The HOLY CRAP Sale!

Discussion in 'Digital Distribution & Mobile Game Applications' started by Harry Reems, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Thermal Ions

Thermal Ions Retired Captain

Yes, TOG Division exists but that's about it. HenriDeacon is the current DC after Vetinari's recent retirement. There are a good bunch over at Dirty Deeds who welcome TOG'ers - believe there was some sort of sister group arrangement in place or something. There are some TOG casual meets that run Sat mornings Australian time (Fri night US).

As to the game itself. Trackmania existed in a number of early versions (original, sunrise), then was followed by the release of Trackmania Nations (free) and Trackmania United (not free) with both of these since updated with the free "Forever" patch. Thus the current version games you now have are:

Trackmania Nations Forever
    - Free Game, unlimited playability in it's own right without feeling like a demo
    - Online and Offline Play
    - Stadium Environment only
    - Race mode only (which for online can contain round, time attack, team, laps)
    - Track Editor
    - Large number of online "Nations" servers with standard and custom tracks
    - Custom car models / skins available (others can't see your custom skins however)
    - Nations Trailer here

Trackmania United Forever
    - Purchase Game (Boxed or digital download)
    - Online and Offline Play
    - Seven environments (Stadium, Island, Desert, Bay, Rally, Coast, Snow) each with different graphics and car handling physics
    - Four offline modes (Race, Puzzle, Platform, Stunt)
    - Five online racing modes (Round, Time Attack, Team, Laps, Stunt)
    - Track Editor
    - Large number of online "United" and "Nations" servers with standard and custom tracks
    - Custom car models / skins available and can be seen by others
    - United Trailers here, with webisodes available to download showing specific aspects of the game

The games are based around racing against the clock, and as such there is no collision detection against other vehicles. You do still have the appearance of racing directly against opponents on your screen however, although as it's all times based, lag is irrelevant.

It's very much an arcade as opposed to simulation game in the way the cars handle, but fits beautifully and means that it's a fun game for those who normally dislike racing games. Crashing in this is a load of laughs.

If you don't get "United" today, do yourself a favour and give the free Nations a go sometime.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  2. Thermal Ions

Day 5 - Final Day

Day 5 - Final Day

Another fizzer for me it seems, although I don't really know anything about Quantz and Evil Genius.

Column1
    The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition ....... $ 2.49 ($ 9.99)
    Dawn of Discovery .......................................... $34.99 ($49.99)
    Mirror's Edge ...................................................$ 4.99 ($19.99)
    The Chronicles of Riddick Assault on Dark Athena .. $ 9.99 ($19.99)
    Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood ............................ $20.99 ($29.99)
    Section 8 ...................................................... $32.99 ($65.99)
    Quantz ......................................................... $ 2.00 ($ 9.99)
    Evil Genius .................................................... $ 2.49 ($9.99)

Interestingly, section 8 is only $24.99 , discounted from $49.99 if you live in the US. **

** If you're from outside the US and click this link, please ensure you return your browser to your own region afterwards - AU, UK, or others by substituting the appropriate 2 character country code at the end of the URL.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  3. Bawheidbob

Bawheidbob Well-Known Member

Nothing much interests me bar Monkey Island though i think i will leave that in the 'happy memories - top 3 best games of all time' area of my brain

I did spot the new chapters though, to go off topic slightly anyone know if no5 is the last one?

4. wHiTeRaSTa

wHiTeRaSTa Well-Known Member

Jeez mate you'd be spewin now that Mirrors Edge is on sale as of today's specials for $4.99..:eek: I hate it when that happens.

5. Rog69

Rog69 Well-Known Member

Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in!

There was nothing over the past two days that I wanted and I was determined not to buy any more games this week but I just ended up getting Riddick, Monkey Island and Mirror's Edge :).

Somebody gave me Mirror's Edge for the PS3 and I'm about two thirds of the way through it and every minute of the game that I have played so far I have spent thinking about how much better it would be with mouse and keyboard instead of a pad.
    I just hope I can find a level skip cheat for the PC version so I don't have to go through it all again :rolleyes:.

6. Harry Reems

Harry Reems Active Member

I grabbed Riddick and Quantz.

I also got Evil Genius, which is really an overlooked classic. If you liked Dungeon Keeper and it's sequel then you will like this also.

As for Mirrors Edge, I bought a copy from the US for $2 on sale. So no need to buy that :)

7. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

Oh well, I wanted to buy it when it was in the shops for about $90 but my computer at the time was going to struggle with the specs. So paying $20 for it now I have a newish system doesn't bother me, but yeah oh well $5 would have been sweeter.

Remembering all the different moves on keyboard/mouse is the biggest barrier to this game for an oldie. Not good for the occasional infrequent game, and rather you need to play it consistently I would say to get used to the controls. Well that's after one 20 minute play of it so far.

8. Mighty Brush

Mighty Brush Well-Known Member

Evil Genius is flawed genius - excellent game, with a good premise, but execution is not so good. You will definitely get 2.49 USD worth out of it though :)

Quantz is a puzzle game, not all that great, but at $2 USD, why not?

Got Evil Genius, Quantz and Monkey Island for the GF (I already have Evil Genius, but she likes to play it, so she can have a copy for her account). Got Quantz and Mirror's Edge for myself.

9. Harry Reems

Harry Reems Active Member

Yeah it was flawed. Though it was still a fun game, and you can hack things like the amount of minions (which was an issue). I agree at $2.50 most people will get more than their moneys worth out of it :)

10. Unknown

Unknown Retired Captain

Ooh - Steam just updated TMUF to the "Star Edition" to include the newly released additional solo tracks... time to give 'em a burn. :)

11. bork

bork Getting Started

Geez. Just picked up Mirror's Edge, Monkey Island, Quantz, Evil Genius from the sale, plus Serious Sam HD.

All I need now is some time to play them...

The THQ pack looked very tempting for $50US too... even just for DoW2 and Titan Quest.

12. Mighty Brush

Mighty Brush Well-Known Member

Don't forget it's also got all of Call of Duty! Plus all of Dawn Of War 1, and other random junk.

I worked out it's about the same as if I got the expansions of CoD (I already had titan quest and DoW2), so I got it since I now also get all the other stuff (and I'd never really played much DoW1).

Edit: For some reason in my head I call "Company of Heroes" "Call of Duty". Yet I've never played CoD... Go Figure :)

13. Thermal Ions

I just noticed the new update. Heading to download now, as I've the non steam version.

Tried out the demo for Quantz and it looks interesting enough for $2 (my first thought was an interesting 3D tetris). Installing the demo for Evil Genius now to see what it's like.

14. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

The special edition has 2 versions of the game, the unaltered original and one with modern high resolution visuals and fully voiced.

I got Monkey Island, Riddick (always wanted to play it, it got good reviews), Evil Genius & Quantz.

Mirrors Edge is an absolute steal for $5. Loved that game, played through it several times already and still fire it up for a run every now and then.

15. Jigoku

Jigoku Retired Captain

Riddick and Mirror's Edge for me ...

And I held out so long on buying anything too ... =/

(Though to be honest, it was because I already owned them ... )

16. wHiTeRaSTa

wHiTeRaSTa Well-Known Member

Riddick and Mirror's Edge for me as well...$14.98....hahhhaaahhaaaaa

Not sure i'll ever prepurchase or buy a game at launch again with these deals going down..i nearly bought both these games at full price not long ago.

Oh..the only game that i've had a win win by prepurchasing was Borderlands....with the current price fiasco..

Benda likes this.
  17. King_Rocket

King_Rocket Well-Known Member

I picked up Ghostbusters, Mirrors Edge and the THQ Pack, Bargain!

18. Rog69

Rog69 Well-Known Member

Grrr, I bought Riddick and then realised afterwards that it comes with limited activation rootkit like DRM, I don't buy games that use crap like that on principal. Time to see if Valve will issue one of their one off goodwill refunds :mad:.

19. Benda

Benda Well-Known Member

i havent stopped...bought more than 3 each day.

the plastic is melting!

20. Thermal Ions

At least with these prices it's melting very slowly in very small amounts ;)