StarWars BattleFront initial impressions (screenies)

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by oldskool, Sep 22, 2004.

1. oldskool

oldskool Retired Moderator

Ok folks so I have been playing for about 3 hours now and I must say this game has quite alot of potential :) I have some screenies which we will get to in a sec :) Overall so far I have been totally imersed in the game, only breaking for a few for dinner LOL and this review hehehe. So single player mode is pretty good only done the first couple missions, but it was alot of fun. Moved onto multiplayer and have been having a blast, some issues with server running right, but that is to be expected on the first day, graphics are great, and overall gameplay is stable. I dont think this game has anything stelar, or more that any other good FPS at the moment, but Star Wars fans are going to LOVE IT!!!! Vehicles are nice, flying took a bit to get used to, and I'm not quite good at it yet LOL, but it seems as good as BFV or any other that I have played :) So anyway on with the pics sorry for the size was lazy and didnt re-size and some are in lowest res, I was experimenting :lol:

Sorry bout the double pics I really dont know how that happened, but I'm too damned tired to fix it, so enjoy anyway the first three are screwed :?

[​IMG]

ok here is one on Endor I'm a rebel sniper and there is a cool shot of a tie fighter flying in the distance

[​IMG]

Ok here is another on Endor with another tie type

[​IMG]

This one is great ok there are no player Jedi's in the game, this is a NPC he was in our spawn room so I decided to shoot him.....you can see what happened in the lower left of the screen :)

[​IMG]

ok forget which planet this one was one but dont it look awsome, I was a Republic jet trooper in this pic....ohhh yeah baby jet packs :D

[​IMG]

Ok this pic is from Hoth and I'm a Emperial rocket soldjer getting ready to blast that rebel turret

[​IMG]

And lastly here is one of me in an X-wing in a battle on cloud city

[​IMG]

Thats its folks hope you enjoy the screenies, and hope to see some TOGers online soon, also for any TOG's wanting to meet up on voice, please come over to the US CoD TS server and we can use a spare channel there for now here are the details

IP address: 67.18.168.106:
    Port: 8777
    so the full Ip looks like this 67.18.168.106:8777
    Password: tog
    Select anonymous

For now until I can get us a specific channel please use the WarHammer 40k Dawn of War channel :D [/img]

2. oldskool

ok all here are a few more tasty ones

AT-AT comming around the corrner on Hoth

[​IMG]

here is one on Tattoine in Mos Eisley (saw the crashed space ship in another pic) and no I'm not going to shoot that harmless jawa :)

[​IMG]

and here is one from the cockpit veiw of the AT-AT, this is actually the battle from ESB where the empire is trying (does) destroy the hidden rebel base on Hoth

[​IMG]

And my favorite, yes thats me and I'm getting blown up about 2 storys high from the AT-AT cannons...thats what I get for trying to go toe-to toe with the beast :wink: Enjoy

[​IMG]

3. Bulgroz

Bulgroz Master of the Precious

Thanks for screenies - I'm confused, you talk about tie fighters but the screenies show AT-ATs and a Jawa :)
    Edit: looks like you posted the same screenies twice :)

about multiplayer, is it any good in terms of team work? Are there voice comms? Is there a map as well as a minimap? What are the types of gameplay? Cap and hold like BF, or team deathmatch? Different character classes or not? If yes, what are they?

Sorry, just curious, if I buy it it'll be mostly for the MP side of things - though I might be tempted by the SP.

4. Basie

Basie Retired Administrator

Yeah, but it's... Star Wars... so who cares? :roll: :wink:

5. oldskool

8O 8O I dont know what happened there I swear I had the right pics up, ohhh well my brain is fried...so much shooting. lets see if I can aswer some of your questions

is it any good in terms of team work? Well havent really played long enough to know that although it would seem that it is, when we get a few more toggers going should be able to test that more, but as far as having to work as a team to complete missions, yes it would seem that a good team based stratigy would help out alot, and with all the vehicle types and weapons theres alot that can be done :)

Are there voice comms? yes supposedly I read on the website, but I havent messed at all with that yet :wink:

Is there a map as well as a minimap? Yes there is an overhead map, and your standard mini-map in the corner

What are the types of gameplay? Well that part I dont really know, as far as what I got a chance to play tonight, it was just TDM for the most part with recreations of actually movie battles in some parts, I dont know wheter or not there are diffrent game types avalible, but I'm not much on the server side so I imagine that info will come with time as well, I scanned the booklet but didnt see anything about game types right off :wink:

Different character classes or not? If yes, what are they? Too many to mention I mean you have 4 factions Rebel alliance,Galatic Empire, Republic,CIS.....with CIS you actually get to play a droideka :twisted: Thats is so cool let me tell you, but there are so many weapon types and caracter classes, like republic pilot, gets diffrent weapons that your republic trooper, and scouts get sniper rifles, and droids get all kinda of stuff, basicly each faction and class has specific weapons to it, like scouts=sniper rifes and some other stuff, basic storm troopers gets rifles and pistol, but there are quite a few choices per side for weapon options :wink:

And the single player is turning out to be alot of fun as well, and a little secret supposedly you get to see scenes from the final movie in episode 1 series 8O Ohh yeah cant wait to finsih SP and get to see that :)

Hope that helps after 8 hours or so of playing I'm glad I got it, like I said its nothihg spectacular as far as ground breaking, but the graphics are awsome and the game play is imersive, and as a HUGE star wars fan, I love to be able to be apart of the battles from the movies, good stuff I like it and I 'm having fun with it, 50 bucks well spent 8)

6. Lon

Lon Retired Captain

I officially hate you now Oldskool, we can't get the game in Australia until nex week :evil:

Thanks for the review and pics mate, sounds like the old SWG crowd are going to like it a lot :D

7. Lon

Lon Retired Captain

Exactly right mate, it's Star Wars, so it has to be good. That's what you meant right? :lol:

8. GiTFiDDle

GiTFiDDle Active Member

Nice review skool! I may have to sneak over to the game store again, and give it a try. Although I'm quite addicted to UO at the moment. Ill keep an eye on this one :wink:

9. ContraVersE

ContraVersE Retired Captain

I..I just ca-can't fight it...so...strong! NOOOOO! I won't give in!..can't..I mu-mustn't. Damn you! Damn you Oldskool!! I'm gonna have to get it on payday! :twisted:

10. oldskool

/Darth Vader voice on

Come to the dark side of the force Contraverse, it will only make you stronger :twisted:

/Darth Vader voice off

Yeah Contra its a nice change of pace, and when your tired of blasting ewoks, grab a flame thgrower and head over to UO, its always a win win situation LOL , glad to see your on board, and I'll blast your ass with a laser in a few then 8)

11. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Getting Started

Oldskool great review dude!

I went out and bought it right after I read it.... nice! I'll see you on line soon. Hey is that YOUR kid getting jumped by the cat???? 8O

...Man I'd get rid of that thing.... although a bit funny :wink:

seeya,

Scarecrow

12. oldskool

No scare not my kid LOL but very funny nonetheless hehe, thanks for your kind words, I'm having alot of fun playing the game, the only bad thing I can mention so far, is last night myself and Maclucy had some issues with finding servers and whatnot, after going to the offical website I found that they are addressing the problem, and should have a quick patch soon, the issue is the multi player server screen had alot of buggs curently, its shows servers that are not full 03/30 and you try to connect and get a server full message, so anyhoo this was a bit frustrating but alas I was fiddling around with my other machine and managed to get a server up and running and appearing on the main list, but alas I dont have extreme ammounts of bandwith, but I'd like to test how many I can put on it and have it still playable, so hope to see you all on TS soon and we have an offical SWBF channel now as well :)

13. RogueSlayer

RogueSlayer Retired Captain

I will be trying a few rounds of SP action sometime later tonight.

Can someone (read as OldSkool :lol: ) set up a time and place for some of us to meet up this weekend Friday/Saturday to get some group action?

14. CornBREAD

CornBREAD Retired Captain

Righteous!!!! The Force is Strong with this one. :D I'm sure NOW, I'll have to rush out and buy it.

Oldskool, may the flees of a thousand camels infest your bed. :wink:

15. Joe_Black

Joe_Black Active Member

tempting, vewwy vewwy tempting.... I'll have to wait until November tho.... my old comp won't run it too well methinks.... (wot I'm telling Mrs. joe anyhow :twisted: )

16. ContraVersE

ContraVersE Retired Captain

Negative, Joe! If you can run CoD, then you can run this game!

17. oldskool

And the same to you my friend :wink: LOL glad to have another on board

Slayer no probs with meeting up, weekends pretty much suck for me right now with my work schedule, but please you and anyone else is welcome to drop by the TS server, we have a SWBF channel set up there, so if your gonna play just log on TS and we can go from there, cant wait to battle with some fellow TOGers, and yes Joe, what Contra said :wink:

18. Ashin

Ashin Retired Administrator

Damn you Oldskool... I was going to wait a few weeks to hear what others said but after reading what you posted and the pics..not once but Twice! I just HAVE to get it now...Khrys is gonna KILL me now cause of you and your review.. 8O
    I love Star Wars, still have the old Tie fighter and x-wing games as well as rebellion. Now have to go out and get this one. 8)

See you and all the other Toggers there soon I'm sure.. Payday is but 24 hours away... :twisted: I wonder what the servers would cost... 8O

Ashin

19. oldskool

Now listen Ashin I want nothing to do with this decision, thats all I need is Khrys mad at me :D Shes getting really good at CoD and now with this game out, I'm only getting to play every once in a while, at least until the initial greatness wears off of SWBF :) Glad to have you on board Ashin will see you soon enough then :wink:

20. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Getting Started

oldskool,

Installed the game and mucked around for a little while last night. I gotta say the config setup is crazy!!!!!! Did you have issues with the setup? Getting your mouse keys, joystick configured - understanding the different axis labels - sent me mad last night!!

....otherwise cool game... :lol:

Scarecrow