Things Borderlands should have had

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by Harry Reems, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

Noooooooo!

That'd be a major step backwards. Lists are good. Nice and linear. I abhor games that use mystery meat icons that you have to hunt and peck through to find what you're looking for.

You know you can change the way your inventory sorts/groups items with page up and page down right?

2. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

What I'd really like to see is better co-op quest management. The current system is a ripe pain in the ass and the single biggest barrier to getting stuck into actually playing.

3. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

This is what I'd like to see fixed the most, and the hosting issues of course. And maybe the menus could be a bit less "console-ish", better mouse support and such.'

Oh, and I wish they'd display the levels on those damn artifacts.

4. Mighty Brush

Mighty Brush Well-Known Member

Agreed, it's a hassle constantly having to do the same quests over and over again - unless you have just a couple people you always play with, it's really hard to keep everyone at the same place in the storyline.

5. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

If you could set a sidekick champion like in Champions Online, where everybody in the party could go up/down to the level (Just for the duration of play) of that person it would help bridge the gap a lot.

6. Mighty Brush

Not really, guns make a huge difference - hard to change those.

They just need to make it so that you can bounce around and not worry about continuity.

7. Justin Kace

Justin Kace Retired Captain

Character level difference from the mobs you are fighting makes a massive difference too. I remember fighting some nasties in some crystal caverns when they were three lvls above us. My smg was doing 2 dmg per hit. Level up and it was up to 8 per hit, level again (to the same level as the mobs) and it was at about 30 per hit.

8. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

After playing a bit today I realised I'd also like a "mute claptraps" option. Those things are as bad as Jar Jar Binks.

9. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

I dunno about that, my lvl 29 Siren is using a lvl 12 SMG with x4 bullets and having tried closer level epic SMG's (even those with elemental effects) I still can't get close to the same damage throughput. Which isn't even touching on how much better it is at activating daze from my bullets effect.

10. Mighty Brush

The level of the gun isn't what counts, it's the stats and the bonuses.

E.G: I have an orange "battle raven" combat rifle - and it sucks in comparison to my purple "genocide cobra" simply because the cobra has 55% reload reduction and massive recoil compensation - so it's 3 round burst is dead accurate.

11. Splooky

Splooky Well-Known Member

yeah... disable the ingame comms in the config file and use TS (or mumble or venti or whatever).

I find this works much better than any ingame implementation i have ever seen (or heard) and allows you to chat if the server crashes or woteva. :)

12. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

I've found the damage values misleading in some instances. For Rocket launchers with Elemental effects the damage numbers seem to incorporate a certain amount of the elemental damage itself. When I fire an elemental rocket launcher the up-front damage is tiny, but the damage over time from the elemental effect usually surpasses that value.

13. sapota

sapota Just Joined

I was wondering that too. Currently lighting people on fire with some orange "volcanic sniper" (descriptive text: "Pele demands a sacrifice!" i believe... it's quite fun...). Seems that every one-shot-kill still has two numbers fly off them, even lower-level critters. I've been guessing one number is the "core" bullet damage, and the second is the elemental hit.

As for other things it should have had: I think the side-quest boss, "Slither" was much too hard. ;-)

14. Harry Reems

Harry Reems Active Member

The weapons are all over the place in damage. I've found purples to be my main choice. I play Soldier but use an SMG from my last run. It's got bugger all recoil, really fast reload and dishes out around 150-180 damage per hit (which is at a rate of around 3-5 hits per second?).

I probably won't upgrade till I get another SMG of the same stats, but just higher damage. The shotty is good, but you need to get in pretty damn close to use it. Though corrosive damage could possibly entice me :)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  15. Mighty Brush

Indeed, I use a purple burst CR with recoil and reload reductions, these two mods absolutely pwn every other one - you hit more, and can fire for ages...

I use a CR over an SMG because I have a rifleman classmod with +DMG for CR, which I use on harder fights. Although most of the time I run around with +ammo regen for unlimited ammo (which makes spamming rockets fun - as anyone who's witnessed my carpet bombing will attest).

16. Harry Reems

I prefer the ammo regen as it's a pain picking the stuff up, and a health regen armor nod. Unluckily the + health armor mods are unluckily very uncommon for me, so I was foregoing mods with much higher armor just for the health regen.

17. Mighty Brush

I ignore health. I rarely get through shields, and if I do it's because some lucky mob had a 4x shock pistol and is exploding them (or I didn't see a grenade).

But then I found a shield at aobut lvl 20 (I'm 30) that has 624 capacity (a very rare double capacity modifier on it).

18. theZee

theZee Retired Moderator

Ammo regen FWT! I've found an awesome repeater pistol with ammo regen that is so good, it regens my ammo as fast as I shoot it! :D And i've just found a great class mod that gives me +84% pistol firing speed!! this pistol is going to rock!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  19. Harry Reems

My armor always runs out... Maybe I'm doing something wrong? :)

20. Harry Reems

Yeah pistols are the forgotten gems of the game. We all rant about the SMG, Shotgun and assault rifles, but damn there's some obscene pistols as well :)