StarWars Battlefront Hitting shelfs 9/21

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by oldskool, Sep 18, 2004.

1. oldskool

oldskool Retired Moderator

Ok folks so SWB will be hitting the shelfs on 9/21/04 I know a while back there was a strong intrest in the game and was still wondering who is going to be checking out this game :) I for one will definetly be getting this game its looks great and I love Star Wars so any of you who have not got a chance to check it out here is a link

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swbattlefront/

Ohhhh I cant wait :twisted:

2. wytefang

wytefang Correspondent Officer

Not to douse water here, but I'm SO not interested in this game. I already have some awesome team-based, vehicle shooters set in great settings or genres. (BF:V, BF1942, DC, and UT2K4 to name a few) to play.

I'm just really tired of the whole SW franchise, it's definitely lost its luster. The only two companies to have done this franchise properly are Raven (right here in Madison, WI) and Bioware.

For those who are eager to get the game, I hope it turns out fun for you all. I'm just very uninterested in this game at this point in time. Maybe it's due to the impending release of several cool games (Warhammer 40k, Rome: TW, Tribes:Vengeance, etc..) or maybe it's due to the release of another huge game that we've all been waiting for (HL2 was sent to VU to go gold yesterday). Either way I think this game is going to slip under the radar, unfortunately for Pandemic...

BUT this is all just my opinion so please take it with a grain of salt. Please post back in here once you've played it and give us some feedback on whether or not it's unique and fun enough to be worth a purchase.

3. GhostDog

GhostDog Retired Administrator

What I like from the feature list is the 16 online player aspect. 8 vs. 8 would be a perfect team size for an FPS, I think.

I will wait and see what reports of the fighter combat are like, though. I've got AA for my 'on foot' game, and Battlefield 2 is where I'm planning on returning to the skies in a fixed wing.... but I might be persuaded if the X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter stuff is any good :)

4. oldskool

Well GD from what I have read, it either uses the same engine from BFV or its very simillar, I'm hoping it delivers, becuse as a true Star Wars fan, it has quite alot of potential to any fan of the movies and of FPS games in general. But the screenies look awsome, and I'm excited to see what it playes like, I'll be sure to post up details of my first impressions in a couple days here 8)

5. wytefang

You know, oldskool, it WOULD be cool to play some of the cool SW combat classes and vehicles...I've been thinking over this game and I DO hope it's fun and brings something a little difference to the shooter scene.

I have funds for two games next week (Warhammer 40k Dawn of War and Rome:Total War)...and even then I'm missing out on X-men Legends for the Xbox so I just couldn't squeeze in SW:Battlefront as an experimental purchase. :(

If it's really good though, and receives positive reviews, then I'm going to find a way to buy it.

I love shooters too much to miss a good one...

Sincerely, TOG | Wytefang :)

6. oldskool

Awsome wytefang well I for sure will post up reviews when i get it on release, and also after more researching it does use a completely new engine, it is not the same as the BFV engine :) I also am with you in the hopes that this game can really deliver, if its imersive, and has good game play thats all I'm asking for :) But again I'll be sure to let you guys now what I think after a bit of playing 8) It seems after talking with a few Toggers we have quite a few going to check it out, unfortunaly they havent found there way in here yet, but hopefully we can have some TOGers to shoot...err I mean play with :twisted:

7. ContraVersE

ContraVersE Retired Captain

From the screenshots I saw, it looks like the game will deliver as promised. The list of available weapons and craft is quite long. As long as the myriad choices don't water down the gameplay, it looks as if every possible scenario from the Star Wars universe has been included. I can't wait for Oldskool to get his hands on it and post up! :D 8)

8. Bennett

Bennett Active Member

Nearly forgot about this game being released. With everything going on and Planetside filling the void I almost missed it. :oops:

Still keen on having a look at this but I'll have to wait until I'm set up at my new home. And only going to have an ISDN connection by the looks of it so will have to wait and see how well these FPS will run. I'm hoping they run at least well enough not to take the enjoyment away. :)

9. Mad

Mad Retired Captain

The screenshots look very tempting :)

10. Major_Mess

Major_Mess Retired Captain

What about wireless providers up your way Bennet?

11. Bennett

Bennett Active Member

Doesn't appear to be any. But this wireless stuff is on the rise so it may pay for me to do some investigating again. :)

12. wytefang

I think its a damn shame that more countries overseas can't get you guys all setup with cheap, fast hi-speed internet connections. How hard can it be???

Plus the whole 'pay for bandwidth' BS is just a joke. Some seriously greedy-@$$ people in some of these other countries...

I feel guilty for having a 3 gig cable connection (double the download speed of a T1) when a lot of TOGgers have so little to work with. It'd be cool if there was some way for me to share my excess bandwidth with other TOGgers when I'm not using it!!

Oh well...just some random venting for my TOG friends and others around the world who get boned on the internet speed/cost thing.

13. Bulgroz

Bulgroz Well-Known Member

looking forward to it, but I'll probably order online and save some (AU) $$$, as I am not sure I want to spend $90 on a dud ... :) Yes, it's cheaper for us to order from Canada or Thailand (no joke, apparently there is a very good online store, games around $30, I'll be trying it for SWB :) ) than to buy it here ...

And new engine??? Given it's out on console you'd hope it'll be good ...

It's already out on illegal channels, but I don't quite see the point given you really want to play online and need a valid key for that I guess.

As for upcoming games: SWB, T:V and HL2 :)

14. Lon

Lon Retired Captain

I am definitely getting this game. I have pre-ordered it from my local HN store, it helps that a couple of good friends work in the computer section there :)

I've ordered the special box set that comes with the DVDs of the original 3 movies for a little over $100, so even if the game isn't all it's cracked up to be I'll still have the DVD box set. The old VHS tapes I have are pretty unwatchable now.

I'll post my impression of the game once it arrives, as yet HN still haven't been given a clear release date for the PC version from their suppliers.

Cheers
    Lon

15. RogueSlayer

RogueSlayer Retired Captain

I bought the game last night. Don't think I will get to play it before Friday though.

16. oldskool

Awsome Rogue well check out my other thread with screen shots and I posted TS info there, so if you like you can jump on when you play would be nice to game with another TOGer :)

17. Grom

Grom Getting Started

Got it yesterday ..And I've been enjoying a lot of good firefights.
    A lot of cool things and a lot of annoying things too.

Some of the cool things that stands out.
    1.The environment and sounds.. real starwarsy.
    2.the weapons and the JetPack.
    3. Graphics are top notch especially the one on Endor.

Annoying things:
    The vehicles need to be a 2 man tandem crew or decrease the spawn rate .. its too easy to get this and balst everybody to kingdom come.

Firefights are short.

Gamespy servers ( need i say more)
    but all in all ..its a fun game.

18. Wolf_Web

Wolf_Web Retired Advisor

Stop panicing Bennett, trust your uncle Wolfy when he says that with some effort (maybe required, maybe not) your ISDN connection will rock and you'll be running FPS fine!

19. _KoVoo_

_KoVoo_ Getting Started

I have purchased the game and played several times on it... It is a great game but needs a patch like yesterday. It gets really annoying with all the spawn killers/campers! I am not sure how they can rectify that, beings your supposed to take control of the other teams spawn points. I guess that it is sumthing that I will have to get used too.