there is a company that I avoid like the plague (Funcom has been a good experience for me - Dreamfall - but I didn't have the AO years . . I was in SB). One of the other theories for the loss of Sb was the fact that Ubi rushed Wolfpack to release and never supported the game with the hardware needed to run it. I have run into so many other issues on Ubisoft released games, mostly of a network nature (the Rainbow Six series, great games, touchy multiplay) that I can believe this.

13. doggsley

doggsley Well-Known Member

Tried giving it another go when they made it free, but still cant get over the point and click im afraid :(

14. TGBO

TGBO Getting Started

I played Shadowbane back near release myself. With Ijs in a guild in fact. I did have some fun, but the problems mentioned are pretty much it. Any one or two alone would be workable, but add it all up and it just hurt.

One other thing that was a big factor for me back then was the difficulty in travelling. And not just from rubber-banding. If you were in a land-owning guild, you were bound to your guild's tree. If you died anywhere in the world, that's where you wound up. And you left everything you were carrying in your grave on the spot you died. So regular hunting more then a quick jog from home wasn't really practical. This made the world feel very very small because you just didn't go anywhere really unless you were helping with a major siege somewhere. And in that case you were often watching just a slide-show of the world :p

But hey, from what I've heard they've made a lot of great changes to ole SB. I just don't have time to check it out really anymore with the other games I play, school, and work :( Maybe next time I go game-hopping.

As for EVE, I've played it and Earth & Beyond both. I personally enjoyed E&B much much more. Mainly because it didn't require the total devotion of my free time that EVE would to get ahead in the virtual world. E&B's travel system was also less of a hassle. I liked the extra customization of ship modules in EVE, and the graphics were beautiful, but everything else about the game outside of pvp felt, well, monotonous. And pvp was a lop-sided gankfest until you'd spent week or even months real time training skills and either working your butt off or signing your life away to a corp. Way too much required time investment before getting into the "meat" of the game.

Of course, EVE is still around and E&B got shut down, so eh.... what can ya do?

15. WrrLor

WrrLor Well-Known Member

Still havin fun, it is free and met some good folks. Sorry about your troubles, and I do understand, but to me it is pretty fun.

I am not here to convince anyone that Shadowbane is the bestest game ever made, but it is pretty fun with a good group of people. Thanks for all the tips. TBH, what you guys are telling me is how I would react if someone came on here and said SWG was the most fun they had ever had in gaming....hehe.

:)

16. Sente

Sente Active Member

I was playing Earth&Beyond and had been for a fair amount of time when EVE was released - at that time I cannot say I liked EVE particularly much. Some interesting ideas and the trading part was overall nicer, being able to do multiple jumps etc. But I thought E&B was much more fun to play and it had a nice story arc which you were quite aware of in-game and EVE felt bleak in comparision there.
    Then E&B got cancelled and I reactivated my EVE account about a year later. I must say that I liked the game better at this point. This was at a point where I hade started to get a bit frustrated with SWG, which I mostly liked in the beginning, despite some bugs and various issues.
    Never really liked the JTL expansion for SWG and revamps and other changes made the game more boring to play for me.
    Still, my EVE period did not last all that long and I defected into fantasy MMOG territory.

If you need a scifi/space replacement in general, EVE might be a good choice. But I think it is a fairly different beast to E&B - which despite its flaws and the grind at higher levels is a game I would have preferred if the choice would have been there.

17. Ratspittal

Ratspittal Active Member

hey Wrrlor - I don't think anyone thought you where trying to convince anyone that SB was the greatest game but you did ask "Why did it never take off, or did it and I just missed it?" - we are answering.

Just for a lark, I decided to see if I could remember my old name and pw for Ubi.com accounts. Got back in and found out that my account is running with all upgrades for free. so . . . now you have arroused my interest, I thought I would DL the client and have a look around. Just wondering if my fury and scout are in there somewhere :)

18. WrrLor

WrrLor Well-Known Member

Woohoo!! heheh.