Thinking about the future of this forum...

Discussion in 'Digital Distribution & Mobile Game Applications' started by Drac, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Redbeard

Redbeard Well-Known Member

I would trump them all into a single forum, Steam included even though Steam is the biggest. Digital Distribution may be cold but it's also precise (or you can go with 'No discs required').

If there are too many subforums, I think there's a risk some forums won't get a regular bunch commenting there. This tells to people who wander into said forums that there's not much discussion going on so why would I bother to post or stay here. I recently had this feeling when I tried to look up if we have boardgame enthusiasts here - the closest forum was the pen&paper forum but people posting there were 90% rpg players - which leads to a thought:

It should really be Digital & Distribution forum - D&D for short :p

2. Ned

Ned Public Forum Coordinator

I've stickied this thread and notified the Mods/Admins. I too like Thermal's post #16

2_islands likes this.
  3. 2_islands

2_islands Lead Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Thanks to Ned for reporting. I've marked the report for Admin Atteniton and requested consideration of the concepts being proposed in this thread.

The main running post for the report is that of Thermal Ions at # 16- good ideas there +1. The rest of the thread should be considered with a potential workshop via TS at a later stage if this gets legs.

Thanks for the constructive input.

4. Mixa...

Mixa... Retired Captain

Nice one Ned and 2I

5. Thermal Ions

Thermal Ions Retired Captain

I do like Redbeard's "No Discs Required" suggestion. It doesn't cover off online boxed purchases however that could be covered off in the subheading.

...and thanks to Drac, Ned, and 2_islands for raising and promoting the discussion.

6. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

I like "No Discs Required" as it keeps the focus on the content rather than it being just about a method of acquisition. Wouldn't seem out of place for people to be discussing indy games in such a forum. It also kinda works for discussing alternative content like tee-shirts or game related toys. I think, apart from a few people, most want digital access to their games so hopefully sometime in the future we won't need to worry so much about discussing which retail snail-mail stores are trumping the download services.

Perhaps I'm optimistic but I think physical retail-purchased content "out pricing" digital downloads is, in the long run, going to be an exception rather than a rule.

[STRIKE]However, if Steam and now many other digital download stores are going to continue with the regional price disparities I was thinking we might want one sub-forum (or perhaps prefix tag) for TOG members to help each other "Import" games from less expensive regions. Most of that is going to be one thread per person or per game. Generally not a "topic" of "discussion" so it might be worth thinking about ways to separate these kind of request threads, perhaps at a later date if it looks like people want to use this forum for such requests anyway.[/STRIKE]

Scratch that, The Supply Depo sub forum would be the best place to encourage digital "import" or trade requests as it's members only and would be safer with member-to-member interactions as this forum is public. Might be worth mentioning that in a sticky though, would be good to see more online trading/importing/swapping happening on these forums.

Also, mad props to SI, Ned, everyone who's posted and the rest of TOG for making this a place were every member's ideas and thoughts can contribute and help improve how the community works and interacts. :D

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  7. ThreeO

ThreeO Retired Administrator

I'll look at this tonight. If anyone is after me i'll be on TS as well

8. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

OzGameShop wouldn't fit into a lot of those though (just noting its a subforum atm) ;)

9. 2_islands

We were trying to think up the sub-forums required. Could remember that name coming up.

10. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

Wasn't expecting multiple forums. I didn't think there was enough traffic in the previous steam forum to warrant splitting off multiple sub-forums. This also kinda splits the discussion doesn't it, I mean if someone wants to know where's the cheapest place to get game X then which forum do they go to now?

Ned likes this.
  11. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

Just renaming the forum and adding prefix options as suggested earlier is best. I think most origin discussion will end up in the BF3 forum anyway since that's the only game people will use it for.

Ned likes this.
  12. Jigoku

Jigoku Retired Captain

I thought the intention of this topic was to suggest making the former "Steam Room" more generic, allowing discussion of any and all digitally distributed content, the pros and cons of such systems, indie titles not encompassed by Steam/Origin/whatever.

Ned likes this.
  13. Ned

Ned Public Forum Coordinator

Agree.

Agree.

Agree.

14. Sarge13

Sarge13 Retired Captain

Love the New forum layout thanks guys

15. Brootal

Brootal Well-Known Member

Hate the new layout, think it's totally unworkable, sorry, I agree with the others who said the intention was just a renaming (possibly with tags), while I primarily use steam and don't use any other DD service, the current format is not that useable except for disucussion about the services themselves, which is a small amount of posts at best. Most games are listed on multiple services. Broken up how it is I personally wouldn't even bother reading it.

16. 2_islands

This forum structure is still being reviewed. Please keep posting suggestions.

Will discuss the single forum with prefixes with admins.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  17. Sp!at

Sp!at Well-Known Member

Agree with Neds agreements (post 33).

18. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

While I appreciate the alacrity and seriousness our discussion was approached with I think the changes were a little early, as we were still discussing the pros/cons; but since its in effect I'll play it out and see how it goes.

19. Sarge13

Sarge13 Retired Captain

I personal will only be reading the Steam Thread as that is all I am interested in the others I have no real time for.

20. Thermal Ions

Thermal Ions Retired Captain

Yes, as per a number of posts above, and my previous comments, I believe a rename would be the best solution. The multiple subforums are just a pain and will tend to fracture and discourage discussion more than any benefit such a split may provide.

Presently, the posts that appear on the first page of this forum cover a period going back 11 days - that should tell you straight off that there's insufficient activity to warrant seperating the forum into subforums.

While it's nice that the issue has received attention from the Admins/Mods, I think the users of the forum would be better served through an initial name change with users manually prefixing their posts (if relevant) and seeing how it goes. If usage picks up considerably then sub forums and/or formal prefix options could be considered.