War Thunder

Discussion in 'Simulation' started by D3lthar, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Mach 5

Mach 5 Retired Captain

not sure if that is so much the proper MM chart, or just how many players in each pair of tiers is in the queue. i reckon things will still be fairly flexible for a little while. perhaps no more tier 6 facing off against jets, at least.

also of note in that video is the fact that someone who has a lovely Thrustmaster HOTAS and obviously some experience with the joystick control scheme STILL could not manage to hit a slow moving ground target with any predictability, or in fact stay in the air at all. i know sticks are reportedly easier to use in 1.29, but a G13/G600 will likely be my preferred control method until it is of no overwhelming advantage (personally). i will, however, keep at it with my venerable Saitek Cyborg in some test flights. :)

2. r8response

r8response Well-Known Member

1.29 is live.

3.4gb patch

3. D3lthar

D3lthar Retired Captain

Awesome downloading now.

4. D3lthar

D3lthar Retired Captain

War Thunder 1.29 Patch Notes

New Login, Hangar, and Loading windows

Players may see new interface elements right as the game starts - starting with a new login window with an animated background.
    The main window of the hangar was also changed as well, as was the “To Battle!” button. Now you enter the fight with just one click on the “To Battle!” button. If you need some parameters to be changed, just hover your cursor over it.

Also you may now choose an aircraft for HB/FRB before entering the battle.

Damage Model

War Thunder’s damage model (DM) was significantly improved in Update 1.29. We’ve added circa 10 new parts and specified and tuned all existing parts for all planes. Along with introducing the correct ammo types for all types of weapons, these changes make the air fight fiercer and much more interesting. And more historical, of course.
    Damage from bombs, rockets and torpedoes was also tuned according to the performance of their real counterparts.

Ammo belts options

Update 1.29 brings a new feature; customizing fighters’ ammo belts. Separately, for cannons and machine guns, you may now choose from several types of ammunition: universal, for air targets, for ground targets, and for stealth attacks (without tracers).

New Aircraft

Four nations get new bombers in their development trees:

Japan gets 2 new top-tier bombers - Nakajima G5N and Nakajima G8N. The first one is the biggest plane in War Thunder, and takes up to 4 bombs of 1 ton each. It’s elder sister, the G8N, takes only 3 tons of explosive cargo, but has three turret cannons to protect the delivery.

United States gets several modifications of the legendary B-25. This famous bomber blends into the US tech tree right between A-20 and B-17, having 6 machine guns and up to 1.5 tons of bombs.

Germany is granted the multi-role Do.217 in several modifications; from Do.217E-2 with up to 2 tons of bombs to night interceptor Do.217N-1 armed with four MG 151 cannons.

Soviet line of Tupolev Tu-2 bombers now include several late modifications of Tu-2 with heavier armor.

Great Britain is not disregarded at all with brand new top tier Meteor Mk. 8 jet fighter, capable of bearing both bombs and rockets.

New Economy

This I have been unable to find as their current link is broken.

Interface

New option available in Settings to display the fuel amount
    Now you can see any player’s profile
    Checkboxes in the Research window to turn on/off the repair costs in different game modes
    Now you receive one award message both for Lions and experience points
    Default nonlinearity is changed to ‘1’
    Fixed: wrong message when feathering the propeller
    Fixed displaying of the axis nonlinearity in the interface
    FRB mode: huge pop-up notifications of experience gains are hidden now. Small notifications at the bottom of the screen remain.
    ‘Markers on/off’ option for replays
    You may see your squadron member’s exact plane selected before entering fight
    Achievement descriptions are added into the Event Log
    Achievements progress bars are added
    All achievements now have the correct terms of gaining
    Achievements now shown in the Logbook
    Gaming interface now available in bomb-follow camera
    New layout and images for Medals in profile.
    Multi-staged challenges now shown correctly in the debriefing window
    Notification ‘No flaps’ is added when pressing flaps button for the planes with no flaps

Graphics

Animation of the radiator added for some planes. The number of planes with animated radiators will be increased in upcoming updates.
    Better animation for air brakes.
    Propeller bending added for some planes. The number of planes with bendable propellers will be increased in upcoming updates.
    Improved effects of shells hitting ground units and the ground
    Added ricochets from the ground
    Shadows for pilots and infantry added
    More realistic camera effects when shooting
    Fixed artifacts in reflections
    Improved distant land drawing in cloudy weather
    Fixed pilots’ lightning
    Fixed wrong collision effects when hitting into airstat
    New airfields for many missions
    Fixed visual models for Me.262, Ju.88, Me.410, A5M, A6M3, and P-26,
    Fixed the visual of the British torpedo

Sound

Improved explosion sounds
    Improved engine shutdown sound
    Improved sound of hitting the player’s aircraft.
    Added sounds for flaps and air brakes
    Added sound of propeller windmilling
    Improved sounds of cannons and machine guns

Gameplay

Realistic bomb dropping. Some aircraft now may have a limited angle for bomb dropping.
    Adjustable aerobatics smokes
    New flight models for La-5, La-7, Wirraway, Tempest, TBF-1c, SM.79, Me.410, Ki-49, Ju-87B, Ju-87D, Ju-87G, F1M2, D3A1, Boomerang, Beaufighter, Me.262 and Me.163
    Separate engines control buttons added
    New award model for airfield destruction: now you get award not only for destruction, but also for damaging
    Bug fixed: kills not counting, when shot down plane been repaired.
    Improved turret gunners efficiency in HB and FRB.
    Bug fixed: in some situations camera still follows the target even after target is down.
    Minimal amount of fuel changed: 20 min and not less than 30% of the fuel tank
    Squadron leader can’t start the fight when someone from his squadron has unrepaired aircraft of the selected nation
    Bots became smarter: now they takeoff and land properly
    New player can’t enter HB or FRB flights before he completes takeoff/landing tutorials
    Bug fixed: no penalty for friendly bot kill
    Bombs added for P-26
    The order of getting pylons is changed for some planes
    Awards for logins

Misc

GameTrix tracker is supported automatically now
    Reduced client size
    Significantly reduced time of the initial loading (from log-in screen to the hangar)
    Bug fixed: in some missions of the historic campaigns the plane was not changing after scenario cutscene
    Bugs fixed in tutorial in full aircraft control mode
    Bug fixed: discounts are not showing for the group of planes
    Bug fixed: Typhoon could get up to 700 km/h in tree-top flight using propeller pitch
    Cargo ships have lost their 127mm cannons which were given by mistake

5. Zhul

Zhul Retired Captain

For those that want the DK version:

6. r8response

vvWhat i see when trying to select a server (EU/RU)

[​IMG]

Click to see a larger version!

7. D3lthar

D3lthar Retired Captain

I would send in a bug report as I don't have that problem and I am able to select servers.

8. D3lthar

D3lthar Retired Captain

The following is from - War Thunder 1.29 Ammo types

With Patch 1.29 we get new types of ammo to unlock per plane, so I did a bit of experimenting with the new types of ammo, difficult to say conclusively at this stage but my initial thoughts are:

Some Definitions (tell me if I am wrong):

HE - High Explosive.
    AP - Armour Piercing.
    APIT - Armour Piercing Incendiary Tracer.
    IT - Incendiary Tracer.
    AP-I - Armour Piercing Incendiary.
    HEI - High Explosive Incendiary.
    T - Tracer.
    SAPI - Standard? Armour Piercing Incendiary?

Each aircraft has different combos so use the key to guess the ability, so far I think:

Standard ammo - as per the old patch.

Omni purpose ammo T-AP-AP-HEI - Slightly (I think) stronger than standard ammo, good for aircraft, AA, artillery and Armoured cars. An all round ammo for a bit of everything. Although it has 2 x AP in the range I think this just damages small armoured vehicles, ive had no luck with tanks or ships.

Ammo for air targets (APTI & HE) - I cant tell the difference between Omni and this tbh. It seemed to work fine on ground targets as per Omni, I need to do a bit more testing to be conclusive.

Ammo with T Bullets - Again, cant really tell much of a difference between this and standard, maybe its easier to see, but I cant tell really. I have had some success against Bombers and Japanese (they set on fire easier - although fire doesn't seem to kill now - a bug?).

Ammo with tracer (any combo) - As above.

Stealth ammo - Omni purpose but with a couple of variants that make em more powerful and you cant see it!! This is both good and bad, good in that they have no idea where you are firing from, bad in that you cant walk the rounds onto them.

To summarise:

Tracer (all have some of this less stealth), so use it to spot your rounds and set on flames,
    HE for light skinned aircraft (all less the Soviets and US I think, they seem to be tough) and light vehicles/AA/Artillery. AP for armoured vehicles and USSR/US (although not sure about this).

Look at the combos and work it out and change ammo accordingly eg:

I recently played the 2 towns map and to start I always go for the close ground targets so I loaded up the ground targets ammo and I killed 10 (arty and AA), I managed to survive and went back to base, landed hit J then put in Omni ammo and got 3 air kills before I died. That alone racked me up 1500 points with my Boomerang. Then played as normal.

Seemed to work for me and now back to getting 2000 per game and being generally in the top 3 players on my team.

9. Hybrjd

Hybrjd Getting Started

Add me to the list.

IGN: Hybrjd

10. Mario9

Mario9 Active Member

I = Incendiary
    T = Tracer
    IT = Incendiary Tracer
    AP = Armour Piercing
    HE = High Explosive
    API = Armour Piercing Incendiary
    APT = Armour Piercing Tracer
    HEI = High Explosive Incendiary
    HET = High Explosive Tracer
    APIT = Armour Piercing Incendiary Tracer
    APRC = Armor Piercing Reduced Caliber
    APCR = Armor Piercing Composite Rigid
    HEIT = High Explosive Incendiary Tracer
    SAPI = Semi Armour Piercing Incendiary
    APIHC = Armour Piercing Incendiary Hollow Core

11. Mario9

Mario9 Active Member

Im not happy with the new damage profile on FMs .... too easy to get shot once and be out of the battle. I recon there will be another patch soon to balance things more.

That or WoT will get dusted off ....

12. Mach 5

Mach 5 Retired Captain

1.29 has certainly raised some balance issues in almost every aspect of the game. arcade mode is not as easy as it once was (for better or worse). the FM/DM on some aircraft has been changed significantly. with these matters, it seems a matter of personal taste whether the players welcome those changes.

it is the economic changes that seem most polarising, at the moment. the "average" player could hardly hope to accumulate enough wealth to feel like that higher tier plane they fancy is within reach. i understand the need for Gaijin to find that delicate balance, but it seems the pendulum may have swung a bit too far in this version. even with a premium account, the lion (credit) rewards are a shadow of what they had been previously. perhaps i will get used to it but, for now, it is disheartening.

13. D3lthar

D3lthar Retired Captain

added

14. D3lthar

D3lthar Retired Captain

I think the shell idea was a good one, however I don't think they compensated how much of an effect it would have on the models.
    I don't think it will be long before it is balanced.

15. Opti

Opti War Thunder Captain

I look at the changes across all beta games from initial open beta to release (aka WoT).

The changes these games go through is significant so I'm not to worried as yet as to the long term in regards to this situation.

The WT forums are full of complaints about 1.29 - it won't be long before more things are 'fixed' (read changed).

I agree with Mach5 - the economic model is stuffed (correct terminology) with the Do217 Tr11 bomber costing 900,000 lions - $#%#$%# W T F!!!

I'm sure, however, it will be addressed.

16. Mario9

Mario9 Active Member

I played a few games this morning , my new main tactic is either run & gun and GTFO or stay high and only engage in a prime possition ie: diving attack onto the tail of an enemy , and then disengage once airspeed starts to bleed off ... once your airspeed is too far bled off you cant maneuver out of danger. Also set my guns distance back to 800 ( it was 400 for dog fighting ) also use anti air or HE ammo in cannons and no tracers in MG's ....

17. Slambs

Slambs Active Member

Looks as if all the negative feedback from 1.29 broke their forums.

I hope they fix both very soon.

18. Opti

Opti War Thunder Captain

My comments on the WT forums in 1.29 thread.....

My earlier points relate to the fact that many of us here came from WoT's because it became "pay-to-win" and the grab for cash came at the expense of what the the game was in it's earlier iterations - a "loosely based historical WW2 Tank MMO". What WoT's is now is so far from "historical" is to make a joke of the word simulation.

1.29 shows a dangerous inclination towards the direction WoT's went....Gajin has a reputation for making top class simulations but it appears most Russian IT/Game Development companies are seeing the quick profit model that has been WG's success .... the problem is (as can be seen from the WoT's player base reduction) is that model is not sustainable.

I keep referring within my Clans forums that this game is still in early beta and issues like FM's and hit boxes will be ironed out over time, my greater worry is that the journey Gajin appears to be travelling is that the difference between this game and WoWP's will blur and the reputation associated with "top-class" development of "accuracy based simulations" will be diminished by an economic model of 'quick fiscal' over long term viability.

My biggest beef with 1.29 is the introduction of another variable (ammunition) when there was far more important issues to address first (FM's/Hitboxes/Joystick-in-arcade/matchmaker (still not working in 1.29)) etc.

The economic model is also broken, hense my comments about the greed for cash.

I still hold hope that the comments, of we the player base, are considered before it invariable becomes a greater issue that generates more ill will.

Opti

19. Spectre

Spectre Retired Moderator

Having been involved in the WoT and MWO betas and now WT it seems as if there is a definate development cycle that these companies take in trying to get their product to the market, as it were. As beta testers it is this roller coaster experience that sometimes makes it unpleasant to continue testing, each patch makes drastic changes to game play and in lots of cases away from the game that we have become comfortable with. I still have the occassional game of WoT and MWO not because I particularly like what the game has become nor because of the nostalgia but because in some small way the game is what it is because of the time, effort and feedback I have given it. Gaijin are obviously preparing this game to go GA and are trying to build a game that has a long term financial business viability which at times appears in direct opposition to the vocal majorities wishes but I am with Opti in that I still have hope that WT will meet the expectations that Gaijin have raised in its player base. Lets continue the testing, remain vocal and try to be positive about ongoing development.

20. r8response