UT3 retail can now be added to Steam.

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by Rog69, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Rog69

Rog69 Well-Known Member

If you already have the retail version of UT3 you can avoid having to download it again when you add it to your Steam account, this will save you downloading about 8.5GB of data.

1. Install UT3 from your retail disc if you don't already have it installed.
    2. Make a copy of your UT3 install folder somewhere else on your hard drive.
    3. Un-install UT3 via the windows control panel.
    4. In the main Steam window click on the "Activate a product on Steam" button and enter your UT3 serial number
    5. UT3 will now start downloading from Steam, allow the download progress to get past 2% and then pause it.
    6. Copy the UT3 files that you made in step 2 to \Valve\Steam\SteamApps\common allowing it to write over the files that are already there.
    7. Right click on UT3 in your Steam games list and select properties and then click on "verify integrity of game cache" and wait for the process to finish.
    8. In windows explorer right click on the Unreal Tournament 3 folder in \Valve\Steam\SteamApps\common and uncheck "read only" in the attributes section and apply it to all files and sub folders when prompted.

You should now be able to launch UT3 via Steam, it will go through the Direct X and C++ install procedure the first time you run.

My apologies for anyone who might have tried the last procedure I posted here that I got from the Steam forums, if you run step 8 it should fix things for you.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
    Ned likes this.
  2. Bikkies

Bikkies Well-Known Member

I have added the game to steam and its now fully updated but, game is now unavailable and i cannot launch it at all, says try again later :(

Not fun.

3. Ned

Ned Public Forum Coordinator

4. Bikkies

Installed the
    c++ redstributables
    updated directx
    gave everyone full control over files in thet untral tournament 3 folder.
    deleted all but steam.exe and steamapps folder let steam redownload.
    firewall off
    antivirus off
    verified cache files numerours times.

Cannot add UT3.exe to dep excetions though

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I notice UT3 in the steam games list occasionaly going to updating then back to 100%

Post here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9017933#post9017933

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  5. Rog69

Rog69 Well-Known Member

I had the same problem at first after following some shakey instructions I found on the Steam forums, but un-installing my original retail copy and then turning off read only for the UT3 folder and running an integrity check through Steam fixed it for me (Running XP pro here).

6. Bikkies

I have not reinstalled UT3 since my format a month ago, i had the files on my d:\ and just copied as the instructions said, seems like another user on steam forums also shared my problem at time of writing this.

7. Rog69

Rog69 Well-Known Member

The only thing I can think to suggest is doing a fresh install from your retail disk, patch it up and try again from scratch, might be worth a try.

8. Bikkies

Yup just did that, i can't say i have seen the title screen yet, game is still unavailable.

If anyone has 9gb to spare just download it after entering your cd key. I have tried everything available from the steam faqs and i do not know what i am doing wrong ???

9. Ned

10. Rog69

Rog69 Well-Known Member

It is a bit strange, mine was already set to read only, I changed it to not read only and then UT3 ran fine. When I checked back after running it for the first time Steam seems to have set the UT3 folder back to read only again, but it's still working fine.

11. Bikkies

Finally got it to work

Verified game cache with read only turned on, then turned off read only, launched game via Steam and it started updating Directx, C++ Redist, Open AL and Physx.

Got into game and was able to play, Yay!

Rog69 likes this.
  12. Ned

happy times ahead!

now let's all wait for this mega update :)

13. Rog69

Rog69 Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you got it working :)

14. plebc

plebc Well-Known Member

had same problem as bikkies. turned off read only for ut3 folder and then game worked. have even been playing it again in expectation of the update.

15. Hansuke

Hansuke Active Member

I noticed where everyone was having probs, so since I had removed UT3 off my computer recently, I just let Steam download it and put it on. It worked first time like a charm. I'll let y'all know if any subsequent problems arise. :)

16. Hansuke

Hansuke Active Member

I looked down the Steam list and couldn't find any TOG group for UT, so I created one at:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tog-ut

I know that most UT'rs have since moved on to greener pastures, and our division has all but shut down. This is my attempt at putting together a rag-tag group of the few survivors, so that someone can still carry our banner into the field.

The z21aq steamfriend is just my placekeeper. So you can ignore him. I put the group into public mode, and everyone that joins this week gets full admin rights so we can administer the group, if any show up, together as friends.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  17. Rog69

Rog69 Well-Known Member

Well I've shown up and it doesn't get any more rag tag than me :). There are still a few of us ex UT div members around and hopefully the Steam integration and upcoming patch and expansion will attract a few people back to the game. Thanks for setting this up :)

18. Arkon

Arkon Retired Captain

Might have to get my install sorted me thinks ;)

19. Monty

Monty Phoenix Staff Member Moderator

Me too. Got Special Edition version for Christmas and I was hoping to find a TOG server to play on. :D

20. Hansuke

Hansuke Active Member

I'm not sure if this will help you or not, Monty:
    TOG Spiders From Mars [ut3] Unreal Tournament 3

It's the TOG UT3 server I just set up today, but its in Arizona. That's the best price I could find, after Gameservers went back up on their fees.

BTW, can anyone help me with the setup so I can have some bots on the server? I don't have any real experience with UT3 startups/configs and its been a pain so far.