So what makes battlefield?

Discussion in 'Battlefield (Public)' started by Reoh, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

Seems to me that Battlefield 3 is generating a lot of new players to the fold. I'm sure many of them, as I do, are wondering what really sets the BF franchise apart from other FPS games (like Call of Duty for example).

Without going into the realm of "walls of text" could a few BF vet's give us noobs some insights on what we can expect will be different, whats the real flavor of Battlefield games?

2. Spectre8

Spectre8 Retired Administrator

For me it's vehicles. And not just a turret, or a tank - it's the whole gamut of what you'd see on a battlefield (sort of). It makes, in theory, a multi-layered battlefield which you just don't see anywhere else.

Everything is player controlled, so no "helo strike" perk - you want a gunship, go get it, learn to fly it and become master of it's strengths and weaknesses.

But - one of the most popular game-settings of BF2 were the infantry-only maps... so it's more than that. It's the open maps, no corridors and the options that then presents.

It's a better game-world than any other FPS I've played.

Reoh likes this.
  3. Binary-Ninja

Binary-Ninja Well-Known Member

Large Maps compared to COD
    Large Player Numbers BF3 will 64 Players on PC
    Assortment of planes , Tanks , Helos , Vehicles
    Team Work based play based on how squads are setup , weapon selection not everyone is same class
    Hierarchy , Leadership roles to assign objectives to squad or in BF2 case was commander down
    Working Comms haven't played a FPS with decent in game comms since BF2
    Dedicated servers well over some COD titles

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
    C4 and Reoh like this.
  4. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

It's sad that gaming has dropped to where that's almost a bonus feature.

5. Buttersoft

Buttersoft Well-Known Member

+ 1 BN :)

It's the complete package. The previous BF games had vehicular combat no other game could touch. Very well integrated into an overall arcade feel FPS. But the infantry was lacking something. It was never bad, but MW1 raised the bar. BC2 has, IMO, beaten that significantly, but it was a last minute console port, and lacked certain elements that BF3 will provide.

Teamwork is another factor. And it's not a simple scissors paper stone, setup. There are any number of ways to solve problems, and they all rely on good teamwork to a level no other FPS series comes remotely near. The vehicles combine with the inf to make taking down tanks like co-op bossfights.

BF3 is going to have all the elements to make it massive.

C4 likes this.
  6. sperex

sperex Laboratory Manager Captain

large well designed maps, fluid gameplay, lots of toys, lots of players

7. bagmonkey

bagmonkey Getting Started

Its the only game where I don't mind if I cause my carpel tunnel syndrome or arthritis to become worse because of it.

If that doesn't say it all I don't know what does.

8. Beavis

Beavis Well Torn Member and Previously Retired Captain

The one thing that BF2 had that BC2 doesn't was in game voip,you had squad talk and the squad leaders had comms with the commander,so you had a number of squads being directed by the commander who could 'see' the whole game unfolding and direct squads to defend or attack flags.
    If BF3 has open maps like 1942,Vietnam and BF2,players only used to the COD series (except UO which had some great maps and vehicles) will have to learn to utilise vehicles and squad leaders (spawn points) to get to their objectives.

Going on past BF games not a lot of game play for 'snipers' I'm gonna camp here and rack up points,the game is too fluid and the action constantly moving

C4 likes this.
  9. Dragonhammer

Dragonhammer Well-Known Member

The battlefield series is the best there is, plain and simple.
    I have played them all, mostly on the PC, i have switched over to console 3 years ago.
    So now i play BFBC2 on my PS3 atleast a couple of times every week.
    Almost every match i experience WOW moments that put a smile on my face.
    The sound is just awesome, its the best there is, it just sounds real.
    Hearing the helicopters whizz by overhead, feeling the controller shake in your hand because a tank rolls by,while your hiding behind a wall waiting to hit him from behind with a rocket.
    BTW on the playstation voice coms is integrated into every game, in that aspect MAG has the best voice coms.

players in squad can talk to each other.
    8 players = 1 squad (squad leader can talk to platoon leader)
    4 squads= 1 platoon (platoon leader talks to commander)
    4 platoons= 1 company (commander talks to everybody)
    A cool feature is that you can hear people talking that are in your neighbourhood, but because they are not part of your squad you hear them softly in the background.

Also these kind of headsets are the best for gaming, this way you only hear voices speaking in your ear and no game sound another bonus is that it adds to the realism.

[​IMG]

And for those who are missing out on BFBC2 here is why its awesome.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  10. Rage

Rage Retired Moderator

Comparing COD and BF is NEARLY like comparing apples with oranges. Yes, they're both FPS, but so is TF2 and it's in it's own category again.

I came from BF originally and started playing COD when my PC couldn't handle BFBC2. I found it very different. I find COD to be much more "arcadey" than BF. The skulls over your team mates dead body as an example.

As stated before, the other MAJOR difference is the vehicles in BF.

Kinda not really THAT important, but I spent 380hrs or something playing BF2142 and still never got to the highest rank. I've spent 190hrs in BO and got to the highest rank twice now. The BF series (in my experience) has required more dedication to rank up and unlock all the weapons.

Now, in saying all that, I'll be buying BF3 :D Stupid IW taking away my dedicated servers *grumble grumble* :mad:

11. BishopNZ

BishopNZ Well-Known Member

For me - it's the entire experience.

I play with a headset on and many a time I have "heard" someone approaching me that isn't a friendly and I've managed to take them out.

The audio in BC2 blew me away.

Frostbite engine is currently my favourite. Hide behind a wall and think yourself safe?? Think again and all this from an infantry point of view.

Add to that vehicles, aircraft and the sense that you are actually on a battlefield and part of a squad, just beats the COD franchise hands down (IMO).

I love DICE as a studio and they will keep getting my money for years to come.

Here is my first contact with BC2.

When I watched this I immediately knew I'd be playing BC2. When it did get released, I stopped playing everything else (including MMO's) and have been playing it hard out for over a year and have only recently moved back to a MMO, but I still play BC2 at least once a week.

Been a gamer for over 20 years, I know a good game/genre when I see one and the battlefield franchise is in my top three all time list, it's that good!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
    C4 likes this.
  12. Binary-Ninja

Binary-Ninja Well-Known Member

This is what it is really about ... still one of the best game intros of all time considering how old it is .. but this is the game play of Battlefield game , with planes and variety of scenarios etc...

13. BishopNZ

BishopNZ Well-Known Member

BF2 intro was awesome. I used to play nightly, but end up watching the entire intro at least once a week :)

14. Benda

Benda Well-Known Member

Squad play unrivalled, 64 player maps awesome fun, huge range of vehicles, Infantry Only option is nice, Squad Leader spawns, ohh and the mods...epic fun.

The most hours i've ever put into a franchise.

15. DougB

DougB Well-Known Member

For me it would have to be the team/squad work that you get. I've played COD and a few other FPS's. But none come close to the same level of team work.
    Also the vehicles. Being able to jump into an aircraft have a bit of a dog fight (and loosing generaly) bail out then jump into a tank etc. My first experiance with the Battlefield franchise was BF 1942. I jumped into a landing craft and I remember seeing planes fighting overhead, then getting wiped out by those big beach defense guns they had on Wake Island. Ahhh the memories...

C4 likes this.
  16. C4

C4 Retired Captain

I remember BF1942 and being able to control vehicles as well as infantry was amazing, other the years the other iterations of the series came out each with its own unique experience.

Its the whole experience, from infantry, stationary positions, armored and flight combat that draws me to Battlefield games. The teamwork experience is another aspect I enjoy and gives great satisfaction when working with an efficient squad.

The high player counts also gives you that feel of being part of a larger force trying to complete an objective or turn the tide of war.

Really looking forward to BF3... can't wait!!!

DougB likes this.
  17. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

Great introspectives guys, keep'em coming and thanks! :)

18. Purg

Purg Well-Known Member

I loved battlefield but I'm happy to just be a grunt most of the time. I actually prefer the infantry only maps. Never piloted an aircraft, just been a passenger in one en-route to a capture.

19. Spectre8

Spectre8 Retired Administrator

And I always preferred the vehicle interaction :) When I first started playing BF:1942 and Desert Combat, I wanted to be a pilot, but was limited by my crappy network, ancient laptop and lack of joystick. So I figured if I couldn't fly them, I'd shoot em down :D It became my specialty in hunting, tricking and killing the best pilots of the game :)

Laying mines in obvious places to get a tank to deviate into my waiting C4, or slapping explosives to the rotors of my helo and driving it into the enemy flag... the vehicles just added so much more to the game!! :)

Infantry only was still a lot of fun - certainly no shortage of rounds played with knife or shock paddles only :D Very very cool :)

20. Buttersoft

Buttersoft Well-Known Member

You do realise we're all in TS tho, right ;)

Disagree. From BC2, BF now does everything CoD does at least as well as CoD does it, IMO, but the reverse is not even remotely true :)

And because i've decided this post isn't quite contentious enough - lol at those BC2 vids above. Console players pretending to play FPS are always so cuuute :D

and if I knew how I'd reply to BN and embed the 2142 intro here. I was a bigger fan of that one :)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011