TOG and others Users Desktops ???

Discussion in 'The Barracks' started by Firthy, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Derelict

Derelict Retired Administrator

I have to agree with Mess here Snake.

XP has to be the best Windows OS I've used in a long long while.

Granted, its got a combination of NT to 9.x in it, but there's nothing wrong with having anything like that. XP SP1 and 2K SP3 brings both OSs up to around the same levels of stability and security.

The other bonus for XP is that hardware manufacturers bring out drivers for XP more than they bring out drivers for NT or 2K.

2. Warbear.Prime

Warbear.Prime Well-Known Member

Snake: XP is actually more stable, as it is built on the 2k core! With a lot of things thrown in. I have had 2 BSODs since it came out, and they were my fault for not being careful with video drivers.

Most crashes in XP come from a few different reasons. Usually it is the software that is running having a conflict with a driver of some sort. Or hardware doing the same. Most of those drivers are 3rd party, so even they aren't XP.

I would seriously look at it. I hear what you say about 2K, I used it before XP came out, all the time. But I haven't gone back. XP for me results in faster gaming, faster OS running speeds, and a nicer feel. Takes more grunt, but I have that.

If you have crashes in other applications, I will provide you with a memory testing program, it could be faulty.

3. Hugo a gogo

Hugo a gogo Well-Known Member

Can you give me the link to that as well please

I'm running 2 x sticks of 256 pc3200 ddr ram and I'm sure one of them is having issues.

And I'm still running win2k

4. Arienne

Arienne The Woman in Red Staff Member Administrator Moderator

That is exactly the problem I had when I had a RAM stick break on me. The machine would sporadically reboot and apps would shut down all by themselves.

So I suspect Snake that you have a busted RAM stick.

5. Bennett

Bennett Active Member

Hmm, I wonder if that's my problem. My PC loves to spontaneously reboot. Also loves to reboot when I actually shutdown. :?

This was all under W2K so decided to upgrade to XP. No spontaneous reboots yet (only had it on for one day) but still reboots on shutdown. :? :roll:

6. SnakeTails

SnakeTails Well-Known Member

The XP system is all service packed up, Switching users is also a problem, leave whatever programs running, switch users and the thing reboots on you, kludging all the work you thought you left behind.

I wouldn't mind checking the RAM with that proggy, I know I'm not allowed to open the case.

Hey, anyone know how to get XP to log into Network drives on boot up like Win2K used to do?

User Password <entered>

Unable to log into network drives <F'N stupid heap of shit>...

Log network drives manually entering in password as I go... exec programs that the F'n system should have on bootup.

7. Derelict

That network drive issue you have might have to do with XP's simple to advanced file sharing options. By default the simple file and folder sharings and securities are on. Set it to advanced and you'll have the functionality of Windows 2000 file and folder shares and securities.

If XP is sharing files to the network, then make sure you've got a username and passowrd appropriate for the share, alternatively make the share accessible to the Everyone Group.

With switching users, don't use it in my opinion. It's safer to take the extra minute to log the existing user off before logging into another profile. With user switching you end up with lost resources unnecessarily as the previous profile's programs are still "open" and ready for use.

RAM might be a problem, CPU temperature might also be a problem. Stick in your monitoring software and see if it's running hot.

8. manic35

manic35 Getting Started

Well some pretty impressive desktops, particularly SS's! You could spend the entire night just looking at it, no need for gaming :wink:

I wasn't going to put my desktop on the site as it is bloody boring by comparison as I'm a fanatical minimalist. :twisted: I can't stand to have anything on my desktop, everything in its place and a place for everything.

My desktop image is the only contradiction, should be blank I know but you got to live a little. Changes from month to month, this month it’s the Earth, last month it was the Matrix Reloaded.

The real character in my desktop is my sound files, currently I have the Matrix Reloaded sound files running on my system.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/manic35/desktop image.htm

Cheers

9. Janus

Janus Hope is Alive

I'll upload my desktop when I get home tonight.

However, I've never had any problems with XP's user switching - my wife and I use it all the time, considering I leave the PC on pretty much whenever we're at home.

The ADSL connection stays on, programs keep running, no problems. :)

10. Tri

Tri Well-Known Member

Here 'tis
    http://members.optusnet.com.au/~tonygarden/mypic15.jpg

As you can see, I'm too lazy to be bothered to have a nice, uncluttered desktop like everybody else. I just shift it all around the screen now and then. :lol:

When I get bored I move the files I don't need, but mysteriously......new ones appear and proceed to march across the screen, obscuring all in their path :oops:

11. manic35

manic35 Getting Started

Tri, I just counted your onscreen icons, (sorry I just hard to do it) and you have approximately 90 icons on your screen!!!! 8O 8O

I'm twitching just thinking about it!

Cheers

12. Father

Father The Boss Staff Member Administrator Moderator

http://www.theoldergamers.com/Assets/Misc_Gfx/desktop-1.jpg

Took this shot when I did the Milford Track walk in New Zealand.
    The ripple effect came out amazingly well if I say so myself 8)

This is my main desktop I would say, I run the XP powertoys so I have 4 desktops with different backgrounds on each, if I flip the switch on my monitor to my linux machine I have another 5 desktops there.

Linux is so much nicer for a desktop as it so customisable.

13. Janus

Janus Hope is Alive

Holy... Tri.. just how big is that "Unused Desktop Icons" folder? :mrgreen:

Here's mine:

http://www.users.on.net/kevinl/Desktop.JPG

I like mine to be fairly minimalist. Only a few icons that I use often (and the Outlook one that I haven't been bothered getting rid of.) The wallpaper changes now and again, and I'm currently cycling through my collection of military aircraft pics. The current one is of a Japanese-spec F-15J Eagle taking off from an Alaskan airbase during a joint exercise.

14. Bennett

Bennett Active Member

LOL@Tri ... believe it or not I've seen worse. :D

Love that waterfall Father and don't mind that F15 too much either Janus. Great pic's all round. :D

Anyhoo, here's my little corner of the earth: Bennett's Desktop

15. Derelict

:cry:
    You didn't mention my Starscream pic Bennett!
    :cry:

Anyhoo - I bet your desktop is a picture of your retirement property... am I right?

Anyway, bugger that, obviously no one likes my desktop.... so I'll change it.
    Derelict's new and improved desktop

16. Bennett

Bennett Active Member

LOL@Derelict. Actually I didn't mind your previous desktop ... it's just that I'd forgotten about it as it was 2 pages back. Besides, it probably would've re-ignited our discussion re Optimus Prime. :D

Btw, I think your new desktop is a definite improvement. :D

Indeed you are correct. My little piece of heaven is our retirement property. The hill you can see is actually looking north and is part of Tamborine State Forest. If you were to look east you'd be looking at our hill (not shown in photo). :D

17. Arienne

Too many wheels...

:twisted:

I heard that apparently on the track in Monza that the GP bikes have now equalled the times and fastest speed down the straight set by F1.

18. Derelict

Cailith.... you go sit in your little bike bit. We're here to show off our desktops and I don't think you've decided to grace us with yours yet have you?

Embarrased with your desktop are we? :?

19. Janus

Janus Hope is Alive

:D:D

Let's keep the bikes vs cars thing out of the "Show us your desktops!" thread, shall we? ;)

20. Arienne