STEAMED over Steam

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by Trimethicon, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Trimethicon

Trimethicon Well-Known Member

Is anyone else repulsed by Steam? I had no choice but to install it, the game wouldn't install without it. I then have to launch it any time I want to play HL2 or CS:S. Then each and every time I do launch either game my firewall alerts me that the hl2.exe is trying to access the internet, and if you deny access the game doesn't launch. What do people do that don't have internet access. I don't want the Steam program running on my pc or in my systray.

I know why VALVe created Steam and its intent to have such a program running but I think its intrusive.

Now granted; I just installed the game last night and I haven't been able to get into the settings for Steam so maybe other people have confronted the same issues and have found an easy way around it by disabling an option or two. I'm not a game pirate and I'm not looking for any advice that would be deemed illegal but has anyone figured out a way to run HL2 without big brother Steam taking me and MY computer hostage?

2. Ned

Ned Public Forum Coordinator

I agree.

3. Rickety

Rickety Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

No

4. Howitzer

Howitzer Well-Known Member

Adsa wrote:

Howitzer wrote:
    Hmmmm. Couldn't log into Steam this afternoon. I played some this morning at 4:00am after it told me it was unlocking HL2. Way cool game. My only problem with Steam is. If I can't log in....I can't play the game. even though its on my machine. It seems that certain .dll's have to come from them in order for the game to run. Anybody have info on this.

here is some info of the quick reference card.

Quote:
    A Steam account is required to play Half-Life 2 and an internet connection is required to create and use your Steam account……..etc etc
    An “Offline mode “ will also be available if the “Remember my password†is checked on the Steam login screen

Offline mode will not be available and an internet connection will be required if:
    1.) You do no select “Remember my password†option on login screen
    2.) You choose to login as a different user
    3.) You check “Don’t save account information on this computer†on the Steam Account Setting screen.

I have not tried this offline mode yet...since I havn't had a problem with steam after the first day.

5. jjades

jjades Well-Known Member

Offline mode seems to work fine for me SO FAR :?

6. Wayfarer

Wayfarer Well-Known Member

ahh Pirate Paranoia.

Thanks for the tips. :)

7. Demon_Keeler

Demon_Keeler Well-Known Member

it does seem a bit stupid having to have an internet connection to play a single player game! but all that aside I'm addicted to the magnum ;)