Steam Holiday Sale 2010 thread - What to buy

Discussion in 'Digital Distribution & Mobile Game Applications' started by PhatFreD, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

Wow, that sounds bad.

2. Thermal Ions

Thermal Ions Retired Captain

At a guess, I'd say they wanted to hit the Christmas sale period and thus get in before March/April when there's quite a lot of stuff coming out.

3. rubicon

rubicon Retired Captain

Haven't Oddworld Inhabitants given up development? Lorne Laning's gone to work on scripts for Hollywood last I read...

4. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

Not exactly, Oddworld Inhabitants has been working on a film which will have 2 (I think) games based on it. They're not done with developing, just decided to take a break.

The Munch & Stranger ports were started by Oddworld Inhabitants but then they handed it off to Just Add Water who did the rest (or by the looks of it, nothing)

5. Xavien

Xavien Retired Captain

By realism i meant feeling part of a world that was living and breathing rather then realistic as in realistic from our world point of view. The humor is lacking in bethesda's games thats true, they have tried a little harder in NV but maybe tried a little to hard. The thing thats also missing from both games is a long story line. If you were to follow the main story (especially in fallout 3) you could finish the game in no time at all.

I think the thing i liked the most about the games is exploration and its sand box theme. I love that, discovering new places and quests\missions etc... I do remember the original fallouts and they did have a certain feeling that the new ones dont have but i still like them.

Oblivion is still the best out of the 3 though and im looking forward to skyrim. I had the original collectors edition of oblivion but the disc was damaged so i bought it again on steam recently so i could play through it again :) The good thing about all 3 games is the player made mods. Theres thousands of them and some people have made some that are really awesome. Skyrim will be awesome hopefully.

6. PhatFreD

PhatFreD Well-Known Member

Today you should pick up Machinarium for $2.99 if you don't have it already. This Czech indie adventure game is beautiful and full of unforgettable characters. It is like playing an awesomely illustrated children's book.

I might pick up Killing Floor since it seems popular amongst the other TOGers.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  7. Draadnor

Draadnor Well-Known Member

Beat ya too it! Also got Serious Sam Gold Pack for US$3.99

8. NackaJeem

NackaJeem Well-Known Member

Picked up Batman Arkham Asylum for $7.50, stunning game to look at. I love the controls and the freedom-of-movement too. This is not a kid's game though. I can't believe how good this game looks. It ranks 91/100 on Metcritic.
    It's still on special for $15.00. Buy it, it's bananas.

Also picked up all three Flatout titles for a paltry $3.75, Lego Batman for the kids (if they can get me off it) for $7.50 and Crysis Warhead for $11.25.

I love Steam and Christmas holidays.

9. Ebonytears

Ebonytears Queen of the Abyss

I was looking at CityXL, but now they have Sim City 4 for $4.99.......*sigh* I can't decide.

10. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

Section 8 for $5 eh, that's a far cry from the $80 it release at. Still not sure about it though, it's multiplayer only right?

Of the nearly 300 friends I have on Steam, only Geng owns it.

11. RMBear

RMBear Well-Known Member

Do what I did - buy both... :(

12. Benda

Benda Well-Known Member

i did that too.

had to buy crysis just to get rid of the old ye disks

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  13. Ebonytears

Ebonytears Queen of the Abyss

yeah ended up getting SimCity4...City XL has gone back up in price so it will have to wait :)

So many games....not enough money lol!:p

14. NackaJeem

NackaJeem Well-Known Member

It's single player as well as multiplayer. The original trailer had me hooked and at $5.00... I bought it :) and NEARLY bought Killing Floor when it was on special. Takes my total number of Steam games to 117.

Anyone thinking about buying Crysis or Dirt 2, do it. They're both sensational.

15. PhatFreD

PhatFreD Well-Known Member

Well I think I am pretty sure that I am done shopping now. I have to remind myself that I have enough games to keep me busy for a long while now and there are new titles coming soon as well.

My list of bargains this xmas were:

Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition $29.99
    Mass Effect 2 $19.99
    Super Meat Boy $3.25
    Zen Bound 2 $2.99
    Overlord Complete Pack $3.00
    F.E.A.R $2.49
    Killing Floor Bundle $6.95

Total: $68.66

The total was not too bad so I am pretty happy. I might snap up a less-than-$5 if anything really interesting pops up, but otherwise I am done.

16. Xavien

Xavien Retired Captain

Nice collection there :) ive only spent £13 at the moment, hasnt been much on offer for me at the moment. Most of the ones like dragon age and mass effect i pre-ordered. Still a few days to go yet though so hopefully there will be some more bargins on the way.

I was considering cities XL 2011 but i havent played that type of game before so was reluctant to spend the money as i couldnt find a demo or a working demo of the original Cities XL.

17. Parkey

Parkey Well-Known Member

Good game mate.

Been playing it alot lately. Just really good fun.

Complete Pack of Mount and Blade is up for $10.00.
    Awesome game!

18. Xavien

Xavien Retired Captain

Mount and blade is awesome. Love taking over castles when the odds are against me. I would recomend it :) I paid full price for it but at a discounted price its a bargin if you like that type of game!

19. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

I got section 8, seems like a fun shooter. I'm guessing it scored poorly because it was priced as a full game rather than a half price multiplayer shooter which probably would have seen it get a lot more love. For $5 even the UT like single player campaign with bots is worth it. It's better than Unreal 2 anyway and I haven't even gotten into the multiplayer yet.

20. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

I grabbed it as well, seemed worth a go at $5 and the upcoming expansion sounds pretty decent too.