Steam Holiday Sale 2010 thread - What to buy

Discussion in 'Digital Distribution & Mobile Game Applications' started by PhatFreD, Dec 21, 2010.

1. PhatFreD

PhatFreD Well-Known Member

If you don't already own them, today is a good day to get:

- Borderlands
    - Torchlight
    - Counter Strike: Source

I picked up the Overlord pack for $3. I was looking at King Arthur but reviews seemed so and so.

2. Xavien

Xavien Retired Captain

Today fallout 3 is going for £17.99 Euro side, steam want there arms broke off for that :) what i mean is if you havent already then buy it, thats a bargin. Ive bought a few games so far for £6 or less. RE 5, Darksiders and saints row 2 for £2.50 not bad for the price of a pint :)

Its good that steam have a real bargin hunt on this year :) happy xmas everyone!

3. Ebonytears

Ebonytears Queen of the Abyss

Deathspank: Thongs of Virtue!! rofl type of silly game. Can't stop giggling.
    Also want to get the Abes Odeysse box...loved that game on the playstation.

4. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

I never finished Fallout 3 and have no interest in New Vegas. It was fun for an afternoon but they're not real fallout games in the slightest, at best they're Oblivion with different textures. Honestly, I'd have much preferred they build more of the Elder Scrolls series. Fallout was good because of it's writing and story, not because it was a big world. Fallout 3 is the game world's epitome of technology killing art.

I guess it's ok if you can forget what was good about Fallout 1 and 2, it'd be kinda like playing Terminator: Future Shock (one of their earlier, pre Morrowing games) on a newer engine. Would have greatly preferred Terminator Future Shock 2 though. Perhaps they only went after Fallout because they couldn't get another terminator licence again.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  5. HellJam

HellJam Getting Started

Just picked up CoD:MW2 for $45 - 50% off (about time they put a sale price on this one)
    Also got Burnout Paradise & Assassin's Creed II over the last couple of days

6. PhatFreD

PhatFreD Well-Known Member

Well my wishes were granted so I got Dragon Age today for $29.99.

I agree with Drac that Fallout 3 was really uninspiring. I spent a good 8 hours or so on it but I found it incredibly boring. I was contemplating Mass Effect 2 and Dead Rising 2 yesterday but couldn't make up my mind...

7. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

Mass Effect 2 is awesome. Dead Rising 2, not so much.

8. hadrian6616

hadrian6616 Well-Known Member

I got Empire Total War and Need for Speed Shift and two indie games: Razor 2 which is a top down arcade scroller - a refreshing break and enjoyable to play. Also Hacker Evolution - which is...different, interesting, difficult.

9. spiritwalker

spiritwalker Mechwarrior Online Captain

Flatout 2 only 1 dollar. Worth alot more. Good for a laugh :)

10. Jigoku

Jigoku Retired Captain

Today I got Splinter Cell: Conviction Deluxe and two of the indie packs, Fantasy and Brain; AU$24.50!

11. Thermal Ions

Thermal Ions Retired Captain

Quite enjoyable game - especially played co-op. Challenging at times, and the stealth is a nice change from other games. Although I understand it's not stealth in the same vein as some of the earlier games where you didn't have to "stealthily" take everyone out.

12. Mecha-Wombat

Mecha-Wombat Well-Known Member

just got cities XL

looks heaps better than simcity 4

13. Xavien

Xavien Retired Captain

Interesting view on fallout there Drac :) gonna have to agree to disagree there on fallout 3\NV however. I feel the 3rd and first person view adds to the realism. Beth have done a really good job taking up where interplay left off, but i guess we all have our own opinions :)

I actually love dead rising 2, found it fun not just cause it has celldweller doing some of the music. I dont think theres a zombie game i could dislike, it has nice childish humor and you get to kill thousands of zombies! The only thing i found a bit crap about the game was capcom are lazy, its just a straight port from the consoles so if you want to edit the keys you need to edit the file manually. I agree mass effect 2 is awesome, actually the mass effect series is my all time fav games.

I do have some good news for you though, the next Elder Scrolls V will be out at the end of next year so you might get on better with that. Its going to be based in skyrim, so nords aplenty. Also they have a new engine so hopefully the faces will greatly improve.

As for todays sales, steam have put up a few games they had on sale the other day, some are slightly cheaper again then they were a couple of days ago but i didnt see anything to exciting today. Shame.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  14. C4

C4 Retired Captain

Today only sale dirt cheap titles!! BC2 and Witcher are must have for rpg and fps fans!

15. Father

Father The Boss Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Burnout Paradise is good fun on PC, the in game music is awful though and strangely enough you can't play your mp3's in game so I run media player in the background and listen to my own music when playing in this one, makes all the difference.

16. Jigoku

Jigoku Retired Captain

While a lot of the music is awful, there is some great licensed music in there. Just go to the jukebox settings and disable the crap ...

17. MMOGAddict

MMOGAddict Well-Known Member

Got FEAR complete pack (cause I didn't have 2) $16.24
    BF:BC2 $13.60

They are both cheap enough today to make me go against my normal policy of not supporting any game that has regional pricing. (Games would have been and $9.99 & $6.80 respectively if purchased from US store)

18. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

Interesting, I've never seen them repeat sales before. Was hoping they'd re-do the Oddworld pack, I missed that as I thought it was only the old 2D games.

Fallout was never about realism (two headed cows, a mutant with a tree growing out of his head called Herbert, no wait, Bob), it was about storytelling, had awesome writing and lots of humour which were critical elements I felt Beth discarded without enough careful consideration. Also if you had ever played their earlier Terminator Future Shock game you'd know just what an awesome opportunity was passed up in order to make a "realistic" yet rather dry version of Fallout.

I'm not saying the game is bad, it's just not a true "Fallout" style game, and they had a better IP in terminator to build a post apocalyptic world with that would have fit with the realism and stark/vast atmosphere. If you can forget what the earlier Fallout games were like then I'm sure it's great and maybe some day I will be able to play them but such sacrifices would not have been needed if it was set in the post d-day Terminator universe.

Regardless, It looks like they're going back to Eldar Scrolls now: http://www.elderscrolls.com/ ES5: Skyrim announced.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  19. Benda

Benda Well-Known Member

loved riding the mbikes in that game

20. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

At the moment you're not missing much. The other 2 are by far the worst ports I've ever played. Understandable somewhat since they were designed specifically for the Xbox, but in their current state they're pretty poor.

I'm on a decent machine, only a few months old and Stranger's Wrath struggles to get even 20 fps most of the time. Only options are for several 4:3 resolutions (which are simply listed as low, med, high and ultra). I can't even play it full screen, it's like it alt tabs itself. Should not have been released in this state.

Munch's isn't so bad, but there's no resolution options at all, although someone has made an app that let's you change it and also fixes some crashes.

Both also have issues with gamepad compatability, crashes and don't have customisable controls. The devs said these things will be fixed but I don't understand why they released the games without these basic features.