Text MUDs

Discussion in 'Free to grind' started by Elsalvador, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Elsalvador

Elsalvador Just Joined

Anyone around here remember (or may be still playing / into ) text MUDs? A bit retro as they mostly started in late 70's and 80's (a little before my time) but I've been into one called Avalon for 8 years now and it startles me how many people I come across that are familiar with it that I have never encountered in the game (particularly as this is a <100 players online game, not a huge MMO).

I was recently surprised to find there's a pretty huge subforum on Reddit about MUDs and I figured since this is "the older gamers" forums that it may be a good place to meet some likeminded folks.

2. jaknive

jaknive Just Joined

hmmmmmm sheesh im to old, haven't played a mud in a lonnnnnggggggg time last one I played on was ashen dust,before that I played on terris on aol using windows 3.:)

3. Elsalvador

Elsalvador Just Joined

Windows 3? Damn...

4. Ambersight

Ambersight Just Joined

There are quite a few rather good MUD's around. My two favourites are Armageddon, and Harshlands. Both set in very large and often harsh environments. Both are low-fantasy. A third I have played is Sindome, that is set in a cyberpunk/Bladerunner-type world. What I like is the fact they are entirely player driven and the worlds are very immersive due to the fact the lack of graphics means your own imagination draws you in. I really like them.

5. Elsalvador

Elsalvador Just Joined