So what's happening with the console dept?

Discussion in 'Secret Squirrel Console Club House (Private, Hidde' started by Pure Mongrel, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Ebonytears

Ebonytears Queen of the Abyss Staff Member Moderator

Hey Cadder!

Yep...it's the time of the year. Between Christmas carols, extension band, scouts, school end of year stuff....and possibility of floods (I'm with the ses) it's busy, busy, busy.

Congrats on the new title PM :D

2. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Division Captain

Sure mate. The missus is playing it. So will you be on the next X-Factor or Australian Idol. :p

3. Pure Mongrel

Pure Mongrel Well-Known Member

Good to hear from you Cadder! (Was getting worried about you).

Dude I don't want to steal your job, and even for DVC the Squadies should have a say. I am just happy to be able to give a hand while you tackle RL stuff.

4. George

George Well-Known Member

Well i'm glad it's just RL Cadder. I don't get home until the 20th December, so i haven't seen my PS3 for a month. Singstar is great at parties. I have a lot of pictures on FB with me screaming out some hits :)

5. George

George Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, i agree with P_M. We're not the very small division we used to be. Back then we had to muck in as there wasn't the people to go around. All the SL's in our division are capable of helping with forum modding or even step up to VDC/DC etc. However, in the short term I think Cadder is correct. P_M has the knowledge of the politics (probably not the right word) in HQ and knows all the forum tools.

In the new year when things calm down a bit we could look at our structure if Cadder thinks he's too busy with RL. This of course would be Cadder's choice if it's required being the DC.

I hope i haven't sounded too crass and i do find it hard not to have an opinion in the console division even though i don't have any wings. Must be part of the furniture now :oops:

Neil

6. Cadder

Cadder Retired Captain

PM, George; points taken - and I think George has picked up on my spur-of-the-moment reasoning; most of the awards, etc that I have been neglecting were set up by PM in the first place - it's only natural that he'd know how to pick them up without too much coaching. Plus his message seemed like he was suggesting he was at a loose end ;)
    As I said - it's only as temporary if you want it to be.
    Good idea with the New Year shakeup/shakedown.

Bahahahah!!! you've never heard me sing, obviously.
    OK, I will admit that I went on an ebay hunt looking for decent discs after being exposed to SS(for the first time) at a halloween party we were invited to... ...plied us with beer and shots, they did.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  7. Ancient_One

Is that the defence your putting forward. :w

8. Pure Mongrel

This is something we would all need to discuss.

The awards quickly became a huge job and to be honest I would vote to remove them going forward. (Or at least alter the format so that it did not require the up keep that it currently needs ... I have an idea about this, but I want to wait until everyone has had a chance to voice their opinions).

In fact I would strongly suggest that the division (while remaining in it's current form - no changes to the division layout) should be streamlined so that the upkeep impact is kept as small as possible.

I can only assume that Cadder had the same experience I did. It just became to much, and relied on the DC to check and maintain the division every day.

I would recommend though that now be the time every member who can assess the Secret Squirrel Club House put forward what they want to see happen with the division in 2011 ... especially with regards to making the life of the Squad leaders much simpler.

This division should be about having fun and sharing information (and a laugh ;)) not about a huge load of work.

9. FunkyJ

FunkyJ Well-Known Member

I've been in Bali... that's my excuse for everything at the moment :D

I'm happy to go on Modding duties for the forum, but I'd only be able to spare an hour or so at night.

This division doesn't seem to need a whole lot of that though

10. Ancient_One

It was the awards that did us in to a degree. A fantastic idea IMHO but with only the DC and 3 Sqdn Leaders at the time it made for a lot of work. Confirming awards, posting awards and updating the talley page. Our numbers have been bolstered since then with more Sqdn Leaders but a more simplified award system would be preferable. As you said, after all it's about having fun and gaming together where we can.

11. Pure Mongrel

Umm wow ... seems I have been promoted already?!?

As I said, I am happy to just help out. Others deserve this title way before me ... such as the current squad leaders!

12. Cadder

Cadder Retired Captain

Ummm.. yeah, a bit of jumping-the-gun on my part, I'm afraid. I'd already put in the req to HQ before I posted here :oops:

We'll have to organise some tournaments for it - Klingon style. :twisted:

To the pain!

13. Ancient_One

I don't think it's an issue at all since you were the previous DC.

14. Cadder

Cadder Retired Captain

And departed so rapidly.

*ducks for cover*

15. Pure Mongrel

Trust me ... if I had a choice ...

16. Ebonytears

Personally I don't have an issue. In alot of ways you have already been doing the job without having the title so having it now is just sort of ... housekeeping?

Anyway! If I can help in any way let me know :)

17. Spunkmeyer

Spunkmeyer Getting Started

Sorry I've been absent for a bit, I had to go to Alaska for an accelerated schedule job and my internet access was limited to say the least. BTW, I don't recommend Alaska in the winter....

I'd also be happy to help out with mod duties if you guys want it. I'm totally changing careers and going to school full time starting this next semester, so while the homework should keep me busy, I GUARANTEE it will not keep me from playing games. :D

I'm glad to see you're back helping out PM, and as far as I'm concerned, I don't want your VDC job now or ever. I think you and Cadder are a little nuts for doing it in the first place. :w As always, if there's anything I can help with, please don't hesitate to ask.

[​IMG]

Noon.... check the shadow angles

18. Pure Mongrel

I figure it must be cold as hell (umm ... anti-hell? You get my meaning!), but looking at those mountains in the background, it looks like it can also be a very beautiful place.

I bet there are days George would be happy to see some of that snow ;)

Thanks for the welcome back mate :D Due to my health I have not had the ability to catch up with my friend that went on the cruise, but she will be coming to my house for Christmas so I am hoping to finally get you those Flat Stanley pictures!

As to helping out in the forum, all help is welcome! ;)

I have not had a chance to confer with Cadder (So I hope he is in agreement), but the plan for 2011 (after we clean up a few things and fill in the front page / console guides, etc) is that the forum will mostly take care of itself (just need to update member and game lists) and you Squaddies can just concentrate on gaming with your fellow TOG mates! :D

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  19. Ebonytears

Spunky why aren't the three christmas trees near the front decorated? They should at least have a bit of tinsel on them.

Agree with PM though...those mountains out the back look beautiful.

20. Cadder

Cadder Retired Captain

:confused: