Terraria - May 16th.

Discussion in 'Digital Distribution & Mobile Game Applications' started by Aldmw, May 15, 2011.

1. Aldmw

Aldmw Active Member

Terraria - Coming soon!

This is coming out on Monday through Steam and should be priced at around $10. Its a 2D sandbox/platformer/action rpg. It has so many features that it would be tough to list everything here.

This is the devs youtube channel YouTube - demilogic's Channel
    where you can see a basic playthrough of them starting from scratch, gathering wood and stone and building a shelter and eventually exploring underground caves, creating a castle with NPCs and fighting bosses.

Theres also paperbats channel with his own play through experience.
    YouTube - PaperBatVG's Channel

:)

2. Meteo

Meteo Getting Started

2d minecraft!
    There I said it. (along with everyone else)
    Also reminds me a lot of Miner VGA.

Won't stop me purchasing a copy. The combat part looks rather fun. :D

edit: damn, 14k+ players on steam already. fair effort.

3. Aldmw

Aldmw Active Member

almost 16k now, number 3 in the list under the counter strikes :eek:
    its an epic little game though, ive played 4 hours tonight.

4. Zeoinx

Zeoinx Getting Started

Ill prob pick this game up next month, I love sprites and a sprite creation game is pretty good, especially after playing Minecraft Survival Mode now lol, I do have a question, because this game is supported by steam, does that mean multiplayer will be easier to pull off. Or do we need our own server set up like MC.....cause I would love to play Co-op in something like that. (I would hate having to seal myself in every time i wanna mine something)

5. man-o-war

man-o-war Just Joined

Hey all. Been a member for a real long time, but haven't really posted for some reason. Anyway, I've been playing Terraria a lot since it was released. Here are a few things I know.

I was able to play co-op with my brother the other night. After the kids went to bed we worked it out. Here is what I did to get my pc setup to host a server.

1. For Terraria to be hosted on my machine I went into my router and setup port forwarding. The port number is 31337. Then I went to what's my ip. Copied my I.P. and gave that information to my brother.

2. I started an instance of Terraria. I went multiplayer. Created the world, and gave it a password.

3. I started another instance of Terraria. Loaded my character. At the multiplayer screen I put in my ip address. Game loaded up flawlessly.

4. told my brother to come on in. He came in perfectly.

The gameplay was smooth as butter. We had good times until a storm came through and knocked out my power. I plan on keeping an instance of the game running on my pc, so that my buddies and I can 'dial in' and create whenever we can. It's not a static I.P., so I'll have to re-issue the ip whenever my carrier changes it.

6. Thermal Ions

Thermal Ions Retired Captain

Thanks for the info man-o-war.

You could use a dynamic DNS service like Dynamic DNS: Free DNS Service - DynDNS.com instead of having to manually pass out your IP all the time. Some ADSL modems even have an option to automatically update the IP for you instead of having to run the monitoring application on your local PC.

We've got it set up here for running a minecraft server for my son's friends.

Firebrand likes this.
  7. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

Reoh quickreviewquote "It plays like a 2d Minecraft, more fun to explore but less fun to build with."

8. Zeoinx

Zeoinx Getting Started

Also, Can anyone explain the controls for me before i get it, Was watching a few Lets Play videos of it on You Tube, and the game looks pretty fun, but I couldnt grasp how the control scheme worked for attacking // building. I know Movment is done via the arrows, or wsad, but as far as attacking, mining, and building, it kinda evaded me. I assume building is done via mouse click, but does that mean you need to click on every enemy to attack to like in Diablo II?

9. Justin Kace

Justin Kace Retired Captain

This is a great little game. Different enough from MC to stand on it's own too. The focus is on adventure over building.

Mining, you put your cursor over the brick you want to dig out and hold te button down til it's gone.

Attacking, you just equip your sword and swing when the monsters are in range.

Bows are worthwhile. So are health pots!!

10. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

There are hotkey items that you can press with the usual number keys, or you can click those button with mouse / scroll mouse wheel. Activately equipped hotkey items are slightly larger in the top left list. You then use your mouse to choose where to target. Also the game employs mouseover mouse-icon changes to let you know when your hovering over something interactable.

The keys are listed under controls or some such in settings, and you can reassign those if you wish. Oddly "escape" is your inventory / crafting window (crafting requires the appropriate crafting station to be in proximity to your character, although some items can be made anywhere like torches & wooden platforms for example).

11. Zeoinx

Zeoinx Getting Started

Well if anyone wants to play Co-op let me know, I just got it.

I can only connect to one other person though, as I am afraid the lag would get worse the more people there are. LogMeIn Hamachi is what i am useing to connect, it basicly allows the creation of a LAN via the internet, its very effective.

12. Thermal Ions

Had to resort to Hamachi myself to connect to son's server running on the same physical LAN - crazy.

13. Jigoku

Jigoku Retired Captain

Updates today have "improved" some network functionality. Also the game port has changed from 31337 to 7777.

News - Terraria Update Released

14. Justin Kace

I'll leave a server running on my PC as much as I can (which should be a fair bit).

I'll only be on late Aus east evenings, but anyone here is welcome to join. Full dsl2 connection should handle a few players. I don't know what the maximum number of players allowed is in any case.

Server address = 118.209.112.213

Password is 'TOG'

Ports should be set right. I have successfully hosted before.

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  15. Justin Kace

Anyone interested in the server? Only had one person on that I know of, besides personal friends. Not really enough motivation to keep the PC running 24/7. :p

16. Thermal Ions

Son is running one here, so I've not jumped on any one else's.

17. Meteo

Meteo Getting Started

Popped in for a while earlier. First time I had actually tried multi.
    Think I need to gear up a little before I return. Spend way too much time pointless mining. :)
    Got a nightmare pickaxe just before so thats phase 1 complete. I'm about 20hrs in with a golden sword currently. Just to paint a picture. haha

edit: Added you on steam (seph.au) Hope you don't mind.

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  18. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

TBH after I'd explored everywhere and gotten all the loot, kinda find it hard to login. its too easy now.

19. delushin

delushin Well-Known Member

/love soundtrack on that dev video

20. Optical Array

Optical Array Getting Started

I've played Terraria for a while, and I'm quite enjoying it. As many have said; some aspects are quite like Minecraft, but in the end, I still think its a unique game. The bosses make everything so much cooler - I've defeated the Eater of Worlds about 5 times.

P.S. METEORITES ARE AWESOME!!!