skill vs tech...in FPS

Discussion in 'The Barracks' started by BloodyOath, May 15, 2004.

1. BloodyOath

BloodyOath Getting Started

Hi all,

Was just seeking your views on the following thought i've had..

There is so much being written on how to tweak your game and computer. so many parameters to adjust, computer speed, graphic cards, pings and lag etc....
    it sure as hell makes a difference if you're running a 56k modem and your enemy is on a T3 for say...

To be fair shouldn't comps be organised in a way for players with similar systems and config plus speed of connection etc...if we were to judge skill in its pure form ?

or are the new generation geeks the rambo of this world ?

2. Gazz

Gazz Active Member

Just to take this a step further, the physical attributes of players is also a variation. Like, if you can't remember where you put your teeth, how will you remember where the armoury is, if you can't see the door, how do you see what is through the other side?

I don't think you could ever get a game if the criteria for entry was based on equipment levels. There are just far too many variations. The servers used now seem to be generally suitable for most people and their equipment. Sure some will have advantages, but I have also seen some people on what you could describe as 'low end equipment' beating others with much better rigs. So practice with what you have seems far more important than the tech level of the machines involved.

3. Ned

Ned Public Forum Coordinator

The number 70 is the key - imo.
    You don't want your ping to be over it
    and you don't want your FPS to be under it
    otherwise you're at a disadvantage... LAG kill.

4. BloodyOath

BloodyOath Getting Started

in that case where can i get an "anti-lag bot" for my pacemaker ? :lol: