Today's MMO Only 3-6 monthers

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by Trimethicon, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Trimethicon

Trimethicon Well-Known Member

Per the title, for the last few years or so I've noticed a trend with new MMOs. Its not you, its me........maybe, but I know for me I've bought/tried/played a handful of MMOs over the last year and they all seem to last to about 3-6 months. The trend seems to be - pay to get into the beta, offer expensive packs to Founding Members, cash shops, etc. Grab as much cash as you can upfront to recoup costs then take it from there seems to be the mantra.

What happened to the days when I played an MMO for 1, 2, 3, 5+ years? Maybe its good that I'm not tied to my desk for thousands of hours, maybe I've changed? Anyway, in looking at the upcoming MMO landscape I see numerous MMOs that I am eager to play, but I just wonder how many of them will fall into the 3-6 month club................

Ludy and Blue_Talon like this.
  2. Lurch

Lurch Well-Known Member

Well back in those golden Everquest days, you didn't have much choice in games. It was one, maybe two games, and that was it, so if you wanted to game, you were limited to what you were playing.

Now with every man and their dog having an MMO game, people have lots of choice, so don't stick around if the game doesn't do amazing things in the first 6 months.

As most developers are mostly in this for the cash, it's far easier to "gimme da cash" now, and bedazzle players into buying, and let the game languish until it's shut down.

Rather than put out something out small and reasonable now, and grow the game over time.

3. Trimethicon

True, very true. I still love the genre, I can't touch a singleplayer game, but it is what it is.

4. Tachyon

Tachyon Well-Known Member

I still jump back into EQ (for raiding new expansions) and LOTRO (new stuff) every once an a while and I know others who jump back into WoW (not my thing). With the newer games, the content simply isn't there (yet?).

I know Guild Wars 2 is like that now for me. I absolutely *LOVE* the game and I don't have to pay a thing, but at this point I've done everything in game twice and am halfway through a third, not to mention a lot of WvW time, and I'm not a high playtime guy these days. Usually only 10-15 hours a week. Friends I know who are high playtime were in my spot back before Christmas.

Everyone says it would never work, but I'd love to see some new developer try releasing a game that actually takes a major time commitment to progress like the old titles did.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  5. Valdis

Valdis Active Member

I read this recently, really identifies something that's been missed since I played L2.

Where's the Social? - Tingle's Touchy Subjects at MMORPG.com

The thing that kept me in L2 longer than any other game was the people. A lot of things sucked about L2. What an evil game. But the people were awesome. To get to the endgame of L2, I needed friends. TOR and GW 2? Not so much. I stayed in Rift longer than I usually do because I had a solid group pushing the end-game. When it dissolved due to TOR...that was the end.

Games can have all the awesomeness in the world, but you'll still be done with it in 3 months if you don't have good friends to play it with.

Reoh likes this.
  6. Tachyon

Tachyon Well-Known Member

I played Lineage 2 for a good three years. One of my favorites!

7. Trimethicon

I know the games I've played recently have been 3-6'ers, in some cases 2 days........

SWTOR
    GW2
    Tera
    Aion
    TSW - one week
    Defiance
    Neverwinter Online

I played EQ1 for about 5 years, solidly for 3, and WoW for the same amount of time.

8. Ludy

Ludy Well-Known Member

I pretty much agree with Lurch on the reasons. I also am a 3-6 monther in games but it doesn't bother me. I look at the monetary value of games I buy. I try to get at least $1 per hour of in game time.

Now single player games hardly ever hit this mark for me. Sure some games like Skyrim blow it away but those are the exception to the rule. Take Tomb Raider for example. A great game by my accounts but it would never keep me interested for 60 hours. For single player games to get my value I need to buy the short single player games that you play for maybe 10-15 hours and move on.

So it's not just MMOs with the problem its all the industry. Developers don't have the budgets to build rich and huge games. You can have cheap, long, or rich games but it seems that you can only have 2 of these options.

9. Trimethicon

I think I'm just jaded to be honest............the quality of today's games are just as good, or better, then EQ1.

10. quickthorn

quickthorn Active Member

When I started with multiplayer games there were already a few choices around, so I never really had that feeling that everyone was playing the same game over a very long period. My first multiplayer game was GW1 and that was with all the expansions so it had already been out maybe 3 years.

Since then I've played quite a few MMOs for a while - WoW, Rift, Lotro, SW:TOR and GW2 but I don't know if I played any of them regularly past the 6 month mark. I might with GW2 but I am mostly logging in for guild events now, so it's declined a bit. I feel that I have run out of new things to do at this stage.

If I liked a game I'll often revisit a while later, and either I'll stick around for a few more months or remember all the things I got sick of last time, then go chasing the next shiny new game (most likely TESO, since I enjoyed Oblivion and Skyrim). I wonder if that happens quite often.

11. Bluesteel

Bluesteel Star Citizen: Southern Seraphs Officer

Like many people Ive been on the forever search for the next WOW. That had me for 6 to 7 years.

12. Bawheidbob

Bawheidbob Well-Known Member

This.

13. C4

C4 Retired Captain

Your search will be over, once blizzard/activision's next mmo is released :)

14. Bluesteel

Bluesteel Star Citizen: Southern Seraphs Officer

Hmm when is the announcement? 2015 I expect.

15. Daize

Daize Getting Started

The last two games that I spent years in were DAoC (unfortunately I came late to that game) followed by WoW. I have high hopes that the following may bring back that old skool goodness:
    Camelot Unchained

16. Deadzy

Deadzy Well-Known Member

Unlike WoW, Everquest 1 and 2 and all the other MMO's of that era it comes down to the current generation of players expecting a game to be released that is bug free, loads of end game content and friendly UI.
    If the game does not have these now then you just have to log into the forums to see the new gamer generation whinge and complain, then bail in the first month cause they don't have the patience to await things to be fixed or released.

I for one remember the mmo's of old been released and they were buggy to hell and lacking content, but as it was mentioned in previous posts there were not many about, so you couldn't be too picky. Therefore the companies held onto there player's and gold mines while they had time to polish. Hence there success.

For a company to be successful these days I think they need to go the extra mile and have a completed, tested game with end content. Personally I don't care if its a so called WoW clone as this gen likes to label the games that are similar, as long as it works and is fun.

Heck I would pay to play WoW2/Everquest 3, meaning same graphics, setup etc etc. But a new release story line and area's and monsters. Obviously new mechanisms would be great. I think in Everquest 2 you can now design dungeons for the game and play them?? I think that's a great idea, player made content.

I think another flaw with MMO's is the alpha/beta stage. They seem to allow a lot of people in, and these people play it, bag it and tag it cause they don't realise what the idea of a beta is, its not a demo for the game, its helping to fix and polish.

So far the only game that has impressed me of late is Path of Exile. They are only in the Beta stage, but it is in better condition than any MMO official release I have played in years. Its nice to see a VERY small company out shing the big fella's ie Blizzard with its Diablo 3 fail release.

Holy I have dribbed on... Rant over :p

Cheers

Deadzy

17. C4

C4 Retired Captain

Announcement regarding codename Titan (Blizzard next MMO) the next Blizzcon. Remember reading around 150 staff working on the project atm.

18. Markan

Markan Retired Administrator

Don't rule out the fact that it may not just be the games but the players (at least in this test audience) that have changed. It strikes me that it is often your first MMO that you invest the time in. As you get more experienced as a player you tend to play the next game at a faster pace and eat through the content faster.

Just a thought :)

19. Dolnor

Dolnor Bane of Crickets

I don't have the time to race through content. I am about 50% world complete in GW2 on my one character I play, I haven't gotten through Egypt in TSW, my top character (1 of 3) in LOTRO is only level 66, etc.

Besides, I like testing more than playing. -)

TQQdles™

20. Zalzany

Zalzany Active Member

Don't think so, WoW 2 won't be the next WoW, its only being created because they are running out of things to put in WoW. Besides WoW has watered down their games so much for the literal elementary crowd I don't really expect anything as good from blizz as WoW use to be.

I got cousins with kids in grade school/ jr high, and as one 13 year old stated, "World of Warcraft, that is for 6th graders, I'm a 7th grader." Only thing that hooks them more then WoW in the younger ages is Minecraft.

Personally to me its the player community that keeps me in these days, if I feel like an outsider, or surrounded by emo kids I find the game leaving a sour taste in my mouth even if I really like the gameplay. That is why I joined TOG's WoT division over a year ago, I liked the game but was tired of trying to find groups that didn't let kids in who inevitable cause drama. Just wish there was more NA TOGers

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013