Should I back SC and get in to Alpha?

Discussion in 'Star Citizen (Public)' started by Praqzis, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Praqzis

Praqzis Just Joined

So. This game has been on my radar for quite a bit and I have definitely thought about backing it. It looks like this TOG division is already pretty darned active. How is the game in Alpha? What is there currently to do?

If I do decide to back it, is there a way to do it so that TOG is recognized as the source?

Trimethicon likes this.
  2. Sevrus

Sevrus Active Member

It is in the "pre-alpha" stage right now.

Currently you can view ships that you have purchased in your hanger, and sit in the cockpit, things like that.

In the next few months they will be releasing the Dog Fighting Module. They indicated they wanted to get in out this year come hell or high water but there are hints of delays.

Currently no way to specifically "credit" ToG when you pledge but guild organisations are coming.

Personally, for a game that has a full release over a year away, the community is huge.

A few points to consider

If you are even thinking about, I would drop at least the minimum $40 for a basic alpha, beta, ship package.

There really isn't a need to spend more than than at this time unless you find a ship you really like as everything that you can buy now you can earn in game. In addition, the ToG guild has WAY more ships that pilots so odds are you will be able to easily find a crew position on a larger ship to check them out.

Of course, that advice is "do what I say, rather than do what I do" as let's just say I've spent orders of magnitude over that amount.

The developers don't have a publisher to tell them how to evolve and create the game, they have us. It's pretty cool seeing it evolved based on the feedback they get.

So take a look at the ships, watch the videos (google aroa, origin and hornet commercials), strap yourself in, and join the fleet!

Sev

Trimethicon likes this.
  3. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Black Desert Online Captain

To further reinforce what Sevrus said above, according to his forum signature, he has spent amounts that would make most of the TOG community cringe. ;)

The basic $40 amount is enough to get you the single player game, the MMOG game, alpha and beta access, a character slot and a ship (aurora).

If you want the other ships all you need to do is board Sevrus's Idris, wait till he's alone and blast him with your side arm. :)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  4. Ransep

Ransep Getting Started

Also an extra point is that the game is aimed at $60 once its released so getting it now is actually cheaper than waiting for release :D

5. JBro

JBro Active Member

Also:
    The flight model is based on Newtonian physics so .. you might want to look at a game that uses it ( like Evochron Merc [which has a 90 hour in-game free trial ]) to get a feel for SC.

Evochron Merc is on Steam if you want to buy it (24.99 USD)

Either way you can get happy with your control set-up of choice. Enjoy :)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  6. Trimethicon

Trimethicon Well-Known Member

I'll admit, while considering myself somewhat of an MMO aficionado; I have no idea what this game is, how to play it, when it goes live, etc. This post, and subsequent answers, have kind of helped me out of my noob fog.

7. Ballad

Ballad Star Citizen Officer

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  8. ohio.medic

ohio.medic Star Citizen Captain

Like others have said if you are planing on trying it once it comes out I would back now at $40 instead of $60+ later. Besides the alpha/beta access you get the MMO and the single player game when they come out. Hopefully you won't go overboard and spend way more then you wanted to like me.

9. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Black Desert Online Captain

What you think you will spend times 10.

10. CoNgO

CoNgO Well-Known Member

The Only reason that people have spent a lot of money (apart from supporting the game) is that the fact that up until the 26th November RSI were giving away lifetime insurance on all the ships as an additional pledge bonus.

As that is now gone there is not a huge reason to spend to much (apart from supporting the game).

It has been stated that insurance in game is not going to be expensive and will last 3, 6 months and 1 year.

All ships that are available on the pledge page will be be able to be purchased in game with out having to spend RLM.

Most people believe in this game and want it to happen, hence why we have a lot of ships.

Go for the cheap $40 package with everything included.

11. ohio.medic

ohio.medic Star Citizen Captain

Yup, I did it more because I want an awesome game. I was happy about the LTI, because I know me I'd forget to insure my ship then get blown up.

12. Praqzis

Praqzis Just Joined

Thanks all. Now my only debate is whether to risk a low Wife-Acceptance-Factor and accompanying Wife Aggro if I'm wrong :).

13. Analogue

Analogue Getting Started

I concur with previous comments on this. Depending on your budget constraints, go for an Aurora or 300I pack.

Small enough that the money (in theory) wouldn't be missed, and gives you a look, at the very least at the hanger. My budget was to only spend $50-70, but after I saw my first stock hornet in its hanger that blew out by several orders of magnitude. Heh.

14. @Threshold

@Threshold Active Member

Are we ever wrong ?
    Thought it was just the depth that varied.

15. Wenceslaus

Wenceslaus Sauce -= SILVER Patreon =-

On JBro advice I moved the post to the public domain/forum & made it sticky.

Hopefully this ongoing thread would be a good advice/guidance for new Start Citizen !

Wence Out

16. Praqzis

Praqzis Just Joined

Well, picked up a (cheapish) joystick today (Logitech Extreme 3d Pro) and bought in to Star Citizen at the $40 level (with the Aurora MR + ship). Now how do I download the launcher to play around in the hangar? :D.

EDIT: Found the download link. Sweet! Downloading now and hooking up my joystick :).

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  17. Buff

Buff The Magic Dragon

You wont need the joystick for a little while :)

18. Praqzis

Praqzis Just Joined

Well of course :). But now I'm ready to go when dogfighting module comes! In the meantime I can be using it in War Thunder :).

19. Healium

Healium Just Joined

Cool! I came across Star Citizen Monday via an article on what upcoming games not to miss in 2014. I was impressed enough to pledge a Freelancer for now. Nice to know I'll have some TOG company!

20. Zhul

Zhul Retired Captain

More than just some. :) Welcome aboard!