The Anti-Cheat discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by Ned, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Ned

Ned Public Forum Coordinator

Please discuss anything to do with Anti-cheat in FPS games here. Not every game has options for this but many do. We know that none of the various Anti-Cheat setups are perfect and some are buggy at times but let me assure you they're very much worth having.

DO NOT use this thread to spam complaints about the Anti-Cheat variants. We already know they aren't perfect. Bottom line is, without software like Punkbuster and VAC many games would simply be unplayable for clean players. If a complaint is worthy of discusion then yes please post particularly if you're looking for a fix. Also, server admins, feel free to add any questions here (or PM me). I've helped many clients and server admins of the years, mainly AntiTCC for UT2004 and Punkbuster for many game. The overall knowledge base here at TOG is quite strong.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
    Wayfarer and Spectre8 like this.
  2. Relztrah

Relztrah Just Joined

I realize we're talking about PC games here, and I have never used a cheat with a PC game nor do I intend to. But the only way I could advance playing Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter on my son's Xbox 360 was to find a cheat that made me invincible. I got to the place where you're in a bombed-out building protecting VIP 2 and there are bad guys coming at you from all angles. VIP 2 keeps wandering out into the line of fire and getting killed and I couldn't figure out how to give him a command to keep his VIP butt behind the wall. I must have restarted that mission 50 times before I gave up and used a cheat. Of course at that point the game was too easy but considering the number of enemies I had to get by in order to proceed, I don't know how anybody could play GRAW without a cheat. And I had it set on easy! I guess it's my own lack of skill and practice.

3. Ned

Hi Relztrah, welcome to the TOG public forums :)

The 'cheats' you're talking about are also available for PC games. We're specifically talking about multiplayer cheats here. The words are the same but Singleplayer 'cheats' are a different world. Multiplayer cheats go against what the game makers intended. Many game manuals include info on how to use things like God Mode and how to access Developer Mode plus many many more options. All of these are fine (and SAFE!) to use and many players use these as learning tools to progress through games. The game makers know this and many help us by supplying the relevent codes :)

Just so you know, SINGLEPLAYER CHEAT CODES WILL NOT WORK IN MULTIPLAYER SERVERS unless the server you're playing on allows this, or the player is using a hack. Developers attempt to prevent this kind of thing in the multiplayer portion of their games for obvious reasons.

Thanks for bringing up singleplayer cheats, I didn't think to mention this.
    I hope this clears up the big difference between the two.

cheers
    ned

:)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  4. Relztrah

Relztrah Just Joined

Thanks for the clarification. My son plays multiplayer both on the PC and the 360. I find it enough of a challenge just to finish a game in single-player mode and have never been interested in multiplayer. So I'm not familiar with the multiplayer cheats.

I recall using a single-player cheat with Far Cry for the PC. I believe that's where you somehow split the screen and use the ~ character and put in commands, right? I had arrived to the point in the game where you're on that sinking ship and a helicopter is approaching firing at you and you can't blow it out of the air with the shoulder-mounted RPG so you have to jump over the side and swim to shore. Somebody told me that you then hide behind a palm tree on the shore and peek out and fire away at the helicopter and then duck behind the tree again. This was a strategy that I couldn't master so I attempted a cheat.

Well, I totally messed up the game and the video was corrupted from that point forward and that was the last PC cheat I attempted. But I realize this is different from the cheats you're describing.

5. Ned

Yes. I know a few people who have used the singleplayer cheats for Far Cry :)

Please read the warnings regarding multiplayer cheats here - THE ANTI-CHEAT DATABASE -
    TOG has a zero tolerance on multiplayer cheating. More details here - link -

As you can see it's a good idea not to get familiar with multiplayer cheats :)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  6. Ned

• Full HradBa anti-cheat details are now available.
    Follow the link in THE ANTI-CHEAT DATABASE thread.

HradBa is an anti-cheat system developed for the game Vietcong.

Included is:
    -HradBa, what is it?
    -HradBa readme file, kick codes and false-positives list
    -HradBa v206 download
    -Behind the Scenes in the Making of HradBa << VERY INTERESTING READ!
    -Links to Auscong, United Admins Limited, official game site and Pterodon

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  7. Ned

8. Ned

NovaLogic released Delta Force: Black Hawk Down (2003) & Delta Force: Black Hawk Down: Team Sabre (2004) with no anti-cheat protection, instead relying on community made anti-cheating systems. One such system is called Sigurd which is currently replacing the discontinued 'Argus' Anti-Cheat project.

Delta Force: Black Hawk Down
    Delta Force: Black Hawk Down | NovaLogic.com

Delta Force - Black Hawk Down: Team Sabre
    [Official Expansion Pack for Delta Force - Black Hawk Down]
    Delta Force - Black Hawk Down: Team Sabre | NovaLogic.com

- Sigurd-Project.com
    - Sigurd Anti-Cheat Software Infomation

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  9. Ned

ArmA: Armed Assault is a first person tactical military shooter with large elements of realism and simulation. Beta Patches have been released with v1.16+ required to utilise the BattlEye Anti-Cheat software.

ArmA: Armed Assault beta patches can be discussed - here -

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  10. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

The thing about cheating software, is that if you stop it the cheaters get something else. What you need to do is take the cheaters out the back, rough'em up a little. ;)

11. Ned

12. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

While I'm very glad we have these things to help us play on a more even footing, I still think they're just painkillers. The real problem is still there and needs to be addressed. Why do people cheat? I think its a sociological conundrum that is inherent in our survival-of-the-fittest heritage that has led us to believe we have to be the best, at least for many of us; rather than just comparing against your own personal performance. Perhaps better yet, did you just have fun or what?

13. Ned

14. Metal Eyes!

Metal Eyes! Just Joined

Hello TOG clan, I have had a server for a few months now from Hypernia, I
    regularly update Punkbuster. I notice when I go into other server's Punkbuster
    often kicks people for using cheats (most often a multi-hack tool)...
    I have not noticed anyone kicked from our server by Punkbuster nor are any
    in the log file. Some servers seem to kick people very regularly. Is this common on
    your servers? and are false detections common as they are with some games?
    Also is there anywhere a collective of the banned list's for all to access?
    Thanks for any help.

15. Leevers

Leevers Guest

This is called PB streaming.

It's a feature you can add to the server to show all punkbuster bans. It streams it on the server chat, and hopefully helps prevent others from considering the same path along with making these banned cheaters known to the public eye. It doesn't mean the ban you saw happened on the server your on, but the ban is streamed to your servers chat to notify everyone on your server as to what happened.

16. maddog2204

maddog2204 Retired Moderator

Whilst you will never stay ahead of the cheaters, you can certainly make their life as a cheater very difficult as a server admin. I wouldn't say that anti-cheat software is just a "painkiller". It is very much like an virus detector on your PC. It constantly needs to have it's database updated as new virus's (in this case, cheats) are written to circumvent the current detector measures. Yes, there are deeper issues with regards to "human nature", but there is not much a game developer can do about that. So the next best thing is to minimise the opportunities for this type of "human nature" to kick in.

I have found from experience, that PunkBuster is very good at what it does. Sure there are hacks out there that don't get detected. But give it a couple of weeks, and all of a sudden, there is a spate of bans being flashed up on your screen if the server is streaming. These are called "announcements" and can be either turned on or off. I prefer to have them on. They don't necessarily mean that the bans are taking place on your server. It is most likely one of the hundreds of other servers that stream to the same central PB database as you. The beauty about these announcements, is like what Leever's said. It can make a person think twice about going down that road. It acts like a deterrent, and gives the players that don't cheat, greater confidence that PB is doing it's job.

There are a number of streaming PB databases out there, and you are certainly not limited to using just one. The more you stream to, the greater your server's security.
    In my case I have streamed BF2142 and BC2 servers to both PBBans and PBLogviewer simultaneously. PBLV, is actually run by a TOG member who is also a GameOp over at GameArena. His name is Adsa, and this man knows ALOT about PunkBuster and how it works.;)

Learning how the anti-cheat software works, and how to beat the hackers is a very satisfying and addictive thing. Fighting the good fight against the cheaters and hackers so that the genuine players can have a fair game makes it all worth it as an admin. Having admins with the knowledge, coupled with a good anti-cheat program such as PB goes hand in hand. Combined, the hackers are going to have a very difficult time.

As Leevers said, these are called announcements from other servers that are connected to the same central cheat database. When you register your server with the central database, anyone busted on your server, will be permanently banned from every other server that "streams" to the same central database. And vice versa.
    It is rare for PunkBuster to have false detections, although it has been known to happen. For example, a while ago FRAPS underwent an update, and then all of a sudden PunkBuster thought it was some form of cheat, and started booting people. Once reported, the problem was rectified quickly. I cannot speak for other sites, but I know PBBans has an appeals option if you think you have been incorrectly banned. A few bans have been overturned, but it is very rare. Generally, PB is on the money when detecting cheats.

From what I understand about VAC, they do not have the option to appeal. They seem to be pretty confident in their product and do not even consider appeals. They even go as far as not providing information regarding when the ban was triggered. They are very vague about the timelines regarding bans in order to keep the hackers guessing as to which hacks are being detected at that time.

Ned likes this.
  17. Metal Eyes!

Metal Eyes! Just Joined

Thank you for the in-depth explanation and advice. I was considering enabling
    PunkBuster streaming, now I know more about it I will put more thought into it.
    It does seem like a good idea and I do detest cheating.
    I will keep an eye on this thread, once again thank you for the information.

18. Ned

19. ital777

ital777 Just Joined

Hackers

I investigated hacking apps after I kept on hitting the enemy several times with my sniper rifle to no effect! This in multiplayer BBC2. Is there a GOD mode I thought? Actually not. But there are quick auto aim cheats, which also explains why I get "outdrawn" sometimes. They say the hack is undetectable. I hope not.
    Problem is how do you report them?

20. Ned

I advise against "testing" of cheats, see here..
    The Anti-Cheat database.

Report BFBC2 cheats here..
    PunkBuster Online Countermeasures - Info

Being "outdrawn" can simply mean you were up against a better player on the day or an equal player with a better latency or a wide range of things that don't involve cheating.