Total War: Warhammer

Discussion in 'RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others' started by Tzeentch, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Tzeentch

Tzeentch Retired Captain

Well it has been announced and I am excited to see this happen :)

Yes, warhammer is going to be in the line-up of the Total War series!

The factions

More can be read here

2. astrospud

astrospud Sandpit Raker for Toy Box Captain

I love where CA is going with the franchise. Something different is needed to shake things up, but gauging the responses on social media and Steam groups, it's spilt the fan base quite considerably. And the Kingdoms FTP game isn't helping their cause.

I don't mind buying DLC if it means you can choose what factions you want to concentrate on. As in Rome 2, I'm not sure I will ever play the Celtic tribes, so I probably won't buy the DLC for that. The same can be said for the yet to be confirmed DLC factions in TW:W.

I haven't played Attila yet, so the idea of nomadic settlements is a bit new to me and the idea of Orks adopting this trait is truly terrifying!

3. Purg

Purg Well-Known Member

Would be the first Total War game in the franchise that I'll wait for reviews which would have to be stellar for me to buy. Fantasy strat games don't particularly interest me but I'd stop short of saying that it's a bad move by CA just because I don't favour the genre.

4. Destraex

Destraex Getting Started

Every time i play a total war game I always want a more personal story like the one in the videos and never get it. Perhaps this will give the scope for that story like adventure of a soldier, a general.
    Lots of flying creatures and wizards plus animal types like boar tiders shown to ensure we know what will be different.

the official blurb:

New game announced - Total War: WARHAMMER Hi all, Total War: WARHAMMER is official! Taking the series to a realm of brutal, high fantasy for the first time in its history, our rules have changed and with change comes war on a scale as yet unimagined. The limitlessly deep and rich universe of Warhammer heralds a new era for Total War. Gigantic monsters, flying creatures, legendary heroes and storms of magical power take their place on the battlefield, alongside thousands of warriors clashing in real-time tactical battles. In the turn-based campaign game, players will find the Old World an unforgiving and treacherous place, filled with endless war and cunning alliances alike. Whichever race you choose to play as and however you seek conquest, you will be faced with a conflict that threatens to tear the very fabric of reality asunder. The first in an epic trilogy of titles, Total War: WARHAMMER will deliver hundreds of hours of absorbing gameplay. It will combine with two further standalone instalments and additional content packs to create the single largest Total War experience ever.“We’ve always loved the Warhammer universe, and couldn’t wait to approach it with the same colossal scale and authenticity that has characterised our titles for the last 15 years,” said Total War: WARHAMMER Project Lead, Ian Roxburgh. “We’re bringing it to life in a way that nobody’s attempted before.”Watch the announcement trailer, voiced by celebrated actor Steven Berkoff, http://youtu.be/7i4d3ignBNQ for just a taste of this forthcoming match made in gaming heaven.

from CA:

As this isn’t just a CA game, regretfully there are no plans to support modding for Total War: Warhammer. An Assembly Kit is will be available very shortly for Total War: ATTILA however, and we will continue to support modding for that title and plan to for future historical Total Wars. -Will CA

there are only four races. Orcs, empire, vampire and dwarf. No skaven, elves, chaos I imagine until the other two in the game trilogy are released.
    there will be no modding support I imagine due to CA.

CA just personally responded to my question:
    "Future instalments of the trilogy will expand the world-map, bringing unique new terrain and introducing new playable Lords and their races. We’re planning these to be massive standalone follow-ups to the main game (like ATTILA to ROME II). You’ll be able to get just these and play them on their own if you like or, if you have the main game too, you’ll eventually be able to play across an expanded campaign map that includes all available areas of the Old World."

More CA
    Well, Total War was built on a tradition of historical eras, and we’ll continue to do exactly that. Total War: Warhammer is being developed in parallel with our historical titles by a dedicated team

5. astrospud

Nice write up Destraex. You might find a more personal game experience with Attila, given that family trees replace the political intrigue of Rome 2. I've only had a couple of hours in Attila and I'm still trying to get my head around family dynamics.

In the warhammer lore, the High elves and the Dark elves are the more natural sea faring races, so I expect to see large naval engagements when CA decide to release them. I've always like the naval battles in previous TW titles and seeing Elves slug it out would be epic.

6. Wrylion

Wrylion Getting Started

My day has just been made. Thank you :)

7. Tzeentch

Tzeentch Retired Captain

Well I have been reading that Chaos may not be part of the four races on the games release, is sad indeed. The discussion on the actual CA forums also has many disheartened, so may be a DLC further down the line.

Oh here is there FaceBook page if you are into that type of thing.

8. astrospud

I'm happy to pay for DLC, but I understand that others not so much. I think gamers have need to understand that the future for paid DLC is here to stay as a business model, and no amount of of paid DLC memes on social media is going to change this. FWIW, Chaos won't be my go-to and a playable faction, much the same as the Huns aren't for the Attila title.

9. Tzeentch

Tzeentch Retired Captain

While I agree the thing that gets me the most is the trailer was made with chaos in it. So if it is only going to be for a DLC then the trailer should have been made with the appropriate races.

10. Tzeentch

Tzeentch Retired Captain

Available: 28 April, 2016
    This game will unlock in approximately 6 months, 2 weeks, 3 days and 7 hours
    Pre-Purchase Offer
    Pre-Purchase Total War: WARHAMMER now and get the Chaos Warriors Race Pack for free

Steam Page

11. astrospud

I think I'll save my coin for the limited Collectors Edition.
    At £100, I don't think many will be sold in the 5 month lead up to release.

12. Tzeentch

Tzeentch Retired Captain

I tend to agree.

13. _Riven

_Riven Getting Started

As a Warhammer Fantasy TT player (pre-end of the world Sigmar thing) I was very excited when I heard about a new Warhammer game so much so that I purchased the Humble Bundle pack of all TW games last year, cost like $20 for all the TW games.
    Playing them, reading the blogs and watching the CA videos I ended up purchasing the High King collectors edition. I put pictures up in the CA forum if anyone wants to check them out.

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/173864/high-king-edition-thoughts#latest

The game itself is great, very solid representation of the Warhammer Fantasy TT game.

I am no pro at TW games as I get caught out in the campaign with armies in the wrong area or bringing a super sharp knife to a gun fight... but a very enjoyable game.

And they sold out of the High King edition pre-launch.

chillaaa likes this.
  14. astrospud

Nice review, _Riven.
    Prior to launch, I was costing the delivery of the HK edition to Australia and the total bill for me would've been around the $500 dollar mark. Not worth it, IMHO.

15. Finnwe

Finnwe Well-Known Member

astrospud likes this.
  16. Purg

Purg Well-Known Member

The fantasy stuff doesn't really interest me. Hearing all over the place 'Best Totalwar Ever!!'tm.

I will get it, but for the first time I'll take advantage of a sale. Right now I'm probably too wrapped up in VR to pay full price for it at the moment, anyway.

Unless they patch VR in, and you can peer over the battlefield in your HMD. Then I'd buy it instantly.

17. Tzeentch

Tzeentch Retired Captain

I tend to agree on the sale P.O.V as the price is very steep mainly due to the GW tag - it's not worth the amount they have on it!

18. astrospud

I beg to differ, given the number of AAA titles on offer for $30 more than what TW:W is on asking for.

If it's not your thing, that's ok, but don't knock it until you've tried it. It's very enjoyable with long playability (unless you binge, then it's your fault) and with the promise of 2 more titles in the series, it will have a huge following.

Don't take the professional reviewers advice. Take it from me, with 30 hours under my belt so far and many, many more to come. It is very much worth the price.

19. Tzeentch

Tzeentch Retired Captain

I am not knocking the game Spud..... I am saying that if you can't afford the price of the game wait until it is on sale as it will be better value to those who can afford it then, maybe think of that before you knock a Point of view mate ;)

20. astrospud

This is clearly a statement implying a lack of value, therefore you are knocking it to a degree.

Actually I'm more annoyed at Purgs comment that comes across as a broken record - "I'm not interested in the thread topic, but I do have VR. Did I mention I have VR?"

It's the same in the DCS division.
    "I'm not interest in Module X, so I won't be buying it, but I have VR. Did I mention I have VR?"

I don't care for the spray that this post will incite, but I have to vent, as these forums are people with a common interest. If you don't want to positively contribute to the conversation, then please find a thread that you do. :mad: