Steam S.T.A.L.K.E.R. queries

Discussion in 'Digital Distribution & Mobile Game Applications' started by Ned, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Ned

Ned Public Forum Coordinator

For those who have the Steam version of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, I'd like to know what version of the game you have and what country you're in.

To find out what version you have, start the game and look at the main screen bottom-left. Different parts of the world have different official listed patches.

cheers
    ned

2. ticklenut

ticklenut Well-Known Member

original version, unpatched(i think), Australia.

Oh uninstalled too.

3. Thermal Ions

Thermal Ions Retired Captain

1.0005 showing here Ned.

4. Ned

I was afraid of that. The last offical patch was actually 1.0006. It appeared on the GSC Game World FTP but not all of the offical sites in the various languages host it, which is rather strange. GSC Game World is the Ukrainian company that developed STALKER. It also hosts the offical game sites. For example, the russian site has the patch but the english one doesn't. The russian and english readme files are the same.

I don't know what would happen if you tried to update the Steam version of STALKER with the world-wide version of 1.0006 that was found on the GSC Game World FTP.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback :)

edit: the 1.0006 patch contains multiplayer fixes and additions ONLY so it's only required for online play. There's no need to even want this patch if you're only interested in the singleplayer.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  5. Thermal Ions

I thought I'd read somewhere that the 1.0006 wasn't officially released by the publisher (or apparently it was released, then it was withdrawn either due to issues, or a developer / publisher falling out), which is why it has never gotten to steam.

Came across the following post which purports to make the 1.0006 patch work on steam version.
    GameSpot Forums - PC & Mac Games - How to patch [STEAM] STALKER to 1.0006
    Not tried it myself. Don't know whether it would be viewed as technically breaking the licence agreement or not and considering the growing value of my steam account and how little I've even played the single player - likely won't bother trying it.

6. Ned

Here's the official russian site translated
    Google Translate | [noparse]http://www.stalker-game.com/ru[/noparse] - downloads - updates

The english versions were released (it appeared on the GSC Game World FTP; Russian, US, and world-wide version) but for some reason never hit their english official site even though they are both hosted by GSC Game World. I guess they released it in Russia first due to it being made there. From that point for some unknown reason they didn't want to share the love! One thing I do know is each patch broke the huge number of mods available for this game and many complained of this. Maybe due to this and the fact that 99% of players mainly play the singleplayer game AND the fact that the 1.0006 patch is solely a multiplayer patch, they didn't bother adding it to the english (and other) sites... maybe they got sick of the tears :mrgreen:

More proof that this patch is offical is the inclusion of the BattlEye anti-cheat system.
    BattlEye - The Anti-Cheat Engine

FYI, if you see a 1.0007 patch going around, this is a community made patch ie NOT official.

I still don't know why Steam aren't patching STALKER to 1.0006

The Steam version of Doom 3 is patched to 1.3.1 when the official site (when it was up) only ever mentioned v1.3. The later patch (v1.3.1) was released by id software and appeared on their FTP.

SOURCE: Blue's News: .plan File

7. Jigoku

Jigoku Retired Captain

8. Ned

read the last two posts you crazy man!

9. Jigoku

Jigoku Retired Captain

I figured the question hadn't been answered ...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I just saw that TI posted exactly the same link I did ... ooops ... =p

10. Ned

The 1.0006 patch is offical but only landed on the russian official game site. The only difference between it and the english versions and other languages is the actual languages. This is the reason why in my original post I asked for version and country details. Do Steam games globally have the same versions in all of there games? If you were to only go by the official game sites then russians would potentially have Steam version 1.0006 and Australians would have v1.0005

Steam in the past has looked further than offical sites to find out the latest versions for the games they host. Steam updates Doom 3 to 1.3.1 even though the offical site only ever mentioned v1.3

-see post #6 for more detail-

11. Jigoku

Jigoku Retired Captain

No no ...1.0000006 was never official worldwide.

GSC was also the publisher of SoC in Russia, hence they can do whatever they want there. However in the rest of the world THQ is the publisher and for whatever reason decided 1.006 wouldn't be released.

As far as I can tell from a bit of searching, 1.3.1 is the latest official release from iD, hence it is on Steam.

And it isn't about "official" sites with regards to the Steam version; the publisher must submit specific patches to Valve, which then get uploaded. THQ didn't submit 1.006, iD did submit 1.3.1.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
    Ned likes this.
  12. Ned

ok cool, that makes sense :)

I'd like to see Steam end up with the 1.0006 patch as it's solely multiplayer and it includes the BattlEye anti-cheat system. Any Steam player wanting to play online is out of luck. The last time i looked (yesterday) there were no 1.0005 servers.

THQ submitted 1.0005 to steam yet their site only mentions 1.0004 :?:
    THQ - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl - PC - Patches

...now I have a headache, time to play a game :mrgreen:

13. Jigoku

Jigoku Retired Captain

Also, re: Doom3, a fresh install of 1.0 will ask you to update to 1.3.1 if you use the ingame updater.

Patch versions on Steam do my head in sometimes, especially when the users go nuts at Valve over something they have little to no control over ; one of us (Steam mods) has to wade in and clean up the mess.

14. Thermal Ions

You Valve fanboy* you :p

It's incredible the power that some posters attribute to Valve in regards to third party games. I like LOL'ing at the ones who get so worked up they can't differential Valve from Steam :D

* For the record, the extent of my steam account only makes me a fan who happens to be male - quite a different prospect
    ;)