Stupid Observation...

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by MaBell37, Feb 11, 2006.

1. MaBell37

MaBell37 Getting Started

I just noticed in a coupla threads that some person(s) have a little write up added to their sig that says something about being a Vampire Drill Sergeant.

I was just wondering where they got Drill SERGEANT from, because in the US Marine Corps, there is no such animal. They are called Drill INSTRUCTORS and take the former as a vile insult, as the US Army calls it's baby-sitters Drill Sergeants.

Like the title of this thread says, just another stupid observation from the peanut gallery.

2. BiLLy_Jack

BiLLy_Jack Just Joined

senior drill instructor;

Last edited: Feb 12, 2006
    1 person likes this.
  3. ScopE

ScopE Active Member

That's interesting, Mabell.

I am curious, so I Googled a bit ...
    One of the first hits was the web-page of the United States Army Training Center Fort Jackson, SC
    http://www.jackson.army.mil/dss/
    It's got the offical US Army logo on it so I assume it's an official site, being Fort Jackson and all.
    The url itself ends in "/dss/"; the name of the home page is
    "United States Army
    Drill Sergeant School"

I guess the web-master/-designer could have it wrong...?
    You're in Georgia ... is that far enough away from South Carolina to have subtle differences in meaning?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2006
  4. Kaindii

Kaindii Active Member

LOL!

5. k22236821

k22236821 Retired Advisor

I think what Ma was trying to point out was that in BF2 the US Forces depicted are the US Marine Corp, not the US Army. And in the USMC the guys with the Smokey the Bear hats are Drill Instructors, and would be greatly offended if they were refered to as Drill Sergeants, which is what the US Army calls their guys.

Remember they are two totally different organizations with a friendly, if deep seated rivalry.

6. Dars183

Dars183 Retired Moderator

Lucky this is just a game then :wink: :D

Cheers

7. Wayfarer

Wayfarer Well-Known Member

Yeah, but in RL they have guns. :eek:

8. Vulcan21

Vulcan21 Well-Known Member

yep, and the fact that there are two other armies represented in BF2, not just the USMC. ;)

9. ScopE

ScopE Active Member

Yeah; I did wonder about the whole Marines vs Army thang...
    Weird that the vernacular could be so subtly different between the two.

10. MaBell37

MaBell37 Getting Started

Leave it to one of my bestest buddies to clarify things for me in my absence since I apparently speak french, lol!

I can always count on Troy to back me up, Thanks Troy!

By the way......friendly......????? Is that what you call it??? hmmmm.....lol

11. ScopE

ScopE Active Member

I do find it interesting to hear the 'cultural' things within your armed forces... e.g. rivalry between Army/Marines.
    We get the Hollywood-filtered stuff obviously in Oz, but I guess it just washes over and seems not authentic anyway.

12. MaBell37

MaBell37 Getting Started

LOL, understood!

Suffice it to say, in combat Marines and soldiers get along famously. It's just when not in combat that competitive is the understatement of the millenia, lol. Marines and soldiers have been known to fight, vehemently, over the simplest things, speaking from experience, of course.

As for the titles, Marines are called; Marines/Gyrenes/Jarheads/Leathernecks/Devildogs/etc....

with the exception of number 2 and 3 above, anyone can pretty much call a Marine those names, if you regress and call them one of number 2 or 3 above, depending on the Marine, you could very well be taking your life in your hands, especially if you are a soldier.

US Army forces are called soldiers, and US Marine Corps forces are called Marines or Combat Marines, of which I am the latter. Any of that crap you see on TV or in the movies about people calling Marines - soldiers, and getting away with it is just that, a crock of shit, lol.

I could go on for a long time, so, if you have any questions about anything you see in TV or movies, ask me, I will gladly clear it up for you. Wytefang was in the Navy and he could probably clear it up also as the Marines and Navy have a close relationship. Most people think they are at odds, but, simply put, the Marine Corps is Department of the Navy, also known as the Navy's Infantry. This goes back to Revolutionary War times when British ships and Colonial ships would fight at sea and there had to be a fighting force on the ship for close quarters fighting, and, as the navy didn't do that type of thing, the US Marine Corps was born in Tun Tavern, Philadelphia on November 10th, 1775. They existed for the duration of the war until our independence and was disbanded for 13 years, when they were reactivated for the Spanish/American War and have been in existance ever since. The 13 years is referred to as the Marine Corps' restructuring and rearming period. Though effectively they were not officially paid or housed AS Marines, but rather Naval personnel.

ANYWAY, like I said before, anytime you have a question, fire away!

13. k22236821

k22236821 Retired Advisor

So I hear that the Navy SEALs are the best. Is that true? :p

14. MaBell37

MaBell37 Getting Started

Navy SEALS are PUSSIES!

Ok, to be fair.....IN THEIR ELEMENT, Navy SEALS are bad ass mofo's. That element being the water (whether river/lake/sea/ocean) THAT is THEIR turf. On dry land, they suck ass!

I just call it as I see it and tell it as it is, THAT'S why Force RECON exists, to cover that which the SEALS don't.

REMEMBER, the Marine Corps is Department of the NAVY, so, effectively Recon and SEALS are equal bad asses, just with different area's of expertise.

(smartass!)

15. ScopE

ScopE Active Member

Thanks MaBell :)
    It's all interesting stuff to me.

I continue to read books, mainly written from soldiers' points of views, about their experiences in various armed forces.
    What continues to intrigue me is how a soldier copes with combat conditions (indeed how they have coped in last century's conflicts) and how they rationalize their situation against the various and changing attitudes of the societies they're from. (And I struggle for words a bit, so bear with me. I don't mean to sound silly or morbid or 'deep' here ... I am genuinely interested.)

• Chickenhawk (Combat Huey transport pilot in Vietnam ... soz can't remember author)
    • Black Hawk Down (Mark Bowden?... duh... Battle Of Mogadishu Somalia)
    • If I Die In A Combat Zone (1973, Tim O'Brien; reading now ... 1st person, Vietnam)
    • Trackers (Australian ... 1st person account, follows use of tracking dogs in Vietnam)
    • Birdsong (fiction, WW1 trenches, British, use of mines/miners)
    • Heroes Before Gallipoli (Australian, interesting true account by Oz journo of what led to Australia's first casualties of WW1... in New Guinea, NOT France !!!)
    • Jarhead (when it was only the book .... seeing movie tonight)
    It's partly personal.

My late grandfather was a POW of the Germans, captured at the Battle Of Bullecourt (sp?) in France in WW1. The British I believe were putting tanks into battle for the first time... apparently they were meant to lead and run over the wire, followed and supported by the troops, including the Australian battalions. But in a logistical stuff-up all 11 tanks were late; several broke down and didn't even make it to the line, several were knocked out, and some got bogged in the trenches and mud. Depending on what you read, the British command were somewhat blamed for their leadership of the Australians, and the losses were very high. My granfather was a great bloke as I remember him ... quiet and positive with a sense of humour... and a shorty. Apparently the Germans remarked "Die kleinste ist die schonste!" or something... :)

My brother-in-law (now a financial manager for large scale property developers), for reasons known to him and a few drunken mates, joined the French Foreign Legion. He's been married to my sis over 5 years now. I knew he served under UN command as a peace-keeper in Bosnia in the 90's.
    Only recently, both of us bobbing up and down over surfboards, he told me he was in a reconaissance unit. They would, apparently, be the first to roll in to the mountain villages, find them usually deserted, find freshly turned soil over unmarked graves somewhere nearby, call in the status, and move on. I remember from reading Jarhead that that kind of unresolved, unanswered stress can tear you apart in the long run as well....

Anyway; hope I'm not hijacking the thread. ;)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  16. MaBell37

MaBell37 Getting Started

Not at all, I was very interested to hear what you had to say! I myself was in Bosnia-Herzegovina in the mid '90's. My mission was countersniping/counter-terrorism, which was something of a misnomer, as all of it was sniping, lol! I would be very interested to learn about your brother(in-law?) offline to see if maybe we had crossed paths downrange.

17. Triton6

Triton6 Active Member

Tim O'Brien is a professor at the college I went to. Sadly, I didn't get an opportunity to take one of his classes prior to graduating. I found it very cool that his and other classes read this book and "Going after Caccaciato" instead of boring, dry literature.

18. Smash

Smash Retired Admin

Actually, I don't think it's fair to compare SEALS/Delta/Force Recon/Green Berets at all. They all have very unique speicalties, that they are all very good at. The only time you hear about these guys is when some asshat polititian sends the wrong group on a mission because he's brothers a general and wants a new star and they all get wiped.

And Ma, I knew plenty of jarheads in the Nav, generally refered to as effing jarheads, but that was the ones I knew personally (I like my teeth afterall). I did one time make the mistake of calling a fleet marine a devil dog and he came unglued...aparently that is what you guys call your recruits.

Actually I think I used most of the terms you refer to there, often :D But then I had a bunch of bro's that were marines (former PR2(AW) myself...parachute rigger) so it was all good ;) was part of a Cadre element at my last station too...was a blast.

19. ScopE

ScopE Active Member

Wow ! I now want to read his later books after 1973 (incl one that was well-recognized around '93/'94?...).

I saw Jarhead at the cinema last night.... was glad I'd read the book some time ago, as it put me in the right mind-set. I'm glad to see some of the sensitivities of the soldier being put across these days, instead of the 'classic' action-style type stuff.
    (Now that I mention it; sort of reminded me of The Thin Red Line....)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2006
  20. ScopE

ScopE Active Member

I'll 'keep an ear out' MaBell. We don't often get time to talk, and I really don't know if he wants to talk, so I'll tread carefully...