Technical Cable Modem Q

Discussion in 'The Barracks' started by Fox, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Fox

Fox Clown Administrator Administrator Moderator

I have Telstra cable modem with Black Ice firewall.

My firewall hardly registered any "attempts" previously but then I hosted a game a few days ago. It was listed on GameSpy (it seems its impossible to not list on GameSpy) and ever since then my firewall has been going berko!

I figure that ever since I hit GameSpy, my IP address is now "out there".

Is there anyway for a Telstra cable modem to release an IP and get a new one? winipcfg will release, but not get a new one.

Any ideas?

Fox

2. Father

Father The Boss Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Don't know black ice, I'm sure you can do it somehow.
    Resetting your modem will do it.

3. Arienne

Arienne The Woman in Red Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Only on ADSL. It won't reset your IP with cable.

4. Father

It won't? Well that's a plus, I wish it kept my IP on ADSL as well.

With your setup do you actually get your ip address in Windows?

5. Arienne

I have dual IP's, my internal IP 192.168.0.1 that allows me to use ICS, and my net IP. That hasn't changed for ages, but they dont' guarantee static IP per se with Optus. I believe that Tel$tra change their IP's more often. I can ping my box via the external IP.

6. Father

192.168.x.y is an internal address only. Will never change.

RFC 1918

7. Arienne

Yes I know, I set it specifically to .0.1 as that is the required IP for ICS.

However you can also use 10.0.0.x if you wish for internal networks if you don't plan on using ICS.

8. SnakeTails

SnakeTails Well-Known Member

Answer for 1st posting.

Turn off your cable modem for a cycle of DHCP allocation, that should fix it, pity you if you want to play games......

I do know that if I boot my firewall with the current RHx.x, I get 210.49.203.210, then reboot with Gentoo, the IP changes to something completely different, then reboot RH, changes back to 210.49... then reboot in Gentoo, that other IP, then back into RH, the same 210.49 again.... wierd....

the strings in Linux for DHCP allocation is just...

dhcpcd -dR -i ethx && mail yendor (last bit for sending my work the new IP to change the firewall)

rest of the postings, why would you be limited to xxx.yyy.0.1 ?? Why cannot it be xxx.yyy.zzz.1 ?? as the x.y.z.1 is usually known as the gateway device (not strictly the case tho)

9. Wokka

Wokka Getting Started

Snake

That was perhaps the most (and only) coherent post i have seen you make....did we catch you awake?

10. Arienne

Because it's Microsoft. Need I say more?

11. Fox

SnakeTails? Coherent?

I appreciate your post buddy but it still didn't make sense to me - LOL.

Can you explain again how I get a new IP? I have win me.

Thanks buddy.

Fox

12. Father

Have you tried

winipcfg /release
    winipcfg /renew

Dunno how it would work on cable, the IP address you get is actually decided by their Radius server which probably links to DHCP. I don't know what cable uses for authentication though.

DHCP servers are setup by default with a specific lease time for your ip address.
    This can be a few hours, this can be weeks.
    Only after 50% of the time that your lease is sitting will the DHCP server see whether you are still there.

The release should send a msg to the server that you are totally giving up this IP address. Then again the DHCP server may choose to cache this information for x amount of time so the next time you reconnect you get the same IP. This is usually based on mac address, but obviously with cable the Radius server will provided another field for DHCP.

Also remember that windows itself will try to get the last IP address you had if you do a renew. You would have to hack into your registry to get rid of the "cached IP".

Nevertheless, you said that you get more traffic and hacking attempts since you had that server online.
    Doubt that there is a relation though, plus that's why you have a firewall. I would rely a lot more on that then on changing IP addresses.
    Finding machines on a subnet is ez as anyway, you can ping a whole subnet, see which ones respond, then go to nmap and start portscanning.

I get hacking attempts all the time on the webserver, my error log is full of the efforts of script kiddies thinking that it's an IIS server. That's how dumb they are, they find some script to run on hack server but don't know how to even find out whether a server runs IIS or Apache.

Hacking btw has now become a crime in Australia, if you can log the IP address of the person trying to hack you and it's someone on your ISP's network. I would have no problem filing a complaint with your ISP, it just isn't funny.
    A bit tricky for me to complain about telstra teenager customers hacking my server as I'm not supposed to be running one in the first place. :lol:

But they are gonna need more then downloaded scripts to hack into here. A lot more!

13. RedMan

RedMan Retired Advisor

lol, shutdown my firewall last night to try out generals.
    Forgot to put it back up and went to sleep defraggin the drive.
    Ahhh, if they hack my computer I'll lose me NWN key, possibly generals if they also put that in a text file.
    luckily my IIS server wasn't running. :)

14. SnakeTails

Current lease time for Optus is as follows (from /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-eth1.info)

LEASETIME=25076
    RENEWALTIME=12538

Times are given in Seconds

This means that with a lease time of ~7Hrs, after that time offline, maybe your lease will reallocate to another person, "Offline" meaning that your cable modem/ADSL is offline, and enough people get either a new IP or renew to a new IP address.

Father, if your running dhcpcd for IP allocation, if you create a /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-eth1.exe this file is executed when dhcpcd gets a new IP address, using this, you can reconfig your outside DNS to use your new IP address.

15. Father

I actually don't use Linux to connect to Tel$tra. I use a cisco 2514 for that.

16. Voyager

Voyager Getting Started

As I have stated before:

Guys above = Boffins

Me = What the hey?

17. Fox

Don't feel bad about that Voyager.

That camp you hold isn't empty. I'm there with ya buddy! Anything remotely internet related gets me confused.

Fox

18. SnakeTails

I have always been here

19. Hethrir

Hethrir Getting Started

Do you have another NIC? If you don't i am on the south side also and could lend you one. Or if you have duel NICs, try switching the cables and dup the settings 4 each one.

20. Fox

Thanks buddy - Appreciate it but I found a solution - completely by accident.

I found if I went into windows control panel - networking and removed the network drivers completely (the tcp/ip ones) and then reboot and let the good ole auto-detect do it's stuff, the modem requests a new IP as part of the driver installation procedure.

Not something I want to do everyday, but now I know!

Apreciate the thought.