Steam The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion in 'Digital Distribution & Mobile Game Applications' started by Nikolaf, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Nikolaf

Nikolaf Active Member

I just purchased Skyrim during the holiday sale on Steam. I'm fairly new to the Steam Workshop.

What mods in the Steam Workshop are worth getting?

2. hadrian6616

hadrian6616 Well-Known Member

I like the milk way galaxy mod and the darkness mod. This makes the nights and dungeons dark. I've also got a snow and water mods. I run 23 mods, including my own tweak. Mostly these are cosmetic, a couple of dungeons.

The best part is workshop files are easy install and easy uninstall so you'll end up trying heaps but only keeping the ones that make skyrim yours.

3. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

For first playthrough I'd just recommend cosmetic stuff mostly but the mods I think you should always grab are No Bloom (Fix Eye Adjusting), SkyUI and Item Sorting.

No Bloom (Fix Eye Adjusting) just removes the horrible effect where looking at something bright then something darker or vice versa causes the brightness to change. It's supposed to simulate the human eye adjusting to brightness but it happens far too often, ie. just looking at the ground then looking ahead causes it. Gets very annoying and just looks bad anyway I reckon.

SkyUI improves menus so they're more size appropriate and slightly less console-ish and Item Sorting just renames various items so that the inventory is in an easier to navigate and more logical order.

If you have a good PC, Open Cities Skyrim is great. It makes it so the inside of cities are part of the main game world rather than loading into a separate level when you enter them. Saves a loading screen but can cause a bit of a performance hit.

Just make sure you read the notes first, some mods require SKSE and other things. I know open cities requires you to not be in a city when you install it otherwise you end up in a void.

Everything else I run affects gameplay and can mess with quests (in fact the whole intro is skipped by one of them) but it makes it a much more open sandbox experience so best to mess with those after finishing the story.

4. Father

Father The Boss Staff Member Administrator Moderator

I picked up Skyrim this Steam Sale based on this youtube vid:

With the bethesda titles I find it worthwhile to wait easily a year before playing them because the mod community makes their games so much more enjoyable but it takes time for those real killer mods to be developed.

Hell I'm playing Fallout New Vegas currently!

I haven't really bothered with the Steam workshop, it does have limitations in how big a mod can be etc, the mod nexus is imo the place to be and the nexus mod manager is a great tool that allows you to auto install mods activate/deactivate and has a much larger choice than steam.
    The NMM still goes ways beyond the steam workshop currently and is even easier to use.

5. Brootal

Brootal Well-Known Member

List of mods that were recommended to me:

These ones I believe are purely cosmetic
    Sounds of Skyrim (The Wilds, The Dungeons, Civilization)
    HD Plants + Herbs
    Moss Rocks
    Static Mesh Improvement Mod (SMIM, Parts 1 & 2)
    Better Dynamic Snow
    Towns and Vllages Enhanced (There are a tonne of these, one for each town, + inns, villages & a few others)
    Belt Fastened Quivers
    Rainbows
    Lush Greens
    Dense Vegetation
    Pure Waters
    Reduced Distance NPC Greetings
    Ash Pile Expiration
    Water and Terrain Enhancement Redux
    Distant Detail (Hearthfire Edition)
    Birds and Flocks (Hearthfire Edition)
    Detailed Outskirts
    RCRN 3.6 (Realistic Colors and Real Nights)
    Milky Way Galaxy Texture v1.2
    Vibrant Auroras
    Deeper Snow (More Snow)
    More Village Animals
    Detailed Cities
    EzE's Colored Map Markers
    Shooting Stars
    Real Glaciers V2
    EDWS - Enhanced Dynamic Weather System
    Lanterns of Skyrim - All in One
    Complete Skyforge
    Bigger Trees - Falkreath
    Better Embers
    SkyUI

Few others I have comments on:
    Bandolier - Bags and Pouches *Extra carrying capacity, but it is a crafted item, so you can find your own balance or not use it.

Unread Books Glow *Possibly a bit unrealistic, but saved me reading every book everywhere to know if I've read it before or not, I do turn the glow right down

Crimson Tide - Blood (New 2.2) *Personally I turned this one off again, found it a bit over the top. Skyrim's deaths could do with a bit more detail, but this was to me more dragon Age style, too much blood.

Lockpick Pro *Apparently makes lockpicking easier, not used it, never had an issue, if you're used to fallout lock picking, probably don't bother, if you don't like the lock picking minigame, then perhaps give it a go.

6. Nikolaf

Nikolaf Active Member

Thanks for the recommendations. Father - Thanks for the youtube video. Someone recommended to me the Bag of Holding. Anyone use it?

7. Rick Fortune

Rick Fortune Well-Known Member

I have, and it's Ok. Bandolier's better, IMHO.

Mods I would not go without are SkyUI and the Static Mesh Improvement Mod as mentioned by Brootal above. (If you don't use that, things like ropes etc that should look cylindrical etc look just about flat and ugly.) I also recommend Skyrim 2k Textures. If you're going to use a few mods, check out how to install Skyrim Script Extender, (SKSE), as a lot of mods need that to run correctly.

If you want your elves to look more human, as per LOTR elves, you can look at Ethereal Elven Overhaul.

There's another Blood mod that's a bit less OTT, in Enhanced Blood Textures, which is relatively customizable.

Will have a closer look at my mod list when I get home.

After a closer look, another one you should look at is A Quality World Map, also look for Better Shaped Weapons, which fixes the fact that a lot of the default weapons are way too thick and look blunt and wrong.

The thing about the Steam workshop is that there's a file size limit on their downloads. Father's spot on about Nexus Mod Manager and the Nexus. It's free to join, as well, though if you do drop a little coin you can get a Premium membership, which allows access to some better and faster servers for downloads.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  8. xenoph

xenoph Retired Captain

I've owned Skyrim on both PC and 360 for quite some time, and never finished it, but reading about all of these mods (I've not used any before) makes me want to pick it up again.

9. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

You can make it an almost entirely different game so it's great if you're like me and get bored with the main story and most quests.

For example, the way I have it set up now you make a character but then it drops you randomly into the world. The world now has a large number of battlefields in which various factions fight. So you'll be wandering around exploring and suddenly come across 60 people fighting it out. In addition to them, extremely difficult named enemies spawn randomly and if you manage to kill them will drop really decent gear.

So now I don't bother with quests at all, just wander around exploring and coming across huge battles which I can join.

And on a separate save, if I'm in the mood for it, I'll use 28 days and a bit which simulates a zombie apocalypse. Very detailed mod, you can set how it starts, how quick it spreads etc. Hilarious visiting a town only to find it has been completely overrun. It will kill important NPCs though so not recommended if you plan to do quests.

10. Rick Fortune

Rick Fortune Well-Known Member

I should have mentioned Open Cities as well. Much more immersive. I see it's in Father's video though, so I guess you know about that one now.

THIS is a list of mods I found on REDDIT that should give a few ideas, too.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  11. Scy

Scy Getting Started

On the less serious side of mods I think there's a super saiyan mod that lets you fly around as Goku from Dragon Ball Z as well as a mod that turns dragons in the Macho Man Randy Savage, complete with voice.