Streaming Media to XBox 360

Discussion in 'Games Talk' started by Yukkione, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Yukkione

Yukkione Retired Captain

As you know the XBox 360 won't play many of the most popular video formats such as Dvix and Xvid... That is to say Microsoft wants you to use their methods and codex. There is however an easy way to stream all your video content to your XBox without modding it. (assuming that you have your Windows based PC conected to your XBox360) First, download this free media sharing app called TVersity. Then Follow this simple guide. TVersity will "on the fly" convert popular video encoded video files to ones used by the 360. I've been using it and it works unbelievably well. If your Windows Media player can play a file, then you can watch it on your TV. (This will also stream music and picture files) Enjoy!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2007
  2. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

Cool, I wanted to watch my anime on my computer on my big tv. If this works I'll be very happy!

3. Scratch

Scratch Getting Started

Thanks for the link, I've been looking for a reason to ditch my old xbox (running XBMC) and if I manage to get this running, I just found that reason!

4. Tycalt

Tycalt Retired Captain

Still run XBMC on my old xbox even after trying Tversity. Just found it was not quite as nice as XBMC.

5. jonny2combz

jonny2combz Well-Known Member

Get Media centre and Win Avi then you can stream all the media you want to your TV it works great for me :)

6. Scratch

Scratch Getting Started

I have to agree. I was really keen to have my 360 replace my set top box, dvd player and original xbox (with XBMC), but after spending many hours getting TVersity and Transcode360 working and being happy with the results, I just can't live without all the nice little features of XBMC.

It also goes without saying that not being able to fast forward, reverse or even resume is a gigatic negative for transcoding. Maybe in a parallel universe MS will patch in native DIVX/XVID capablities in to the 360.

7. Kellin

Kellin Getting Started

This program shows real promise. I've only gotten one internet video feed to work right, but that's operator error.

8. ozivillan

ozivillan Well-Known Member

i use ORB to stream from my PC to the 360 and my PDA phone, as my PC is quite dated now i have to stream at lower bitrates, so cannot comment on what quality is like from i higher end PC to 360, set up was a lot easier than other applications i have tried and failed with

Supported Devices | Orb Networks

9. mettleking

mettleking Well-Known Member

Orb works beautifully with all my Xvid files on the 360 ... it justs takes a couple of minutes to buffer, then away it goes ... It looks really great on a 50" plasma screen as well :)

10. Incise

Incise Active Member

That last dashboard update, lets you watch most avi formats. I have been watching movies using usb stick.

11. mettleking

mettleking Well-Known Member

So true ... I had been looking at various media center type devices to just listen and watch .. and now I have the best of both worlds ... not for too much more :)

12. Paulie_Walnuts

Paulie_Walnuts Well-Known Member

Same, I was tossing up building a HTPC or media center but ended up grabbing an X360 on the weekend. It's cheaper and I get to play GTAIV as soon as it's released. :)

13. Feekie

Feekie Well-Known Member

Paulie, we all know you bought it for the console version of WoW Molten Core.

14. Incise

Incise Active Member

Arhhh not the dreaded Molten Core, I waited and waited for left Thunderfury binding to drop from Barron Geddon for over a year, it never did. Had everything else 100 arcanites, 10 Elementium Bar, Essence of Firelord, the right binding. Then I give up and went to MC on my rogue alt, it dropped! Bloody MC.

15. Paulie_Walnuts

Paulie_Walnuts Well-Known Member

True Feeks, I think I was sold by the fact that it "Has Sound!"

16. pug916

pug916 Just Joined