Things Borderlands should have had

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by Harry Reems, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Harry Reems

Harry Reems Active Member

Ok here's a list of things I feel Borderlands should have had. Most are tried and true ideas from MMO's and Diablo 2. If you have any other ideas just post them.

1. Lock Boxes: Seriously your inventory is not that big anyway and if you find something you want to keep (due to it being nice or you are not at the level to use it) you have no choice but to take up much needed space in your rather miserable backpack.

2. Trading: The only choice we currently have is to just drop an item on the ground like Diablo. Also money you can't drop either, so forget about buying something off someone else.

3. Player Scanning: Damn it would be nice to actually look at what other people have, it increases the Pimp and Epeen factor.

4. Item Rolling: Another great part of WoW. Currently in MP it's just a free for all grab what you can bonanza. Being able to see what is being picked up then either rolling or at least getting a chance to talk about it's use to you or another party member is a must have. Honestly seeing a message saying "Thingy just picked up a Shotgun Of Extremely Brutal Killing Power" just doesn't help anyone.

5. Push to Talk Microphone: Now some people (Including Gearbox) may enjoy hearing people in the game breathing heavily into their mics, screaming at family members or just swearing away.

6. Ammo Sharing: The money sharing is good. Why didn't they bother doing that with Ammo as well? in MP games you're running around trying to beat everyone else to ammo as you only have 3 bullets left (like the rest of the party) :)

7. Dedicated Servers: Gamespy is a right royal pain in the rectum. it takes forever to type in friends names. Most games you can't join due to any number of issues. L4D actually got it right amazingly with a very simple and intuitive system for joining not only good speed games but also friends games.

We are getting older and our hair is not withstanding the test of time. These small changes will save us from premature baldness due to pulling our hair out :)

I will finish with a quote that sums up most of these things that should have been in Borderlands.

James Caleb Colton once said "Imitation is the sincerest of flattery"

theZee likes this.
  2. Yskonyn

Yskonyn Getting Started

All top notch points in my book! :) Especially the inventory (Carrier Imp from Sacred 2 anyone??) and player scanning options, but all points are good!

3. bochaba

bochaba Well-Known Member

Of all you said on ammo sharing is all Id really like.

Playing with people I know, I like the whole "hey come and look at this SMG over here, I think you might like it". Mumble is the best way to voice comm imo. Inventory isn't really a problem when you only store guns and the odd shield.

As for dedicated servers, they suck when they are all full. The joining mechanics certainly could use some work but, once set up, work well enough.

4. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

All yes.

And Mailboxes to your alts. ;)

5. Unknown

Unknown Retired Captain

A lot of people are demanding PTT for voice, so hopefully Gearbox will fix that in due course; however, by then we'll probably all have settled in to Mumble/Ventrilo/whatever and it will become a rather moot point. :)

I'd much prefer direct Steam integration than use of Gamespy, but certainly so far it's been reasonably painless for me; this is a separate issue from dedicated servers, which I admit would be nice (with fallback to local hosting, as L4D does) but certainly isn't always critical.

6. Bort

Bort Well-Known Member

I thought I heard them say that trading might be introduced if enough people wanted it? The current system isnt very elegant. Luckily I'm only playing with mates.

Voip is a pain - I can hear people, but they cant hear me. But its an easy workaround (ie use something else).

Amen to the lockbox idea. I did find if you do the rescue Claptrap missions you get extra storage space. But still, a big yes to the original idea.

I'm surprised you cant trade (even drop on the ground trade) ammo. I'd like to see a better indicator (colour?) of ammo types, maybe for your currently equipped weapons.

7. Yskonyn

Yskonyn Getting Started

What do you mean by 'colour'? All the ammo types have big icons floating over them before you pick em up.
    But I might be missing the point here... :w

;)

8. Bort

Bort Well-Known Member

Its a bit confusing at first, and sometimes you have to think (and I dont like to think). I always seem to be sifting thru the ammo piles, sort out what I want, stuff I dont want, stuff I dont want to take (because someone else needs it).

9. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

It would be nice if ammo had a different stream indicator size/thickness to weapons.

Noting worse than in the heat of battle you try and grab a handful of ammo from under a dead scrag and you end up tossing your epic shotgun for a weaksauce repeater or worse, a crappy shield as you won't know for a while what you've done as it stops putting up messages for whites way below your level.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  10. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

One thing the game really needs is less obscene box art.

[​IMG]

Firebrand likes this.
  11. Unknown

Unknown Retired Captain

What I've found helps is that the players agree on groups of non-overlapping (as much as possible at least) weapon types (eg., revolver + sniper, shotgun + combat rifle, smg + repeater, etc.) then you keep the ammo count for weapons you're not using at their maximum capacity in your kit - this way, you won't accidentally grab someone else's ammo as you each quickly zoom through picking up whatever's on the ground.

12. Bort

Bort Well-Known Member

Max ammo for types you dont use - hadnt thought of that

13. Bort

Bort Well-Known Member

You know - I never noticed that

14. Yskonyn

Yskonyn Getting Started

That's a clever idea... about the max ammo for non-used weapons. *thumbs up*

15. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

A lot of what's been suggested may be added in patches. The developers have said that they would implement a more rigid loot/trading system if the community wanted it.

I've never seen a co-op game done on such a huge scale that also gets so many things right. Even Diablo had more niggling issues than this on release day.

16. Spice.

Spice. Retired Captain

Just need to group with Soldiers more - I picked up a +9 Team Ammo Regen at lvl 19 so we haven't had any problems in a long time. :p

17. Bort

Bort Well-Known Member

I'd like to see some sort of a screen come up when someone in your group hands a mission in. While its cool that anyone can do it (ie not forcing everyone to hand in), its a bit disconcerting when you dont realise that items have been placed in your inventory from mission rewards.

Small niggle, I know.

18. theZee

theZee Retired Moderator

I'd like to see the inventory changed to display icons in small squares instead of the weapon name in a list. For one thing, it would be easier to see how many things you have in your inventory and make it easier to sort things.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  19. Justin Kace

Justin Kace Retired Captain

I actually enjoy the mad diablo-esque scramble for loot. *YOINK* It's all good if you're playing with mates and just hand the guns around anyway.

What I would REALLY like to see is a global loot stash that you can access with all your characters.

20. wHiTeRaSTa

wHiTeRaSTa Well-Known Member

I dig it..:lol: