Steam Streaming Games on Steam

Discussion in 'Digital Distribution & Mobile Game Applications' started by Purg, May 26, 2014.

1. Purg

Purg Well-Known Member

Surprised this hasn't been discussed. Was in Beta (wasn't aware of it) and now in the current Steam client release.

Previously I was using Splashtop which required you to run borderless windowed mode which was problematic for some games. Have tried a few games with Steam's version and it works brilliantly. Lag is barely noticeable - not that I would advocate playing twitch shooters over it.

I'm considering building a small Steam stream box for the living room to attach to the TV in there. While I have a 46" TV attached to my gaming PC, my computer chair isn't quite as comfy as my lounge - and the missus complains about spending so much time in front of the PC. Have been streaming games to my notebook over WiFi at much higher frame rates than if I were to run the game natively.

Thought the concept of streaming games over the internet was farcical when it was first announced, now I'm convinced it's completely doable.

2. joeshmoe554

joeshmoe554 Well-Known Member

I'm suitably impressed. I tried it today with my gaming laptop and media PC and it worked great. Having the ability to play games at my computer desk or from the couch without needing 2 gaming computers sounds like a dream come true.

3. Karlos

Karlos Well-Known Member

I'm amazed how well this worked. Thanks for the post Purg.

My missus laptop is only a core2duo with lame intel onboard graphics and it streamed very nicely. Easy to setup too.

Of course if your running triple screens on the main computer like me at 5960x1080 it will do its best to shrink that down to 1024x768 on a little laptop screen. But for a normal one screen 1920x1080 setup it will work perfectly.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  4. Purg

Purg Well-Known Member

When I went shopping for my current notebook, it's first priority was the same native resolution as my desktop monitor. I had tried streaming to my iPad but the goofy 4:3 aspect ratio just shrunk the size too small.

Depending on how much Steam price their soon to be Steambox(?), streaming games from your gaming machine to your lounge on one of these will be an interesting option. Part of the allure of the console is being able to play from your lounge on a big screen.

5. Karlos

Karlos Well-Known Member