State of Elyria dev journal and current development timeline

Discussion in 'Chronicles of Elyria (Public)' started by Seventythree, Aug 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Seventythree

Seventythree Getting Started

I recommend everyone with an interest in CoE to read this dev journal on the State of Elyria. Among other useful and interesting information in the article there's a timline for the production of the game. As it's, in my humble opinion, the most relevant information on the game at the moment I'll post it here.

" ... below is an approximate schedule - not of when we expect the work to be complete - but when we expect to be under active development toward a particular deliverable or milestone. Providing a timeline in this format allows us to have an open, transparent, candid conversation about what and when we're working on something, while still giving us the freedom to make changes sprint-to-sprint and change the dates of our internal milestones to suit our development needs."

For easy reading Q3, and Q4 means "Quarter 3 and Quarter 4." T1, T2, and T3 means "trimester 1, 2, or 3," and implies a 4-month window. S1 and S2 means "semester 1 or 2" and implies a six-month window of time.

1. V3 of the Website (Q3 2017)
    2. ElyriaMUD (Q4 2017)
    3. Alpha 1 (T1 2018)
    4. Server Selection (T1 2018)
    5. Settlement / Domain Selection (T2 2018)
    6. KoE (T2 2018)
    7. Design Experiences (T3 2018)
    8. Alpha 2 (T3 2018)
    9. Beta 1 (S1 2019)
    10. Prologue & CoE Adventure Toolkit (S1 2019)
    11. Exposition (S1 2019)
    12. Beta 2 (S1/S2 2019)
    13. Stress Test (Any paid account)(S2 2019)
    14. Launch (S2 2019)
    - Posted by Caspian of Soulbound Studios on July 27th 2017

2. Dolnor

Dolnor Bane of Crickets

I am starting to get worried about the project.
    1. V3 of the Website (Q3 2017)
    2. ElyriaMUD (Q4 2017)
    It is almost December 2017. Nary a word about Vox Elyria (was ElyriaMUD). I keep reading about delays...needing to be at shows causing delays...issues causing delays...etc. I suspect we'll hear at the end of the year/Jan1 2018 "Due to issues, we will be starting Vox Elyria in Q2 2018, adjusting throughout the project timeline +3 months." or something like it. Then in March 2018, we'll hear the same thing.

I've seen enough of this with Star Citizen. I've lost hope that SC will release before 2020.

TQQdles™

3. Seventythree

Seventythree Getting Started

I agree .. too some extent. . That they'd be delayed from the first, a little too optimistic, dates was pretty inevitable. But I had great hopes that when Soulbound were so specific as they were in the post you quoted I had great hopes. V3 of the website, I guess they'd argue is ongoing. Some small changes has been made but a lot of work is still needed ; outdated FAQ and video sections springs first to mind.

We're still in Q4 but I have little hope we (players) will see VoxElyria this year. The friends and family release they mention in today's post will probably happen before/during the holidays.

Maybe I'm naive, but I hope they realise how damning any delays at this point is and make an effort to get back on track asap.

I must've missed where they talk about delays, though. I don't read the journals too closely since it's been a long while since any of them got me very excited (the one posted today was totally useless to me). I still have faith that this can be a great game.

When the text above was written, I went back to re-read my earlier post. I've been looking at the timeline as firm date-periods when we'd expect to see things completed and that's getting my hopes up.

" ... below is an approximate schedule - not of when we expect the work to be complete - but when we expect to be under active development toward a particular deliverable or milestone. Providing a timeline in this format allows us to have an open, transparent, candid conversation about what and when we're working on something, while still giving us the freedom to make changes sprint-to-sprint and change the dates of our internal milestones to suit our development needs."

Re-reading this, as open-ended as it is, I'll try to be even a little more forgiving. Knowing I'm a bit biased and trying to see the best in Soulbound I'll revise their timeline internally. Everything on that timeline, I'll add a Q or two for when they should be out of "active development toward a particular deliverable or milestone" and actually present something. So, even though I as much as anyone would want to see more progress, even much more, I'd be hard pressed to say there's any delays on the present timeline. I believe they're working on the website and VoxElyria. On the matter of the website, I'm afraid I'm not in line with what a modern website should look like and I'll probably be pretty disappointed when it's "done". I care little for the flair, the concept art and such. I want functionality and what's on the website to be up-to-date (thinking FAQ again). As for VoxElyria, if they have it tested by friends and family (late) this quarter, depending on the outcome of the test we should really expect it somewhere between late Jan (if all is well) and shortly before summer (if there's unexpected "game-breaking" flaws).

Anyhow ... my opinion.

4. [TOG]Mandrake

[TOG]Mandrake Active Member Division Captain

Hi All a new Updated State of Elyria post has been made here please take a read.

Some of the Highlights are that due to Lack of a developer who was willing to take on the COE project without destroying the Vision of the game without loot boxs or cash shop for micro transactions. as COE has always promised not to do this they have stuck with there guns and are now choosing to organise there company so they can complete the game based off crowd funding. to do this they required to reduce staff.

now i have looked a into this some and found out that it was 3 out of the 28 staff that were fired and they were in positions that most work for the game has already been finished. so to be blunt they were non essential to the project. for me this is a both good & Sad news. good that they have reorganised and wont bow to stupid devs who want to ruin the game. sad that we had to loose staff over devs lack of vision.

personally i am unconcerned as i was one of the posts they reference as proponents of non Developer intervention. I feel a few choices made in the cutting of costs have been very good calls and if in a year when we are closer to release and have more of a game built i think they can revisit the devs and have more bargaining power.

i also want them to put in a merchandise shop so i can get me my COE Bling but we will have to wait on that.

sofar i feel happy in the way the company has been dealing with all this stuff and there approach to building this game. so for me this is not a pending peal of a doom but a intelligent choice considering the options available

but next few months have alot in store for us.

Feb Account mergers

soon after Name reservation and soon after that Server and domain selection.

please stay tuned for more updates