The Secret world - Funcom

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by DonY, Jan 23, 2012.

1. DonY

DonY Active Member

Any of you seen this or read up at all. I have to admit it does intrigue me and im so glad on the whole theres a few games coming out without the 1 . to X levels. over 500 skills can be learnt, huge modern day world inc places like London, New York, Seoul and major cities. You fight pvp for areas such as stonehenge and various landmarks. Also has 3 factions from what im aware not the traditional 2.
    The Secret World | Funcom

Only downside is it is made by Funcom and after AOC launch im sure a few will avoid. Ive signed up for Beta as im very interested and if anyone else has some more info id like to know more...

Thx

Don

2. Getafix

Getafix Retired Captain

Yeah I've been following this one off and on for a while now. I got burned in AoC (what a bug fest!) but I'm willing to give them another chance. It definitely looks intriguing, the settings look great and the PvP looks rather enticing.

Looks like March for a release, only a few months after TOR (or around the same time if there are actually any Aussies not currently playing who plan to!).

3. Vennator

Vennator Getting Started

Looks like an interesting concept!

4. Macro

Macro Well-Known Member

Don't forget the Anarchy Online launch, in my book the worst failure in MMO history. Given Funcom's track record, I won't be preordering. I still have some interest in the game, but they'll have to prove they can release a stable, relatively finished product before I'll put down any money on it.

5. Justin Kace

Justin Kace Retired Captain

Yeah there is awareness in these here hills (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/mmorpg-games-realms/231059-shhh-its-secret.html).

Funny, I loaded up TOG this morning with the express purpose of coming on and posting about TSW. I'm really looking forward to it. I will be pre-ordering regardless of Funcom's rep. I was there for the start of AoC as well, but hey, I'm a sucker for punishment. :p

The main reason I'm pre-ordering though, is that this is the first new MMO in a long time, that I have actually been excited about. I've been following it since it was first announced and as release approaches I am just getting more and more excited about it. It's a nice feeling that I haven't had about an MMO since... Ooooohhh Star Wars Galaxies? Maybe that should be a warning for me... ;)

But really, I'll be there with bells on, and I'm going to do my best to stick out any roughness as well. I'm not going to be racing to character cap. This is going to have some cool story I reckon and I want to immerse myself in it.

Go the Dragons! An auspicious year for launch!!! :D

6. xenoph

xenoph Retired Captain

Templars, you mean.

:bignono:

Edit: Oh, I forgot, I'm a Dragon too. You're alright then. ;)

7. nevershine

nevershine Active Member

pretty much exactly this... Besides the dragons. I made the test a few yeaes back and got templar so going with that at least first. I've been following tsw from about 2008 and it'll be awesome... I hope :)

8. Aldmw

Aldmw Active Member

9. nevershine

nevershine Active Member

Well I know what I'll get for my birthday.. Shame it's delayed but it'll be worth it I think.

10. C0untZ3Ro

C0untZ3Ro Getting Started

I'll be going Illuminati

11. DonY

DonY Active Member

Im kind of happy for a delay..more polish the better.
    On another note it gives a short bit of time to dabble with TERA some more, which is also pretty fun.

A bit of info....http://kairava.net/library.php?id=15#1

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  12. nevershine

nevershine Active Member

That'll be worth a look too yeah!

13. Medrall

Medrall Well-Known Member

14. Nemo.

Nemo. Retired Captain

My wife and I will be playing, almost certainly. While Funcom has had a rocky road, the story value of some of Tornquist's non-MMO offerings is lauded in the industry. And in my opinion, there were aspects of their other games that were quite intriguing, if somewhat weird.

As for TSW, if they can manage half of what they hope to, it will be ground-breaking. If they actually could do it all, it would redefine MMOs. My hope at the moment is that the skill wheel and deck system will actually make it possible for people that progress at different rates to stay together for missions.

I know someone in the beta and she is rather optimistic at the moment, though her NDA prevents her from being extremely specific.

Certainly worth at least a few months' try from me, and if it doesn't measure up, one can always practise the consumer's ultimate veto. ;)

15. DonY

DonY Active Member

forget

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  16. Nemo.

Nemo. Retired Captain

Interestingly, people have been playing TSW for several years. There is already a lot of backstory, plus false websites, and quite a few puzzles and Dev forum identities interacting.

If you haven't seen it, here's an old plot hook that is currently still being analyzed by a bunch of people: go to funcom.com (NOT TSW site, the parent company). Click once on any part of the screen that is NOT a link. Type 33. See what happens.

I think this is one of those games where the Devs may eventually incorporate some of the community theories and ideas without actually telling anyone, and then later say, "Wow, you figured it out." ;)

What attracts me is that there are already some very capable minds that are, well, if not obsessing, are already very interested in this game.

17. Blue_Talon

Blue_Talon Well-Known Member

I too am rather intrigued by this game. If it does what it sets out to do then I may never have to roll an alt ever! How no levels with gear progressions works, I don't know, but it should be interesting. Hopefully the crafting is a bit more definitive than Swtor. rng is painful for my inner crafter.

Btw I will be illuminati and prob twin swords and some sort of dark supporting magic. I'm thinking a modern day Witcher. Seems appropriate.

When the game comes out I assume we will need a cabal for each fraction, though from the info on the wiki it seems that fraction choice will only be relevant for pvp and story arcs. Cross-faction grouping seems to be possible if not encouraged.

BT

18. Nemo.

Nemo. Retired Captain

That character does sound interesting, Talon.

Yes, cross-faction grouping is to be possible, though also there will be cross-faction PvP (and for all I know, faction-internal, agenda-driven PvP).

I will be in a bit of a quandry. I belong to another "mature attitude/older" gamers group, as well as TOG, though not in any shared games atm. They do not play Perpetuum or EVE, and Perp's my only TOG game at present. I am fairly sure that a number of them will be playing TSW and I made a prior commitment to playing with them. So, if they stick with the idea of going to TSW en masse, I'd likely go with them. OTOH, track record for persistence there is not always good; trying the Next Big Thing is popular.

So, I'll see how things shake down as the release date gets closer. If nothing else, and if it's possible based upon the dynamic, I may suggest a guild-cell-subfaction-whatever it is called "alliance" between them and whichever part of TOG is playing the same conspiracy.

19. Jia

Jia Retired Moderator

Been following the news on this game for years now, it's held my interest ever since I first heard about it. However, I'm quite bummed that you need to buy it and pay a subscription fee to play the game. It's a business model that may have worked well during the last decade, but I'll wait and see if they go free-to-play after Guild Wars 2 gets released.