Steel Ocean

Discussion in 'Free to Shoot' started by Zalzany, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Zalzany

Zalzany Active Member

Ever played World of Warships and go, "I feel like this is missing something?" Well now you know why. Steel Ocean I just started playing its basically World of Warships but they hand out gold weekly, and monthly for being active and doing well top 3000 players in more then one categories get free gold, just like you get it with log in bonuses from time to time. They even got 3 different freebie dlc packs you can get on steam that gives you extra ship slots, and I got 2 premium ships for free as well. Now what really sets this apart minus that it feels more like a f2p then any f2p I have ever played more so then even STO, is submarines. That is right you read that right submarines, they put them in and did a quite simple, yet great system for them. *GIANT WALL OF TEXT WARNING: if you can't handle that will link a video at bottom, a little too excited about finding this game*

For starters with subs you get an oxygen bar, bigger subs get more, but take longer to dive and surface. Now way it works is there is 3 modes for a sub, surface you can fire deck guns if it has any, and Japanese kid you not the largest in game can launch aircraft such as spotters off their larger subs as well, then you got shallow dept, at this depth your harder to spot but not invisible fully, every one has sonar so you get a poor mans stealth so to speak. Now at shallow this is your bread and butter mode this is where you try to sneak in as close as you can to the big ships, then fire your torps, note that firing them of course makes it so any one in area can detect you for a few seconds they are not exactly quite, nor is flooding and launching them from your sub, and last bit about shallow guns can't hit you, but any passing torpedos can. Last mode is deep dive, this mode you are much harder to detect but slower, and use air more, also can not fire torps. Now Deep dive modes only purpose is to hide, nothing can kill you but depth charges which destroyers, and most cruisers have, but if you do it right you will be really hard to spot, do it last second and well they are already on you, so you just made it easier to get killed as your crazy slow.

Now one of the other things I noticed and liked about this is the set up, you ever ran a battleship in WoWS and went, "I loathe how drunk my secondary gunners are," well in this game you hit 2 and you then control your secondaries, which have pretty good reach unlike WoWS, norm so far I seen low tier with them is I fire two shots up to around 4k or so meters out, in time it takes for main guns to reload so if some one gets with in 3k and starts thinking they can torpedo run me with their DD or crusier well I give them a mountain of lead that proves they need a bit more then just bravado to pull that gambit off. Similar to that only the machine guns auto fire on aircraft, it has aircraft carriers like WoWS but its a bit different set up entirely for using them. Anyways any one with AA cannons hits 3 to swap to those and you even get a nifty little lead sight for the fighters to aim you AAA at the aircraft, but the catch is you got stop using your main weapons to do this or time it so they are reloading durring this if your in a fight while under aircraft attack. Oh and you still get ammo selection they got the standard ap, and HE shells you just use alt 1, alt 2 to change, and like wargaming at least days of old there is gold ammo but in normal matches its pretty silly to use them but in 5v5 ranked matches they have seasons like an MMO for pvp rankings that is where people use theri free gold up to get the fancy ammo, not the day to day grind stuff.

Last little bit that makes this really different is instead of dedicated crews or officers you got to pay to retrain you get basically cards with commanders who each have abilities and exp bars, you can swap them out at will on every ship with no penalty, but you got grind them up or pay in game currnecy out the nose for special naval training books to level them up. But once they are leveled that is it. But like cards the rare ones come in little boxes you can buy or you get some randoms for daily/weekly events. You could get some really neat ones or just get junk. You can sell unwanted ones however for currency. But because of this for instance I got 3 subs one from the 3 nations that use them in game US, Japanese, and German they all use the same exact commanders in their slots so doing the 3x exp wins every day in them means they get good exp. Same with my BBs which I know got 4 going on 5 I think, on IJN, USN, 2 HMS (one is battle cruiser I think but same main gun size, just less secondaries and more speed, so same commander set up for me at least) and one German.

In total there is 4 fully fleshed out nations, US, Japan, Germany and UK. Every one but Germany has aircraft carriers, but UK lacks any subs, minus that they all got their own Battleship, destroyer, and cruiser lines. They have french, soviet, and Chinese premium only nations as well, not sure what story is there if they will get more but for now their tech tree is just store front for the tiny amount of premiums they have. There is several tiers of ships, and for once all of them seem to have important roles to be had, for instance DDs in wargaming were the rogues, in this they are the scouts the eyes for the BBs who have hawk eye mode, they hit shift and basically go into world of tanks artillery mode. The DDs other role is making subs lives very short the got the best sonar, and our so fast and nimble they can either torp or simply climb on top of a spotted sub and depth charge them. I know first hand I had guys in reverse moving faster then I could retreat in my sub, forcing me to surface for more speed then dive again before being shelled, just to force them to over shoot and not back right on me to depth charge me. The Cruisers can do the same roles but got better weapons but kind of the jack of all master of none. Carriers are the same as in WoWS with a new touch they can pick what each wing uses and there is deck space for take off and landing you can also pick the size of your wings personally. So for instance my starter has deck of 6 I can have 2 teams of 3 leaving th flight deck at once or a max of 4 in one squad, same with landing with smaller 3 teams I could have one land while one takes off. Another jarring difference is they get scout planes, much better speed, and view range, like the spotter planes some BBs, Cruisers, and even Japanese subs can launch, you use these instead of fighter plans to scout, but their defense is really bad. Also all aircraft have fuel bar on them for the wing so you can't take crazy long trips to hit people like in WoWS or risk them falling into the ocean on the return trip, there are commanders card that buff fighters, bombers and I got one that even ups fuel capacity as his level one buff.

Over all its a very different experience from World of Warships graphically its a little more rough and not polished but game play wise I am freaking hooked.

Little nicer looking now this video is from 2015
    [video=youtube_share;pAKYaABFyxw]https://youtu.be/pAKYaABFyxw[/video]

Newer video from some one I don't follow
    [video=youtube_share;pcfYBrQCSEY]https://youtu.be/pcfYBrQCSEY[/video]

Oh and found this on the steam forums this was not shown on the DLC page in steam store, but its a free dlc for a rank V Battleship so if you play you can have a free toy for dealing with this giant rant :p Steel Ocean - Repulse Package on Steam Oh and with the free dlc or paid you open it, then go to storage, nonbattle items then right click USE them. they don't instantly show up, you can also sell them for currency if your crazy as well, but open this one at bare min then sell it for free port slot :p

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  2. Sidnore

Sidnore Just Joined

Been meaning to check this out, Is it less grindy than WoW?

3. Zalzany

Zalzany Active Member

It is and it isn't sorry for late response. Its not bad at all just low pop game but because of it most the guys are nice.

4. WendyLong

WendyLong Just Joined

It is a free to play a shooting game. Steel Ocean also restores hundreds of classic sea battle tactics and sea battle maps. The players may replay the “Wolf pack tactics”, “Competing for T head” and other famous tactics at the real time, and independently design the new tactics based on the maps, natural environment, weather conditions, warship combination and other objective factors.
    rolling sky