Stupid Observation...

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by MaBell37, Feb 11, 2006.

1. MaBell37

MaBell37 Getting Started

Your first paragraph had me in tears, lol! It's typically the true stuff that makes you laugh the hardest, lol. [Edited in afterwards] By the way, I only compare them when I'm being a smartypants. I, better than most, know that each one has a very specific mission statement, and, used in concert with one another, can be extremely effective in the short-term crisis management department. As for asshat politicians, you sound as if you're surprised that the highest legislative offices in this country are nothing more than a bunch of morons who want to oversee everything the military does, looking for unauthorized expenditures while they take their wife (or more likely, their lover) to some exotic island in the Carribean for a surprise business meeting that takes a week to settle 3 minutes of actual work. I think I better stop there, as I am not a big fan of our crooked government right now. Don't get me wrong, I fully support and will defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic, even though I'm officially a civilian, but that doesn't mean I have to approve of the monstrous stupidity that rules our land, lol.

As for this second paragraph, I will try to be brief...like that's gonna happen, lol. The name Devildog comes from the German "Teufenhundel" of which the literal interpretation is "Devil Dog". It originated in ancient Germany, then known as the Germanic Lands (c. 1200's), where the folk believed that on cloudy, stormy nights, a legendary Teufenhundel would arise from the depths of hell and attack, kill, and consume any souls that it encountered. Later, folk came to believe that the Teufenhundel would only prey on children and old folk (c. 1400's). This legend was then passed down through the generations, and was used primarily to convince small children to be home by a certain time, lest the Teufenhundel get you!

Fast forward to 1918. Located in France, the Belleau Woods were a tranquil place to visit and get away. During World War I, however, the US Army found Belleau Wood to be a hellish nightmare of death, destruction and maiming. The US Army had positioned one Infantry Battalion in the center of the Wood to defend against the German attacks. This battalion was not expected to encounter a lot of resistance, not to mention what did engage them that late August. Somehow, the Germans had learned that the US Army, in it's desparation to plug the hole created in the Ardenne, had removed the battle hardened troops that HAD been in Belleau Wood, and scrounged soldiers from every place they could spare them to maintain appearances of a full infantry battalion in place. This battalion, thus created, held off several minor attacks by the Germans, who, having heard about the attempted deception, had underestimated the skill of the soldiers and not committed enough forces to breach American defenses.

However, given enough time, with reinforcements due shortly, the Germans had worn down the defenses, morale and numbers of the Americans in that forest. So, with time running out, the Commander of forces in theatre, decided to commit the one Marine Battalion placed at his command less than a week earlier by Washington. By the time the Marine Battalion had fully replaced and sent on their way, the US Army battalion (or more accurately, what was left of it) the Germans attacked with THREE infantry Divisions. Obviously they couldn't all attack at once, but each did get it's turn. After repulsing three MAJOR offensives in Belleau Wood, the Marines got up out of their trenches and chased the Germans out of Belleau Woods. The Germans would not return to Belleau Wood any time soon. During the impromtu counterattack by the US Marines, one of the Germans, in fear for his life, had looked over his shoulder at the contorted faces on the Marines, and hearing their battle cries, starting screaming, "Die Teufenhundel kommt! Die Teufenhundel kommt!" Now, my German skills are not what they should or could be, so I may have the quote wrong (knew the story well enough not to have to check EVERYthing, lol), but essentially that soldier was telling his comrades that the Devildogs of legend had come to claim their victims, which gave renewed strength and vigor to those already running for their lives.

It is because of THIS that US Marines and ONLY US Marines, are called Devildog. Recurits in Boot Camp at Marine Recruit Depots Parris Island and San Diego, have not earned the right to be called Marines, much less a traditional nickname that was earned in battle. Recruits are called "Recruit" in Boot Camp, and do not rank the privelege of such honorary names.

If a Marine came unglued, most likely it was because someone who was NOT a Marine was treading where they shouldn't have.

Was that short enough? LOL

Last edited: Feb 15, 2006
  2. Jector

Jector Well-Known Member

Sheesh! You army guys are so touchy about this stuff. :lol:

(I'm just playing, MaBell. I know better than to misname people in the military.)

3. MaBell37

MaBell37 Getting Started

4. CottonEyeJoe

CottonEyeJoe Getting Started

LOL I guess you guy are going to make me represent :)

Of course it's been a while for me.

Was mechanized infantry rank E-4 (specialiist aka chicken on a platter)
    Bravo company 1/16 Big Red One
    I was a driver for a BFV (Bradley Fighting Vehicle)

Now I know I wasn't near the class as a more specialiized soldier (just some dumb grunt:) ) but I agree with most said here. Fighting along side each other is never a problem. But down time there is a strong friendly rivalry between the grunts, jarheads, squids, and air jockeys.

So just had to report in and let you know Army was represented here as well :twisted:

5. Bumbee

Bumbee Retired Administrator

Let me see: Should I? Could I? Do I need too?
    YES! YES! Probably not:twisted:

Will I?

YEP!
    Well that's about enough out of me.

NOPE, Not getting off that easy:twisted:

How come he thinks he can talk like that about the US Armed Forces you might be asking?

Was active, am active, still active, only few more till retirement. So I can say what ever I want!

But because of where I have been, what I do and How I feel, I think they are all good in there own way and as long as they are used for there purpose, they were work great in situation. :twisted:
    I bet No_Phear thinks I was going to turn this the other way LOL!
    Have a good day!

6. Smash

Smash Retired Admin

Nah MaBell it was a Sgt that I knew. Called him devil dog and he said to me "don't ever call a fleet marine that, its what we call guys fresh out of bootcamp".

He then also recited that same story to me ;) and the german translation is "the devil dogs are coming" semi direct translation :D

7. Atrayo

Atrayo Retired Captain

Hi All,

Well there's Delta Force, but aside from that it's been said that the "French Legionaires" are truly the best. However I'll let each person defer to their own opinion for my own safety. :twisted:

I have heard the Rumsfield speech of the next model of a rapid deployment force. Will include many expanded operations for special forces. Including giving the Marines a special forces outfit where they've never had one previously.

However the numbers of security contractors aka mercenaries are swelling in numbers. Since the private market pays better although government militarys provide state of the art training. So consider alot of multi-national spec ops are now mercs.

I did see a program once that a South Afrika merc force were hired back in the early 1990's. And effectively with a force size of 5,000 put down the rebellions in Sierra Leon and the Ivory Coast i believe. The international community was so spooked by this efficency the UN / NATO forces took over and then things fell apart again. The South African government made the security contractor disband because they were too good at what they did.

8. Bumbee

:rolleyes:They sound kewl.;)

9. Bumbee

:biglol:

10. ScopE

ScopE Active Member

THAT's interesting Atrayo!
    I would have guessed (I really have no idea) that a force made up of non-nationals, somewhat infamous for it's alleged intake of 'questionable' recruits, with a relatively high desertion rate, would not distill a strong special forces program at all, especially up against the likes of Delta etc. But the French Foreign Legion's pay rate isn't exactly bad, I seem to recall (of course pay doesn't mean much really). Oh! And with all due respect to my bro'-in-law :lol:
    I guess any special forces training regime and its participants is/are only as strong as the expertise and 'culture' for supremacy that has been previously established.... :idea: I suppose it's so elite and 'independant' from everything else, that as long as it's well-funded, a program could rise to any heights of excellence.

The rest of what you said Atrayo rings true (again, from the perspective of a civilian Aussie :lol:) in light of how the world's military encounters are changing ... no real large-scale battles; often suburban-city and/or guerilla-type encounters....

11. B B

B B Active Member

Q.L.D. Australia beautifull one day , perfect the
    I thought the french legionaires were made of conscripts and get out of jail free dudes ?

12. MaBell37

MaBell37 Getting Started

The real deal is they are french wannabe's. Legionnaires are nothing more than well trained mercenaries, and as such do NOT count as a viable legal national force. Not to mention that anyone who aspires to be a french fighter is, at the most, nothing more than the punch-line to a sad joke.

The best in the world, primarily because of lack of bullshit, is the Korean ROK Marines. America's Marines are tough and the best trained and equipped. But unfortunately, they have to deal with political bullshit and the Washington Two Step which compromises them over and over. If it weren't for our corrupt, morally bankrupt federal government who can't seem to make a firm decision and then back it up, our Marines would be the best.

That's just my two cents worth.

13. Eugenic

Eugenic Retired Captain

This is interesting, I have not really heard from people with real experience. I mostly rely on Tom Clancy, from my perspective he seems to be pretty close to the mark with accuracy and tends to lack the hollywoodisation of war stories. I have been "reading" his audiobooks on my way to work (1 1/2 hour trip either way) and i have to say i have learnt a lot of trivial things. they help in movies and games and such, but probably wont when i am down the supermarket :p

anyway was just poking my head in. anyone have comments on his books or others that i might like?

14. MaBell37

MaBell37 Getting Started

I have read almost everything in fiction from Tom Clancy and would recommend W.E.B. Griffin, Dale Brown, and others of that genre. Most of these writers have started one or more series. W.E.B. Griffin has several series that might interest you.

15. Eugenic

Eugenic Retired Captain

thanks mate :) i was waiting for the "Clancy is full of shite" comment.... good to know he isn't. I do take everything with a grain of salt and try to ignore the sometimes blatant american patriotism and the sometimes propoganda, but all in all i am really enjoying them.

16. Smash

Smash Retired Admin

Marines have Force Recon.

Second the motion on the ROK marines...those are some bad dudes. The Japanese spceialists are pretty nasty too.

17. MaBell37

MaBell37 Getting Started

While I am NOT saying that Clancy is full of shit, I WILL say that he DOES do enormous research for everything he writes, HOWEVER, he does NOT strictly stick to the facts of his research when he writes his books. For, I think, obvious reasons.

Smash, good catch, it took me 10 minutes scanning back through all the posts in this thread to find what you most recently replied to about the Force Recon. However, having been that, I would like to clarify, for the less familiar with this subject. There are two kinds of Recon Marines. The first is just called Recon Marines, who work in concert with a "regular heavy" also known as(aka) an Infantry Company/Battalion. The idea being either a platoon of Recon Marines in a company, or a company of Recon Marines in a battalion.

The second kind is Force Recon. These Marines are not associated with an infantry unit "per se", but rather, are an independent organization unto themselves, and usually conduct regular special operations(spec-ops) outside of the mainstream military, and almost always covertly(aka "Black" Operations, or more simply, "Black-Ops").

DISCLAIMER: This goes out to anyone who may try this. All of this information is readily accessible by anyone with internet access. Please do not attempt to insult my intelligence by telling me that I just gave classified information away over an unsecured means of communication.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2006
  18. Bugsquash

Bugsquash Well-Known Member

Anyone got anything good to say about the Aussie SAS boys. I have heard they are highly regarded, and have pulled quite a few Septic Tank ;) asses out of quite a few fires over the years.

19. Smash

Smash Retired Admin

I'd have good things to say about all special forces all over the world. when you're talking about the best of the best it doesn't matter what country they're from...they're all good...damn good. Spetznaz, Austrian, Australian and British SAS, SEALs, Force Recon, Green Beret's, Delta Force, ROK marines...whatever. Any of em make ya dead quick.

20. Bugsquash

Bugsquash Well-Known Member

awww Smash you crawler. You just wanna earn some brownie points so you dont end up on the recieving end of one of those black ops !!! ;)

To all Spec Ops people covertly monitoring this thread, SMASH is no longer an Al-Qaida operative ;) He gave that up days ago.