The Free MMO review and discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Free to grind' started by HenriDeacon, Nov 8, 2009.

1. HenriDeacon

HenriDeacon Well-Known Member

A few of us are currently exploring the world of free MMOs. Looks to be plenty of good ones available and we have just began playing Runes of Magic. If you have any info you would like to share about free MMOs, let us know. Also if you are looking for new players to join you.

2. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

Not exactly free but... Warhammer Online just launched a new free trial with no time duration. you can play for as long as you like, with as many classes as you like from either faction. you can participate in the game fully; the catch is they cap you off at level 10 (which is a good place to be in terms of tier1 pvp).

Mythic Entertainment | Warhammer Online ? Play the Free Trial!

* Also, they have a new streaming client which is much smaller than typical mmo's of our day to install, it just downloads as necessary so will end up being a lot smaller install (a couple gig instead of several).

3. brohawk

brohawk Retired Captains

Actually I think I had the most fun in tier 1 PvP in WAR, so that is an interesting development. :)

4. Ariya

Ariya Well-Known Member

Thanks for starting the thread Henri ! Waxwork and me have tested quit a few, and we were working on a review of some of them.
    This is my opinion about some anime mmo's I've played.

Ragnarok online by Gravity

Ragnarok is a classic among the f2p anime mmo's, it was first released in 2001. The game is partially based on Norse mythology and is set in a 3 dimensional environment, except for the avatars who are 2 dimensional. Pvp is an important part of the game. Guilds can win control over a castle for a certain period of time by winning a war between guilds. The winning guild also gains access to a special dungeon where they have the chance of dropping rare items. A sequel for the game is being developed.
    Population : there is still a lot of interest for ragnarok.
    Quality : the game is old school, it's time for that long awaited sequel : Ragnarok The gate of the world !
    http://iro.ragnarokonline.com/

Rose online by Gravity

Players are in a rush to discover the different planets on rose online. Travelling by cart, and for the lucky few by castle gear, visitors start their journey on the planet of Junon to protect the worlds against the evil Hebarn and his followers. Interplanetary travel is possible by using a flying vessel to continue the battle on the cold and icy planet Luna. At higher level the journey ends for now in the jungle of Eldeon, the third planet.
    Population : this game is not so known as ragnarok online so you must not expect a large server population
    Quality : the game is very attractive but it's a shame there still are a lot of maps missing. Development isn't Gravity's strongest side.
    ROSE Online: The Official Site of ROSE Online North America

Atlantica online by Ndoors

Atlantica online is a turn based mmo where you get up to nine mercenaries to help you out in battle. You can still group with up to two other players. The gameplay reminds me bit of Final Fantasy VII. Your adversary does all his attacks in one time which is good if you don't like waiting. Except for dungeons there is no aggro in this game untill high lvl. The main quest is well worked out and crafting is important in this game too. Pvp tournaments are a big thing in Atlantica and fun because of the turn based gameplay.

Population : well populated
    Quality : The turn based gameplay is a nice change from the usual type of Korean mmo's. It makes grinding a lot less boring too.
    http://atlantica.ndoorsgames.com/center/default.asp

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  5. Ariya

Ariya Well-Known Member

Seal online by YNK

This game has very original graphics and a unique pet system. Players can drop eggs who they must feed at given times to be able to let their pets evolve to the next stage. If they are really lucky they get a rare pet with very good status points. One of the classes,a jester, is sort of original too. He never stops dancing and he throws daggers or playcards at the enemy. For those who are in love there is a very good marriage system that gives nice rewards when you have been married for a certain number of days in game. When the couple sits down together you get this animation of a couple sitting on a bench, holding hands and even kissing when they have been married long enough.
    Population : this game is not very populated
    Quality : don't be fooled by the sweet things I wrote above, this is a game that is challenging for hardcore players aswell. Be prepared to do a lot of farming to get that special drop that will finally complete your endgame set of equipment.

DONTBLYNK ::: sealonline.dontblynk.com

Dragonica online (side-scroller) by IAH games

Dragonica is a 3D sidescrolling game where you fight your way through the levels as a kind of Super Mario. The game has all the elements of a normal mmo such as pvp, guilds and four classes to chose from. The graphics are very cute and funny, when a person dies for example you see there eyes bulging out and their mouth falling open, like one would see in certain cartoons. There are instances that you can solo or harder ones that require grouping.
    Population : there are separate servers for NA, Europe and Asia. They block European IP's on the NA server and vice versa.
    Quality : this game is just so much fun ! You can use a joystick but the game plays smoothly too if you use a keyboard.

Dragonica: the free to play arcade-style 3D side-scrolling MMORPG | Free PC online game presented by gPotato

6. Ariya

Ariya Well-Known Member

Ether Saga online by Perfect World

ESO is based on one of the four great classic Chinese novels : Journey to the West. The graphics are very stylish with beautiful Chinese landscapes and buildings. This game is a good choice for people who don't like grinding. You never run out of quests and due to the numerous daily events you level up quit easily. At higher level you need to kill a whole lot of mobs for every quest, but since almost every class has very good area over effect skills this isn't a problem. Transportation is a lot of fun on ESO because you get to fly on a cloud. Players can easily transform themselves in different kinds of mobs when they drop a transformation card on them. This comes in very handy when you are doing instances later on because some of these transformations give you good defense. Pets are important in this game, you need two of them, one with good stats for your character to meld with to get the extra status points from the pet. The other one assists you when you fight.
    Population : there are 2 servers who each have 15 realms (channels) so you never get the impression that the game is crowded
    Quality : the game is excellent, the only negative thing about it is the difficulty to get good upgraded equipment, so get yourself ready for some fast leveling and a long time of farming except if you are willing to pay for the equipment upgrades with real money in the item mall.

Ether Saga Online - Free Anime MMORPG | Play Free Online Video Games

Fiesta online, a turn-based mmo by Outspark

This is a very casual mmo. There is no stressful level grinding, you can easily reach endlevel in one to two months. The classes are well balanced and the drop rate for getting good items is one of the best that I have seen. The best thing about this game is that you can participate in a daily event called the Kingdom Quest. The number of participants for these quests is limited. In a group of up till 15 people you are then summoned into one of the eight Kingdom Quest instances. You get an award for participating in these according to the number of mobs you managed to kill. The crafting system in this game is nice too.
    Population : The game is played by millions of people all over the world, you won't get lonely playing this one.
    Quality : This is a good game overall, it has something for everyone. I would especially recommend it to people who are new to the world of mmo's.
    http://fiesta.outspark.com/

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
    brohawk likes this.
  7. ColdCamV

ColdCamV Active Member

very nicely done Ariya I would add some games but I will try and go into as much detail as you did with your ones:D all copied from wikipedia i might add:D

Anarchy Online (AO)
    Published and developed by Funcom. Released in the summer of 2001, the game was first in the genre to include a science-fiction setting, dynamic quests, free trials, and in-game advertising. The game's ongoing story revolves around the fictional desert planet Rubi-Ka, the source of a valuable mineral known as "notum". Fighting for military and political power on Rubi-Ka are the Omni-Tek corporation (owners of the planet's thousand-year lease), the separatist Clans, terrorist groups, aliens, and ancient civilizations.
    Population: In hot zones it can be pretty packed aswell as around quest areas but if you decide to run off and explore well you can literally go for hours without finding anyone and getting lost (like i did on numerous occasions)
    Quality: The game can sometiems go slow and be a tad wierd with your bun double firing or not firing at all and your character getting stuck in the floor and what not but overall its a good game:D

Ariya likes this.
  8. HenriDeacon

HenriDeacon Well-Known Member

9. Ariya

Ariya Well-Known Member

Thanks Coldcam. Never played that one but it reminds me a bit of Phantasy Star online. So I'm not the only one that gets lost while wandering around on maps ! hehe

10. ColdCamV

ColdCamV Active Member

haha its like my fave past time in game...i dont care about level i just love exploring:p oh and jumping haha

11. ColdCamV

ColdCamV Active Member

Sword Of The New World, Granado Espada
    I remember when this game first came out i was so psyched for it and played it non stop for the 5 day trial and then it became pay:( but now its free again:)

The world of Granado Espada takes place on a newly discovered continent based on the Americas during the Age of Exploration. The world is divided into different maps and grouped into themed regions such as forests, tropical jungles, plains, swamps, deserts and ice fields to name a few.
    The continent, currently under the control of the fictional Kingdom of Vespanola, is in a crisis due to negligence by the home nation due to War in the old world. On the continent itself, internal strife has arised from the feud between the Royalists, and the Republicans campaigning for independence. Therefore, the Vespanolan Queen has ordered a Reconquista of the continent by attracting people from the old world to settle there. The player takes the role as a pioneering family from the old world, eager to explore the continent and eliminate elements that will threaten the survival of its people. Thats the setting of the game. You have a "family" of which can have different characters of different classes thats all fairly normal BUT WAIT! The thing is you control 3 character AT THE SAME TIME nyah back then it was pretty original for an MMORPG.:D
    Population: On certain servers it can be densely populated but other times you wont see people for ages.
    Quality: Amazing graphics, good fighting system with the 3 people, quests are a bit stale and theres no way to go off the beaten track because the map is split into parts so you always got a barrier around the area your in...and then several exits to choose from.

12. Ariya

Ariya Well-Known Member

That sounds great, wouldn't mind testing Sword of the New World. Can players still group with a friend with the system of three characters or is it mainly for solo playing ?

13. ColdCamV

ColdCamV Active Member

yeah they can i teamed up with my mate and my bro so their was like 9 characters running around killing things:D

14. Ariya

Ariya Well-Known Member

Rohan Online by YNK

Rohan is one of the better PVP oriented F2P mmo's. Guilds can participate daily in small townwars and there's a big war in the weekend to gain the ownership over a town for a week. Guilds usually fight together with another guild, who they can add as a permanent ally. By using the revenge system players can track the last people who killed them and teleport to them to get some sweet revenge. The races in this game are awesome. Each race is tied to a class. The Dhan race, who uses dual blades and has high attack speed can chose between assassin mode and normal mode. In assassin mode their name is not displayed and they can get exp from player killing.
    R.O.H.A.N.: Blood Feud

Population : go for the first server, the servers at the bottom are sort of deserted
    Quality : It's a great game but the exp rate is very low. Best thing is to earn a bit of money ingame and trade that legally ingame for item mall cash. Then get yourself a lot of exp x 2 scrolls. What I liked the best on rohan were the classes. An archer that has area over effect skills was the class I absolutely had to test. Playing a priest on rohan is quit a challenge when you have to keep a group alive that's killing elite mobs.

Silkroad online by Joymax

The storyline in this game is based on the silkroads to China who were used for trade. Silkroad has great graphics and a unique class system : at lvl 20 players chose between becoming trader, hunter or thief. Traders travel from one city to another with their merchandise. Hunters travel along with the traders to keep the traders safe, and hunt the thiefs if they get into trouble. Thiefs rob the traders and are hunted by player hunters and npc hunters.
    The game originally only had the chinese part of the game but later on they added a European side too. Players can decide on which side they will start but at higher level players from the two regions eventually go to maps for both Europeans and Chinese characters.
    JOYMAX.COM - Global Hub of Fun :: SilkroadOnline

Population : This is the bad part. There are a whole lot of servers but they are almost constantly exceeded. Being able to log in without going to a whole lot of trouble on silkroad means buying a scroll from their item mall. This gives you a means to log in even if everything is exceeded.
    Quality : If it weren't for the bots who cause the overpopulation of the servers and the log in problem I would say this is one of the best f2p games out there. It's still high on my list of favorites though... I'll probably play it again but only with the item mall option, which gives you exp x2 scrolls and some other useful stuff too by the way.

15. Ariya

Ariya Well-Known Member

Some first impression video's made by Massively.com about the upcoming f2p MMO Allods online that has just finished it's first closed beta.

16. ColdCamV

ColdCamV Active Member

Now for some games a little different

Navy Field
    Navy Field
    is a MMO simulating naval combat during World War 2. There are many different ships and classes to choose from and its a very well created game...not really like a free roaming MMO it does take alot of skill and time to get used to everything..(i have played this game many times and still struggle to figure things out) each ship is different and each country has different ships available aswell as weapons, sailors etc.
    Population : The game is extremely populated at times in certain areas..which are easily accessed as soon as you leave the dock. their arent as many games but their are alot of people
    Quality : with the ability to have over 126 ships in one game each one being controlled by an actual person ranging from the little frigates up to aircraft carriers and Battleships..this is a really good game...but unless you no life this game for ages you wont get very far unless you actually opt out and get a subscription deal for something like $13..even then unless you know what your doing it will still take ages.

17. r8response

r8response Well-Known Member

Something to note about Navy Field is you are restricted to a very low resolution. So if like me you have a 24" LCD it can be quite annoying.

18. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

Reminds me of that NASA game in the works, not sure if its a Freemmo or not.

19. ColdCamV

ColdCamV Active Member

well seeing as i have peoples attention lol...another boating MMO to say the least

Voyage Century Online
    It is set in 17th century Earth and features accurate historical representations of several coastal cities. Players are not required to choose a career path at the beginning of the game. This gives players a rather varied gameplay in which you can either specialize in one skill and trade for resources, or make use of all the skills. The game is really full on with amazing battles including both on sea and land. I will leave the rest to their website..In Voyage Century, you will experience the shocking action of hundreds of warships slugging it out in real time! The beautiful graphics and perfect ocean waves represent the grand scenes of sea battle and bring you extraordinary experience, imagine you are standing on the deck or a grand warship,you can smell the gun smoke and feel the ship rocking as it fires salvo after salvo at the enemy . The combat tactics are all up to you! You can sit back and pound the enemy from afar with your grand cannons or get in close and try to board the enemy's ship for close combat action. Just like in real life,battles between countries, guilds and parties may just break out at any moment.
    Population : Their are alot of players online doing farming, selling, sailing..and theirs basically people everywhere..if your in a guild or anything you can team up in battles to make fights to capture enemy buildings and other guilds stuff easier...i remember me and my mate teaming up with 2 other people to raid a pirate infested island...it was us 4 take on 12 ships..we couldnt win so we rushed the island and fought on the land.
    Quality : Stunning graphics, tonnes of people and boats and weapons and plans for different boats. Alot of hidden things and ways to gain experience it is a truly amazing MMO...only wierd thing i couldnt understand is that your beggining armour was like the strongest armour you can have till like level 20...and theirs quite a few glitchs and stuff..but overall...a trully good game.

20. Ariya

Ariya Well-Known Member

The only mmo I've tested that is partly a boating mmo is Florensia online. That game looked appealing to me because the graphic style is anime like and the thought of having your own boat seems fun. These games you reviewed seem a lot better though.
    I didn't give Florensia the full test because I was on this dreadfull French server. The worldchat is free on this mmo (on a lot of free mmo's you need to buy an item with real money from the mall to be able to speak on worldchat) and it got spammed all the time by punks, which got on my nerves after a while. I did find the boating part really challenging though, so maybe I'll try one of your games instead !