The HOLY CRAP Sale!

Discussion in 'Digital Distribution & Mobile Game Applications' started by Harry Reems, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Firebrand

Firebrand Well-Known Member

I can tell you for certain that if they do, (not that I believe they wont.) they will refund every other game in that transaction.

wHiTeRaSTa likes this.
  2. Rog69

Rog69 Well-Known Member

It's academic now anyway, they won't refund me. I won't be so quick to buy games from Steam without checking into them in future, why the hell a Steam game needs this kind of DRM crap on top is beyond me, if I wanted to rent the game I would have gone to blockbusters and hired the PS3 version instead.

3. Mighty Brush

Mighty Brush Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was going to buy it, and refuse to buy games with DRM (other than steam's unobtrusive stuff). Luckily I always check the details on the right hand side of the game info page (lists publisher details etc). They always add an extra column that has "third-party DRM" listed.

That game has an extra nasty one that limits you to "activating" (read using) on three different sets of hardware. ever.

4. Rog69

Rog69 Well-Known Member

Thats the part that pisses me off the most, I am planning an upgrade and a change to Windows 7 in the near future, and not necessarily at the same time so that could potentially burn through the activations in no time :mad:.

5. Harry Reems

Harry Reems Active Member

After doing some searching Atari claimed they would be releasing a patch to remove the DRM soon. Hopefully they will hold true to their promise, like they did with NWN2.

If I'd known, I most likely wouldn't have bought it. That sort of crap does nothing more than turn legitimate customers off buying games. Games with this sort of protection are easily cracked by smart thieves, and widely available through many questionable sources. Most people would look at the restrictions imposed by buying the game, and just choose to steal it instead.

6. Mighty Brush

It's not theft, it's copyright infringement, so you're not "stealing" anything as much as certain organisations would like people to think that it's "like stealing".

But we digress.

I already miss the steam sale, even though I spent WAAAAAAAAAAY more than I should have :)

7. Unknown

Unknown Retired Captain

At the behest of the publisher - it's like asking why does Crysis on Steam have SecuROM DRM with activation limits when the original Crysis on physical media didn't?

8. Thermal Ions

Thermal Ions Retired Captain

Usually I put it down to laziness on behalf of publishers in not bothering to remove DRM on digital copies, but that Crysis deal almost seems like wanting to spite the digital customer.

9. Jigoku

Jigoku Retired Captain

All digital copies are typically identical. Not all digital distribution methods use an extra layer of authentication, so all copies get dumped with it. Valve typically do what they can to convince publishers to remove it but they are not always successful, at least not from the outset.

10. Rog69

Rog69 Well-Known Member

I wonder sometimes if it's a case of them not wanting to remove one form of DRM to replace it with another, ie Steam because it will enable pirates to compare the code of both versions and spot where the DRM is embedded into the game files.

11. Mighty Brush

No, it's really not this at all. Reversing the DRM isn't a big issue, it's all known code and relatively easy to strip out.

It's more that most DRM software needs to be "deeply" integrated into the code, requiring multiple builds which must then be tested separately, which is costly on the resources.

"light" DRM like that from steam is far less of a hassle to manage, so a lot just "wrap" it over their existing build (with DRM in it).

So yes, DRM is doubly crap, it makes it hard for your legit users and costs you more.

12. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

Lets face it. The only people that suffer from these are legitimate customers, pirates are going to do it somehow either way. Just like those annoying "pirating is stealing!" warnings on DVD movie's.

13. Mighty Brush

Ahhhh, I love those things, especially the old ones that used to say "If you don't see this then your video might be PIRATED"

Which is code for "Go get a pirated copy so you don't have to put up with this."

14. Rog69

Rog69 Well-Known Member

I bought my daughter an educational DVD last year and it had so many un-skippable warnings and trailers that she would walk away and do something else before the actual program came on.
    I ended up ripping it from the disk and making it into another DVD for her. I've noticed that DVD's aimed at pre-school kids are twice as bad as regular DVD's for this, especially ones produced by that big corporation with the mouse.

15. Bort

Bort Well-Known Member

Ok - its not really part of the Oh Crap Sale, but picked up Zeno Clash for a fiver. The guys that made this were under some serious medication.

wHiTeRaSTa likes this.
  16. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

I picked this up too, but haven't had time to try it yet. I was eyeing it off before it hit steam purely for the artistic style, so I'm keen to check it out soon.

17. Rog69

Rog69 Well-Known Member

I played through the Zeno clash demo and really enjoyed it, it's a steal at that price. I wont be picking it up though, I cant justify buying a 10th game this week :)

18. NackaJeem

NackaJeem Well-Known Member

Most Uncle Walt's videos have around ten minutes of trailers at the beginning. It's just atrocious.

Might just get myself a copy of Zeno Clash. It looks very odd.

I did grab Mirror's Edge for $5.00 but for the life of me couldn't get it to run on either Vista or Win 7. Looking around the net, this is pretty common. The error relates to a problem with the .NET component of Windows. Tried many things to fix, no improvement. Works fine on my XP machine but that has very sub-standard hardware. Sigh.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  19. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

I'm running mirror's edge on vista and not had a problem. Well except for the fact that the cursor while playing can leave the playing window if you pan too far and then click on something it opens that window and alt tabs out of the game. :| Bizarre and bloody annoying, especially when trying to do tricky sequences! Will abandon if I don't find a way around this.

GRID game crashes on me, well it crashes my whole system every play, but at different times. Enjoy the game and want to play this but ready to give up on this too sadly. I've tried all manner of updates and lowering of specs and not helping. :(

20. Jigoku

Jigoku Retired Captain

And I'm running flawlessly in Win7; 64-bit version no less ...

Play in fullscreen mode?