Waiting for Star citizen this will hold you over

Discussion in 'Star Citizen (Public)' started by Dragonhammer, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Dragonhammer

Dragonhammer Well-Known Member

In November X-rebirth will be Released a true PC game and a space sim on top of that.
    It does all the things star Citizen hopes to do and even more except it's single player.
    And on the looks departement it gives Star citizen a run for its money because it looks damn gorgeous.

2. Ludy

Ludy Well-Known Member

I've played all the X games and have to say they are similar but not the same. The X series has been far more about industry and capitol ship combat. Not as much about the smaller sized ships. While that is where you start you don't stay in them long.

I have loved the X series and don't want to discourage folks from getting it. I highly recommend the game. I have spent hundreds of hours in the series and will likely disengage from all other games when it comes out for a month. One thing I will say is the game is so deep and expansive that the tutorials normally only scratch the surface. You will spend the first 20 or so hours in game just learning everything. Then when you think you got it you will find some whole new part of the game that you want to try.

Oh the mod community is pretty active in the game and makes some nice convenience things. Last time I played setting up space stations was a pain in the arse. Laying everything out to look nice and be functional was nearly impossible for me until I found a mod that helped.

3. Cromulent

Cromulent Active Member

This looks really cool - I'll have to check it out.

I've never played an X game before. The trailer seems to indicate that you just fly a single pre-defined ship, the Pride of Albion (and its drones), rather than choosing from a bunch of them, like Star Citizen. Is this correct?

4. Ludy

Ludy Well-Known Member

In other X games you have a few staring stories. One is normally a combat type start. I normally star off as a trader and build an empire prior to joining in on the combat story. Not sure if this will be same or not. They normally are full open world with a war going on. Sometime they give you option to play either side of war other times you can not play 1 side.

Oh and there are multiple races and ships along with pirates. Some ships you can buy others you need to disable and board to get. In last one I played you could be a pirate but it was far easier to have good faction with most races.

5. Foxman

Foxman in the hen house Staff Member Moderator

Have been a fan of the X series for a loooong time now, really keen to sink my teeth into this one. I always loved the fleet and capital combat in X.

I would typically start out with a medium sized freighter, gradually building up a trade and production network before expanding into military vessels, ostensibly for security of my own assets but also to conduct pirate or 'semi-legitimate' operations in rival territory.
    After building up a primary fleet centred around my own capital ship I had a few smaller fleets on sector patrol and would then go out hunting for alien incursions etc, calling on support fleets as needed.

I never tired of watching a support fleet warp in and begin disgorging fighters and bombers to help defend my ship and turn back the enemy. Loads of fun :D

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  6. Wenceslaus

Wenceslaus Sauce -= SILVER Patreon =-

Real shame guys that I know that one of you want to concentrate on exploration and another is chaos neutral dam good writer...

We need someone who would coordinate the " start off as a trader and build an empire" type of approach.;)

7. MarcT

MarcT Active Member

I'll try. I got 3 trade/mercantile ships. Connie, Freelancer, and Starfarer. I'm hoping to be able to change the Starfarer to a freighter, with some mining on the side.

8. Foxman

Foxman in the hen house Staff Member Moderator

I used to get into the management/coordination side of MMOs in a big way but in more recent years have focussed on smaller stuff so while I'm happy to happy to help and I'm planning to coordinate RP efforts, I'll leave the large scale organisation to those more interested in it :D

9. Jon C

Jon C Star Citizen: Raptor Sq. Leader

I'll probably be trading to while doing also following more surreptitious pursuits. Some goods... some info... :cool:

10. C4

C4 Retired Captain

looks like a nice distraction before sc comes out :)

11. Tyrian Prime

Tyrian Prime Active Member

Super +1!
    Didn't know they released finally a release date....finally!:) Some pumping trade inside hostile unknown space awaiting the SC dogfighting fix!

But needless to say, having played all X Series....Man, this looks the most awesome of them all. And the graphic fidelity, and scale is at last a modern graphics game.

Just enough with cartoonish graphics we are fed so much this last decade...X rebirth is a new oasis.

12. Warshadow

Warshadow Getting Started

I must admit that when it comes to the X games I am definitely a tourist. I own them all but have never really gotten far as I usually have 3 MMOs on the go at any given time. I will likely drop off the face of the earth when this one comes out though.

13. Corpeces

Corpeces Well-Known Member

Ok, post got me interested enough to download Terra Conflict on Steam. You can blame Ludy if I like it cause he made it sound good :)

14. Koreeth

Koreeth Active Member

I just began playing Terran conflict.

So far I am just trading to make some money. Which for me means ( mostly ) using the mouse and keyboard. I will begin using the joystick once I begin some fighting.

15. Bloodwrych

Bloodwrych Retired Moderator

Currently playing an Indie game called Horizon.

It is very reminiscent of the old Master of Orion series of games...even has a Moo easter egg in the intro video.

16. Koreeth

Koreeth Active Member

I have spent so many hours playing 4X games.

Just keep telling myself...I do not need another game, I do not need another game...

17. Tyrian Prime

Tyrian Prime Active Member

I play some Dota2 now, although i will play the new X at november for certain.
    Euro truck simulator 2 is fun too.

18. MarcT

MarcT Active Member

I'm playing Payday 2. So much fun.

19. Darkwolf

Darkwolf Well-Known Member

I got the pre-order for X Rebirth last night. Can't believe it's actually going to come out, I was totally calling it 'X: Stillbirth' to my friends :D

Should be a lot of fun. I quite enjoyed X3TC, but I never got into AP. Currently I'm playing EVE Online (again!), Guild Wars 2 (with my missus), DOTA2 (I'm such a newb), Last of Us (when I have the time), and Kerbal Space Program.