Starting to get a bit fed up

Discussion in 'Minecraft (Public)' started by Irimar, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Irimar

Irimar Retired Captain

On Tir na TOG, someone made some modifications to my desert house. Now, admittedly, they were non-destructive, and I'm sure the person who made the changes meant well, but it wasn't your construction to modify.

It may seem like a bit of an overreaction, but I'm honestly reaching the straw that broke the camel's back point here. Between problems on Sanctuary and losing a full double chest and a netherwart farm on world4, I've about had it.

2. BlackD

BlackD Server Admin

Yeah, pretty sure someone's doing this stuff intentionally. I had some of my stuff "edited" as well. :\ No, Samah, I'm not referring to your extension of my road - that was excellent. :D Some folks just don't understand that you're not meant to mess with other people's stuff. :(

3. DarkDuck

DarkDuck Guardian Captain

Ok. Thats redicilas, what options do we have this seems yo be driving people away from the servers.

4. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

:( I will have a look at it later. For anyone who is not clear on what they can do on the servers, I suggest you read http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum...389813-tog-minecraft-server-code-conduct.html and I quote from
    http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum...g-birthday-division-9-nov-2.html#post3326268:

And "standard politeness" includes not modifying others works or accessing their resources/chests.

Sorontar

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  5. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

As Admins we have various resources to investigate this. We just might not make all of the results of the investigation public, as is the norm for TOG.

Sorontar

6. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

While I can understand people's frustrations with what they feel is griefing, can I also point out that the correct process for reporting griefing is to send a PM to an admin giving us as much details as possible about the where, when and what about the damage. Only then can we attempt to resolve it and confirm that it was indeed intentional griefing and take steps to follow up on the investigation. Using the Division's forum is not an ideal way to report it.

Sorontar

7. Obsi

Obsi Well-Known Member

Well that's why I decided to leave. I was sick of having people come along and destroy my stuff, take my stuff and just generally being selfish, doing what they want... without considering the effect it might have on others.

8. DaedalusAlpha

DaedalusAlpha Well-Known Member

Well I assume it was me that modified that house by adding two pistons. I assumed that as it was a temporary map it wouldn't hurt too much. As well it was a very minor modification that could easily be reversed again. But if it was unwanted I'm sorry about it, I thought the function worked better the way I made it, but obviously not.

9. DeeP

DeeP Retired Captain

I know harm was not meant DaedalusAlpha and its clear your intention was good :D however any modifications good or bad just need to be cleared with the owner of the site, let them decide if its what they want

Its probably safer to "assume" its not wanted even if you think its great idea :D .... if you can't wait to get owner permission then the answer is always no.

Obsi likes this.
  10. DarkDuck

hmmm, so lets al hug and make up and actualy find out what the real issue is, you mention "the straw" what about the haystack? can you PM Sor or a mod about that and can we maybe close this thread?

11. HenriDeacon

HenriDeacon Retired Captain

I have played on a server where they know exactly who touched every block, and anything changed can be restored. Not sure what reporting system they use but i'll follow it up with the server owner.

12. Obsi

Obsi Well-Known Member

(This isn't specifically aimed at Daedalus, but to everyone)

The #1 rule here (as in much of real life too) is:

If it's not yours,
    Don't touch it!

It's really not a difficult concept. One that everyone should be familiar with as it's pretty much required for living in society in real life too, and is pretty clearly spelled out in our server rules. If everyone adhered to that very simple rule, there would not be problems like this.

Just like you wouldn't walk into someone's RL house and start moving their furniture because you think it would look better..... you don't mess with people's stuff in Minecraft. It's their stuff, and it doesn't matter if *you* think it would be better some other way, or if you think it's only a small modification, or you think it's trivial and won't matter - it's not your decision to make, as it's not your construction.

For some people, this sort of stuff doesn't bother them. But for others it is a game-breaking thing.

People need to realise that their actions can affect other players, and can ultimately cause them to leave the servers/division. I would urge anyone who has had problems, to report them. If nothing else, it can make the people doing this stuff be more aware that their actions are harming others.... and nothing can be done about it, if it's not reported to modmins.

The final straw for me, was coming in one day to find my cactus farm had been destroyed so that someone could build something where it was. This followed a string of other smaller things, but that was the final straw... Since some of the players here can't seem to follow the #1 basic rule and can't respect other player's enough to not mess with their stuff without asking first..... I just don't want to play here any more.

Because I had a few people begging me to come back :D I thought I'd come build something on Tir na Tog, since I was here for the beginning of the Division, so I wanted to leave my mark on our anniversary server too.... figuring there wouldn't be much opportunity for problems, being a new world, plenty of space and temporary. So I start clearing some land to build something (making sure I left plenty of space so it wouldn't impede on Irimar's place)... I come back later and find something built *right* next to/on the space I'd started clearing. :mad: Which just sealed my decision really.

As Sorontar said, we do have various resources to investigate things.... but the people involved need to send in details of the incident so it can be looked into.

13. King_Rocket

King_Rocket Well-Known Member

Sad to see it play out like this.

14. DarkDuck

not happy, so who is gonan sign up for a vigalante squad to find out who this person is so we can well black list em, lol

Obsi I am sorry for your loss, I must say I have had my suspicions with my place, hence why I was so happy to move 5000 blocks away with splat,.

15. Obsi

Obsi Well-Known Member

Sadly, it's not just one person....

16. Akira Doe

Akira Doe Active Member

I thought a TOG server would be immune from this sort of thing. I guess there are always a few bad apples.

I've been responsible for breaking someone else's build before, on the temp creative server up now. I somehow spawned in a 1x2 room underground. I didn't know where I was and at the time didn't know about the /tp command. I dug my way out and took out some redstone on the way up (which I fixed after).

It's an addictive game, it's sad to see anyone go :(

17. Obsi

Obsi Well-Known Member

Accidents happen. If you accidentally cause damage to something, you just repair it if you can, let someone know if you can't. It's the stuff that's being done on purpose that's the problem.

It was :(

We've had a server a bit over a year now (It started last Aug for memory), and we've never had stuff like this happen (a few things, and one major griefing incident... but not this level of constant widespread stuff). I don't know what happened when we changed worlds recently, but it seems it caused a shift in the way some people play.

Maybe it's because some of the players hadn't had to work in such a confined space before? - as by the time they came on, the servers were already established and people had spread out for their constructions, so they never had to build around other people....

I really don't know why all of a sudden some people have forgotten how to follow rules and treat their fellow minecrafters with respect. I hope it gets sorted out soon however, as otherwise it's likely to pull the division down (more than it already has)

18. DarkDuck

there is a rather brutal but effective way of identifying and dealing with this.
    Remove everyone from the white list, and over the course of days/weeks add people to the list, and watch the server logs, waiting for an action, people like this stuff up, and as soon as it happens you have your culprits.

it's extreme and not what I would like to see happen but it is a last resort. you could even have everyone sign up to a new formal agreement or something if you wanted, either that or my offfer for a vigilante squad is still possible, lol

19. King_Rocket

King_Rocket Well-Known Member

Good idea except what if they reapply, play nicey nice for a few weeks and after a lot of other have been whitelisted then they start up again?

20. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

There are two parts to all this. Part one is the fact that some players have a weird sense of fair-play. That is why we have had to write down rules and guidelines in plain English - http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum...389813-tog-minecraft-server-code-conduct.html . However, it basically comes down to Wheaton's law [1]:

Don't be a Dick!

The other part of the issue is that we (admins) often can't investigate the problems because people don't give us enough details. Saying "I got robbed" or "my house was damaged" on the forum is no good. We need more details than that. Then we can investigate.

And yes, we have the means to investigate. As I have said before, we have resources available to us and have had for some time. But if people don't give us details of what has happened, then we can't really chase up any suspicions.

So I don't think we quite need to need to resort to the extremes you mentioned, but we do need help if people want us to resolve their complaints. I think you will find that this is no different in any TOG Division.

Sorontar

[1] I think I can credit Exe for pointing out how apt this law is for our situation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.