Space Engineers

Discussion in 'Simulation' started by Scorch, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Scorch

Scorch Active Member

Anyone had a look at this at all?

I picked it up off steam a few days ago, its still in Alpha but I have to admit despite its simplicity I found it quite an interesting game. Multiplayer is already available and they have just released dedicated server versions.

I installed it about 6pm on Friday evening, when I looked up at the clock again it was 4am!

Space Engineers - Space Engineers
    Steam - Space Engineers
    Youtube - Space Engineers

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  2. PhearMark

PhearMark Getting Started

I purchased it a while ago. Quite fun and neat.

My favorite so far is the fact that you can choose how you want to start from nothing up to a lot of things. So if you don't want to you don't have to do the same 'original' grind over and over again when new things come out or you want a new world.

All-in-all it is quite neat and has a lot of potential as they continue to add new content and devices.

3. Scorch

Scorch Active Member

I did find today that you can create your own scenarios too, just start in creative mode, set it all up and then save and exit. Go to load, select the save game and just change out of creative mode in the settings before loading.

4. astrospud

astrospud Sandpit Raker for Toy Box Division Captain

I've had it for a while now. Lot's of fun solo, but would be better with more people.

5. Scorch

Scorch Active Member

Well hopefully now they have released dedicated server versions, hosting companies will pick it up for the game lines. I noticed some doing dedicated for others I have, such as farming simulator so I cannot see why not this.

6. margali13

margali13 Active Member

I've only been playing for a few days, but I'm addicted to it now. :)

7. Neonin

Neonin Getting Started

I started playing it again recently after being addicted to it last time I played (by addicted I mean I sunk 200+ hours into it in the space of a month or so). Gave it a break for a while as I didn't want to burn out too quickly and there were other, similar games I wanted to try like Planet Explorers.

It's old and yet new again. There's a whole bunch of stuff in the game that wasn't there last time I played, and the addition of Steam Workshop means adding some of the frankly amazing mods the community has made is extremely easy. I just got all excited because not only could I create blinking landing lights on a landing pad, I could get them to automatically turn off when they sensed a small ship had almost finished landing on the pad! I nerded out about it so much I actually recorded it. Plus, remote piloting of ships is great and very useful!

http://youtu.be/ox27MnqO-dU

8. margali13

margali13 Active Member

This really is a fun game. I'm surprised there isn't a stronger TOG following.

9. Neonin

Neonin Getting Started

To be honest I rarely see stuff about the game out on the wild internet, although they have sold a million copies so it must be appearing somewhere.

The crazy thing is if they finally add some sort of currency that allows you to set up shops that buy/sell things, all you'd need is a mod to make jetpacks a piece of equipment and disable most of the G menu and you could create your own small-scale Elite Dangerous or Star Citizen with ships and stations you designed and balanced yourself... *cough*dreamer*cough*

10. Neonin

Neonin Getting Started

Some ships I've been working on:

[​IMG]
    Left to right: TND Hachiman, Neoprise Jolt Mk II, and the AVS Mannock.

TND Hachiman
    • Named for the Japanese god of war.
    • 6 x Gatling, 4 x Rocket Launcher.
    • 0-105m/s in 4 seconds, 105-0m/s in 5.3 seconds.
    • 2250L cargo capacity, 3.5MW power.
    • 24,584kg
    Neoprise Jolt Mk II
    • 5 x Gatling, 6 x Rocket Launcher.
    • 0-105m/s in 4.5 seconds, 105-0m/s in 4.6 seconds.
    • 2250L cargo capacity, 3.5MW power.
    • 23,203kg
    AVS Mannock
    • Named for highest WWI British fighter ace.
    • 8 x Gatling, 6 x Rocket Launcher.
    • 0-105m/s in 5 seconds, 105-0m/s in 6.2 seconds.
    • 1750L cargo capacity, 3.5MW power.
    • 26,175kg
    I've tried to make some variation between the different manufacturers. TND (Terran Nova Designs) are the sort of baseline, jack-of-all-trades company. Neoprise designs are generally larger in dimensions and better armed, slightly slower in a straight line but more manoeuvrable overall. AVS (Advanced Void Systems) focus on firepower with their manoeuvrability, cargo capacity, and speed suffering in comparison.

A fourth company, Lightspeed, doesn't appear yet because I haven't built their prototype. As you can guess from the name, the focus for them will be on speed :p

11. Neonin

Neonin Getting Started

And this is the first design from Lightspeed, thanks to a new cockpit mod I picked up today!

[​IMG]

Rather pleased with how this one turned out.

Lightspeed F-62 Voidhawk
    • 2 x Gatling, 1 x Rocket Launcher.
    • 0-105m/s in 2.2 seconds, 105-0m/s in 4.9 seconds.
    • 375L cargo capacity, 3.5MW power.
    • 15,896kg

The Voidhawk is classed as an interceptor, so not in the same weight class as the space superiority fighters listed in my previous post. Lightspeed is a company made up of the big three US fighter manufacturers (McDonnell Douglas, Lockheed Martin, Northrop) hence the F-62 designation, a leftover from the good ole' days of the US of A ;)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  12. margali13

margali13 Active Member

Nice job, very sleek. I like it.
    is that the new Azimuth cockpit?

I've mostly been building a big mining operation and asteroid base. Here's a pic of my latest mining ship, The Betty Page; 392 metric tons, the front of the ship has 13 drills and rotates. the back 3/4 houses 4 refineries, 2 assemblers, and 10 of the Azimuth large cargo containers It's powered by a pair of Arc 20 Reactors. 31 gyros and 150 thrusters keep it pretty stable while it tunnels completely through asteroids.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/44235138940129948/2271DCADA0881B536665C901F72EBB34DABC239E/

13. Neonin

Neonin Getting Started

Yeah it's the Azimuth cockpit. I tend to only make use of cosmetic mods so that, UnlceStes sloped armour blocks, and Darth Biomechs sloped thrusters with everything else stock.

Wow that's a monster! I haven't dabbled much with large ships, I tend to be a bit crap at designing interiors cause I haven't had a lot of practice at it... yet! I did make a 9-drill small ship mining drone though, remote pilot it into place and then set it going and it keeps chewing through the asteroid automatically until it gets out the other end.

I did make a nice torpedo though:

14. margali13

margali13 Active Member

15. Rhof

Rhof Getting Started

Anyone know of good servers to play on with others? Doesn't look like there's a TOG group or server.

16. Zalzany

Zalzany Active Member

So I got this forever ago before it hit the 500k sales mark, and decided to fire her up again with all the cool shit going on. My thing is as a kid I tore stuff apart and wanted to be an engineer but was working class kid so it never happened so its just crazy daunting or was way way back when before there was even mining lol.

Anyways looks like it has AI elements now, mining, resources, just ass tons of stuff to keep me going. Unlike before it was basically just build mode with nothing to do but make stuff and play with them, even multiplayer wasn't really that great back then. I figure its time to play again just poking around I know there is steam groups for tons of stuff I figured this would be right up TOG alley kind weirded out with all these new updates that there is no TOG steam group or anything yet...

17. Nearnaeth

Nearnaeth Getting Started

I've been playing SE for a while. Great game, but is just more fun as a multiplayer. The reason why there is probably such a low following on TOG, is that there is now single, easy place to find a forum about SE in here. Took me a good 20mins before finding this one. Wish we could have a dedicated channel, but that would probably just happen if we all join a dedicated server as a group. Talking about that, are there any groups on a dedicated server out there in the SE void. Would really like to join/create a TOG group in SE. steam nic is also Nearnaeth, feel free to add.