T:A - What's your favorite class and why?

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by Noises, May 10, 2012.

1. Noises

Noises Active Member

Tribes Ascend was the first class based FPS game I played. The different combinations of weapons on three different sizes (and speeds) of armor made for a "no right way to do it" gaming experience that encouraged players to develop personal styles and tactics that suited their playing skills. People came to pick favorite classes which in some case (mine for instance) have stuck with them across titles as the franchise has evolved. You'll play other classes, we all do and there's no shame in that, but if you can go into your player profile and see you're playing one class more than 50% of the time when there's 8 others to choose from, brother, you've got a class addiction. Share you pain, or joy as the case may be.

For me, it's the Juggernaut. It's all about the fusion mortar, which for my money is the classiest one click kill weapon in the history of video games, period. Every one that connects is a thrill kill, especially if it was snapped, ricocheted, stalled or threaded through a needle at range before it went off, and I meant for it to happen. Bouncing shots perfectly off the back genny room conduit on Katabatic and killing the enemy infiltrator hiding upstairs - it's what I do. I'm a Tribes purist. I've rocked the fatty with the mortar and a heavy spinfusor 76% of my time in game. I duel (badly) and I don't care if I lose, as long as it's to a well placed spinfusor or thumper round. (You kill me with pew pew, I'll tell you right now I play 8% of the time as a tech and I'll pew pew you right back, consarnit.) I've also spent some quality double digit percentage time as a pathfinder because, well, gotta go fast. But you can do that as the Jugg, in style, if you're motivated and not afraid to learn how to mortar jump. To that end, I'm working on jugg capping paths. Yes, really.

So what's your favorite class in tribes, and why?

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  2. Genghoidal

Genghoidal Retired Captain

Raider:

On first starting the game, it was earlier in the beta and there were such classes as:

Jumper, Scrambler, Ranger etc

I tinkered with a bunch of them and never really found anything that stuck. They then combined these classes into the classes you see today.

The Raider picked up the Scramblers Jammer pack. Probably the most useful item in the game.

So I started trialling the Raider with the Grenade Launcher. It's difficult to use on the open fields and takes a fair bit of practice to start being effective outdoors but of course it excels indoors and around bases and base defences.

Combined with the Raiders jammer pack which makes the turrets completely ignore you, it's pretty clear what you came here for and you get down to business, tearing the enemy defence to pieces whilst obscured behind a wall or rock. Grenades must just seem to fly out of nowhere to some people.

The jammer pack makes you invisible to radar and turrets. People are used to being able to track enemies with their radar blip when they go around corners. I like to drop behind a hill and flick on the Jammer. Inexperienced opponents often just scratch their head and give up the fight and go back to what they were doing before you came along. This allows me to regain some health whilst stealthed and then came flying back at them 15 seconds later to their surprise!

Clearing a flag stand with a HoF and a few mediums supporting is a pleasure. Stealth up to grenade throwing range, lob your 2 cluster grenades on point and then empty the grenade launcher mag with 5 nades on the point. Anyone who was standing there keen on defending the point would want to be getting the hell out of there or else they are going to be dead a few times over once those fireworks go off. So yeah, I'm pretty happy to have a good pathfinder in the back pocket, ready to make a high speed grab shortly after the explosives detonate and whilst the HoF is floating in the air 20 metres over the flag stand.

I'm not a huge fan of the Plasma gun and the new SMG, I like the old gear better at the moment. Cluster nade is quite nice for a big splash. It's slow to go off though and fairly easy to avoid if u smell it coming.

Love the old school raider and it's 81% of my play time :)

3. RnR

RnR Retired Captain

Soldier. Don't know the percentages, but I wager its above 90%.

Duelist by nature. My old days of playing ut2k4 coming to the fore. Spinfusor is the weapon of choice, backup by occasional usage of the pistol.

Flexible in the map position I play, although offense is favoured. Harassment of clusters of techs and HoF's is a joy. Capper of opportunity if the chasers are terribad, which they are 9/10 (I don't like playing against toobootless). If HoF needs support, more than happy in providing it.

The Soldier can do it all [​IMG]

4. bochaba

bochaba Well-Known Member

Play pathfinder mostly as I find it most flexible and I really like chasing.

Soldier if I want to kill stuff and play midfield brawler.

5. passay

passay Well-Known Member

Been only very new to the game i have been building up the Soldier with the spin rifle, just so i can have an all rounder non noob state char to use, i do want to unlock the sniper and the fast moving one to check them out as well.

6. Noises

Noises Active Member

mate before you rush out and spend your hard won XP on class unlocks just to try stuff out, log into the game and at the first menu go into training. In most training modes you will be able to try out not only different classes you don't have unlocked, but you can also get vehicles out to test pilot and practice too. Use practice to find out if you really do want to spend your XP or gold on a certain class or weapon. Best thing to spend XP on at the early stage is upgrading armor first (for health) then your primary weapon (for damage/clip size) on the default class you're already playing, which for you is the soldier.

The fast moving on is the pathfinder, IIRC he's one of your default classes, so he's already unlocked. If you want to play around with going fast, unlock the pathfinder's thrust pack and put the first two or three upgrades on that.