Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by Jakob_Pavlov, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Jakob_Pavlov

Jakob_Pavlov Retired Captain

Hi All,

Played through the Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory SP demo last night.

I was pleasantly suprised; I enjoyed it quite a lot. (I'd played the train level demo from Pandora Tomorrow was was not impressed)

It certainly looks great (even on my modest rig: 2.5GHz P4 and Radeon 9800 Pro), and although the controls take a little getting used to after more action orientated FPSs within 10 minutes you are sneaking around and jumping from shadow to shadow like a pro! :wink:

The demo doesn't start off great with the briefing being carried out in a very staid and old fashioned manner......but after that.....it's great fun.....with many memorable moments from this, the first level of the real game (I think).

My favorite moment was when I'd used a sticky camera fired onto the floor of a room up ahead to check that there was only one guard and to try and figure out the best method of entry. I noticed that the guard was on the move and heading towards my hiding spot...........I panicked slightly (never!!! :oops: ) and clicked the LMB which I assumed would return me from the camera view to my character and allow me to take out the goon. I was extremely please to find that hitting the LMB actually produced a cloud of poison gas from the sticky camera.......the guard who was almost directly above the camera choked briefly and colapsed on top the sticky cam...........absolute classic!!!! :D

Anyhow......I just thought I'd let you know that it's worth checking out the demo; as long as you don't mind some thinking to go along with your blasting. I'll certainly be giving some thought to buying the full game.........

Laters,
    Jakob

2. brana

brana Well-Known Member

I like the other two so I will definitely be having a look at this one.

3. Jakob_Pavlov

Are you following me around Brana??? :eek: Is Muppet not the only one you're Stoooorking?!? :lol:

Besides........that's a serious answer......have you been overdosing on your medication again?!? :wink: :lol:

4. brana

brana Well-Known Member

shhhh don't bring the family stuff out in public. Seriously I did like the other two sneaking around makes a nice change. I saw some footage from this at some stage and Sam or whatever his name is was hangig off a balcony reached up grabbed some guy and threw him over the railing. I was pretty much sold at that point :D

5. Jakob_Pavlov

:wink:

Yeah.....I remember seeing the same footage.....it's at the top of the lighthouse that is in the demo level........unfortunately I achieved the same result in a much more mundane way..........snuck up to the top of the lighthouse........using the stairs :!: :!: :!: .......then popped a single silenced round in the back of his head! :)

Much quicker for the poor guy that way........none of this cruel falling screaming to his death........ :evil:

6. Eugenic

Eugenic Retired Captain

hmmmm..... more sneaking action for us here. must get this one and finish the first :?

is there a contiguos story line between the three? i hate missing out on storylines. like max payne, now that had a cool storyline, you can't play the second without finishing the first, you miss out on little references here and there. I think a storyline that gets you hooked is more important than gameplay sometimes.

7. Head_Case

Head_Case Getting Started

I'm at about the third level in Chaos Theory and it's not a bad game. It not exactly linear and you do have to retrace your steps a bit, but other than that, it's pretty cool. I like the fact that in the first few levels you can kill eveyone and exit the level as the only one left alive. But if you make too much noise and they spot you before you kill them, they alert everyone and your dead!

8. Jakob_Pavlov

Hi All,

I think I am now about 2/3 of my way through the single player levels.....just started the Korean Missle Battery level......and I am enjoying it still.

Just wondered whether any of you guys had given the multiplayer a go? I gave it a quick half an hour last night........and it left me totally cold......felt like a three year old game! I'll definitely go back and give it one last try......but wanted to see if any of you guys had tried it out.

Laters,
    Jakob

9. brana

brana Well-Known Member

I have it but unfortunately RL has intervened and I haven't had much of a chance to play it :( . haven't tried MP yet but did you play co-op or the other one jakob? Hopefully I will have some time after this next week and I will give it a bit more of a run.

10. Jakob_Pavlov

Hi Brana,

I gave Verus a try........I've been busy too......but when you do get a chance to fire it up, give me a shout and we can embarrass ourselves together.......(I was more like Inspector Cleuseu (sp?) than a "superspy"!!)

SP is good though......having fun skulking around in the shadows! :twisted:

Laters, Jakob

11. brana

brana Well-Known Member

Hey jakob,

RL is playing havoc with all the important stuff at the moment but hopefully I can get that sorted soon. Still got AA, hoping to try a little SWAT and this. So many games so little time :( I may even have to try out this Guild Wars thing and see what his fuzziness is carrying on about. Be a real hassle if I had a personal life as well :D

12. ghostherder

ghostherder Just Joined

This game rocks sp or online and i`d be ready to play coop or versus any time budds!

13. Eugenic

Eugenic Retired Captain

Well? :roll: anyone played all of them? do they continue a story arc throughout the games?

14. ghostherder

ghostherder Just Joined

Ya there is definitely a continuing story lne-take my word on that! but of course i`ll only tell people what the connections are if they specifically ask me for thjem,otherwise it would ruin the surprise! Cheers!
    AWSOME game laddys go out and get it!

15. Eugenic

Eugenic Retired Captain

anyone got a copy of the original Splinter Cell I could borrow :wink: after watching the coolness that is Chaos Theory, i really want to get caught up with the story and join in on some shadow sculking with you guys.... all the gadgets look awsome!