The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited

Discussion in 'Games Talk' started by Ancient_One, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Captain

Yes please.

With the game going free to play I'm going to grab the PS4 version of the game and kill me some dragons. :twisted:

Who is going to join me?

2. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

I already have it on PC from before they dropped the sub so I think I'll check that out again first and see how it is. I got bored with it extremely quickly on PC, barely felt like elder scrolls at all and as an MMO it was pretty sub par so I hope they've made some big changes.

That said for the month that I played it, I did feel like it would actually be better with a controller though I'm not sure I could handle the lower framerate so PS4 version is a maybe.

3. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

So after going back to the PC version for a while I have to say the changes they've made are extremely impressive. It's still not an amazing unique MMO experience by any means but it's solid, there's plenty of content, bugs are fixed, everything is far more balanced and the justice system adds the one thing I missed most, being a thief!

However there's 2 things that have made me decide to stick with the PC version. Performance improvements have made it run incredibly smooth, I'm sitting above 90 fps at all times with graphics maxed out which is quite a significant difference to the 30 of the console version. While it's not the most important factor for a game like this I did try capping it to 30 and it just felt so much worse I was struggling to play. I know this won't be the case for everyone though, I'm just used to higher framerates and run a 144hz monitor so the difference is too noticeable for me.

The other factor is the same reason I prefer the other ES games and Fallout on PC; Mods! The default UI is very lacklustre, doesn't even have a minimap, display ping and other useful info or tell you what you've looted if you have autoloot on, but since the game allows plugins it was very simple to add these things and move other UI elements around.

There's also other quality of life improvements that plugins add such as one that simply shows how many skill points you've spent in each tree, or another which allows items to be auto-deposited when you go to the bank so you don't have to sit there transferring every crafting mat manually for example. I assume the console version won't allow any form of plugins.

It's a pretty fun game and without the sub it's definitely worth a look. Item shop is pretty much all cosmetic and the few things that aren't you can easily obtain through normal play. That said I feel the PC version offers some very big advantages so if you have a computer capable of running it I'd say go with that instead.

4. Ancient_One

Thanks Chief on the update. I'm sure the other TOG members appreciate your honest rundown on the pro's and con's. Now as they say. It's up to the individuals to make the decision for themselves on which device to play the game.

5. delushin

delushin Well-Known Member

Played it on PC for about 3 months, another one of the crew that got fedup with the bugs etc. I think I can bring my PC chars to PS4 and if that's confirmed I will most likely do that.

Some PC games just work really well on console (D3) and this certainly felt like it needed a controller.

I am looking for the next thing to play as I really tried with Destiny but that is dead to me now. There is Bloodborne for the time being but I think I will pick ESO up for PS4 if there are a good number of toggers to play with.

6. Ancient_One

Watched a console review of this game and thought hell yeah going to buy that. I loved the Elder Scroll series of games and even though I know it's not the same it looks good and feels like something I will enjoy based on immersive game play.

A friend said to me its a solo game where you can meet up with people and multiplay.

7. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

I actually would like to know if we'll have a sizable amount of Toggers going to play this on console, whether it is a transfer or picking the game up for the first time.

8. delushin

Confirmed ... I will be taking advantage of the $20 deal and transferring my PC characters to PS4!!!

It does such that if we get a good togger following we will need to split our chat channels, and I fear that will result in silos of players being created and limit the guild interaction. You know on those crafting days where there could 10-15 people doing their own things, we would need to split channels :( ... minor issues though I suppose.

EDIT: I will also have two mates who will be playing it too, so if the togger player base supports a strong guild we will join.

9. parasiteeve9

parasiteeve9 Just Joined

I'll be getting ESO on the PS4!!I prefer playing games like this on the consoles.

10. Ancient_One

PS4 for me. Waiting waiting.

11. delushin

SOLD ... I was thinking this would be like D3 and be a better game on console and it is starting to look that way.

Yea if you watch his other videos you can see that those who relied heavily on addons may miss something, I am kind of glad now that I only played for 2-3 months. It will be like a fresh new experience which I am excited for.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  12. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

Just so you all know, that the same UI that is on the consoles is coming to the PC. When they add native controller support, you will have the option to have it play with a controller solely with every UI menu designed for a controller, just like the console version. So you may still play this on a PC, but use a controller.

13. delushin

Any movement on confirmation of the time frame for roll out?

14. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

All they say is after the console launch, then they're going to focus on working out the kinks with the controller support. It's probably mainly due to not every controller has the same amount of buttons. But having native PS4 and Xbox controller support is probably their primary objective.

15. rubicon

rubicon Retired Captain

[​IMG]

PS: Might be a couple of weeks late to the party though. It launches the week before my final exams for the semester

16. delushin

Your exams mean nothing, you will only change your career direction anyways. ESO is everything! -Well until The Division comes out.

17. retribution128

retribution128 Just Joined

i will def be playing this on ps4. would be great to have a tog clan. i play a lot of other stuff and have family to though so i would not be on every day.

18. Shazoo

Shazoo Getting Started

ESO dropped off the PC radar pretty quick with all the reviews, so I'm waiting a bit on this one until some reliable site reviews dig their fangs in. I'm a bit gun shy on paying for an MMO on consoles after FF14. Although Neverwinter on XBO is fun tho I probably wouldn't of paid for it either if it wasn't already free.

19. delushin

FF14 is a really solid MMO for console the main killer is the subscription, my entire out of TOG guild would be getting around that if it was F2P or B2P.

Agree ESO dropped off on the back of a pretty buggy release, inability to control boss farmers quickly and being a subscription model. From beta to around 3 months after release is all I lasted, not being able to complete quests just that alone can deter people more so when its every third or so.

It has come a very long way since then and I have regularly been logging back in to check it out and also get my characters ready for the transfer to PS4. I am surprised with the activity in game and with a release to console you are also going to pick up players purely from that arena and don't have the scares of post release disappointment.

My decision was easy as it only cost be $20 for having the PC version, even if I play for a month that will be more value than other titles at $60+. One of the issues is the historical burn to our brains of previous experiences of the epic MMOs we were exposed to and grew up on.

Lineage, Everquest, RuneScape, UO, SWG and of course WoW plus many more. The graphics were crap (we didnt know that though) and bugs/exploit everywhere but I think it was the community that sat as a key corner stone to solidifying those experiences. We will never get that again but that cannot be accepted, and the by product of that is constantly comparing it to those past experiences that will never be relived.

A circle of expectation that by its nature is designed to disappoint, those caught in it are too blind to break out.

I am not a fan boy, in fact I have never completed any of the ES games, but I have enjoyed what they offer. ESO is a pretty solid and beautiful world now and for those that can take it as it is, combined with a good group of guildies, you will have fun times.

I think ESO will do far better on console than it has on PC, but that is just an opinion. PC might have just been the testing platform for a 12 month beta "live" to move to the console market, HAHAHA.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  20. Ancient_One

Shame about the cross platform play. This will cause an issue concerning the Guild.

Trying to work something out now. Sorry for the late advice.

Looking at it we would need a Guild Leader for Xbox One and PS4 to create the guilds initially.

Membership will have to be controlled by the Guild Leader to ensure only TOG members are given access. Whether we have the numbers to add Officers to the mix for each console will be dependent on the number of players in game on each console.

I'm currently trying to nut out some details with Thymos and TOG regarding the way ahead. ie. should we be tacked onto the ESO Division or stay in the Console Division.

Some details concerning the formation of Guilds.

We need 10 members in each Guild to enable the Heraldry system. This requires gold taken from the Guild Bank which obviously will need members to donate towards.

I'm not sure how the chat system will operate in game but we still have the chat system as part of our own consoles that we can use.

I'm not sure if some of this will change in the console version I guess we shall have to see.