War Thunder

Discussion in 'Simulation' started by D3lthar, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Mario9

Mario9 Active Member

Well .... besides Yaks being ridiculous Im quite enjoying myself. Have mothballed for the most part my larger bombers, equipped everything else with the most lethal ammo and just make sure to close in real tight for the kills and then run away before someone can get on mine.... oh ... and only play sub tier 9 :p

2. Mario9

Mario9 Active Member

3. D3lthar

D3lthar Well-Known Member

4. D3lthar

DOGFIGHTS, P38 LIGHTNING VS ME 109

5. chillaaa

chillaaa Getting Started

I loved Shady's logic a few nights back. Effectively his opinion is it's not a beta because he's spent money on it...

Also, for all the ex-WOTians among us. Just dropped myself from TOG1R in light of recent events. Will remain clanless for the foreseeable future due to the fact that I barely even log in to the game at all.

6. Zalzany

Zalzany Active Member

I've been in so many betas this year the idea of adding one more makes me cringe, did PS2, MWO WowP, and a few others not even worth remembering. The new open beta, or pre-release play trend for games while productive I hope for the companies has me feeling like a hamster in a squeaky wheel. Bad enough the ones that are 1.0 and still basically beta are in this weird murky grey area seem to be my new calling.

7. Mach 5

Mach 5 Retired Captain

i've put in a good deal of time in this title over the last week, even investing (i guess we almost have to call it that at this stage of development, right?) a bit of money for a couple of planes and premium time. this was not a difficult decision at the time given my experience in World of Warplanes. Gaijin's iteration of this genre is much better all around at this stage in the respective development cycles. nevertheless. like many others, i've found the 1.29 patch more like the horse pill i'm asked to swallow for my own good.

it seems the developers are experimenting wildly with some aspects presently. while crafting some very nice games (Wings of Prey) with a heavier "flight-sim" type of mechanic, what is becoming clear is that the company has little experience with the type of business model that will find an appropriate balance between general/casual playability and the more hard-core roots from which they've grown...and still make money. i try to recognise in what direction the game is headed and decide whether i want to steer my own desired play-style commensurately.

for now, i still find myself thrilled in those moments when i can score a few air kills in a match, and/or drop a heavy bomb-load on a tank column. i can only imagine (through rose-coloured glasses) what the combined arms aspect of their plan would look like. at one time, i felt like Wargaming.net was going to be the source for this action, but at this point, i think i like Gaijin's direction/plan a bit more. i don't really mind the company messing about with flight and damage models a little, and i suspect there will be a compromise on the earnings gigantic nerf-bat that was wielded upon the community last week.

bottom-line...
    putting 20mm cannon rounds into an enemy fighter, and sawing the tail off a bomber circling my base is a visceral thrill that is hard to find, no matter where the game is in its "development cycle".

*(edit)
    the official forum is both epically tragic and entertaining. the moderators for these things must be driven to an extra pint daily.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  8. Zalzany

Zalzany Active Member

I just started playing it, basically its every thing I hoped WoWP would be before the beta started, plus more. Don't like the horrible grind for my crew exp since they make or break a mouse plane, but outside of that I love it. Just got up to the tier 3 US bombers, the big pontoon planes, sucks having no real guns, but once I get use to high alt bombing I think it work fine till I get to the other US bombers.

Bombers were the big thing for me, in WoWP I was sad when they said they had little to no interest in player ran bombers, and anything with a rear turret or two is rookie pilots dream.

EDIT: Is there an actual division for this game with a roster? Seems like its mostly tankers playing but I got no clue which ones or what name they are using in game, and want to fill up my friends list. And I know about the channel. Also gonna to copy paste over some files for this and WoT for my cousin today, his modem is garbage and throttling him down bad, so saving him a 12 hour download lol

Oh and my record so far was 4 kills in a row, not sure how I did it, but I think I may have poached some biplanes seeing how I fired less rounds at them then any thing else I fired on, and had an awful crew for that plane. Outside of that the rest of my kills were from the turrets I manned a couple of them early on.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  9. D3lthar

No we do not have a division yet, we are trying however to get one started.

Most of the TOG members that play War Thunder no longer play World of Tanks.

The OP has a list of known ign's of members.

10. Mach 5

Mach 5 Retired Captain

hope a few of you got in on the bit of April foolery :)

shot 2013.04.01 19.09.32.jpg

11. Zalzany

Zalzany Active Member

Let me know if you guys need help starting a division, I am happy to do my old squad leader position for this that I had in WoT US-Aussie Liaison. :p

Oh and a reminder for those who read this, join the Blacksheep channel in game, especially if you play on US times so I can see if their is any one on before 9pm my time lol.

12. Opti

Opti War Thunder Division Captain

will do Zal

I find this new forum location to be harder to navigate to.......

13. Buff

Buff The Magic Dragon Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Just on the elusive new forum....
    To help the Admins in making a decision on exactly what TOG can offer, ie sub-forum or it's own outright forum, is there anyone that is willing to put their hand up for a DC/vDC role, or are we more talking about a little corner for the game in the TOG Forums, like a sub forum somewhere under another division?

:)

14. Opti

Hey Buff

As posted in 'The Desk' I'm happy to stand for DC with D3thar standing as VDC.

Zalzany and a few others are happy to stand as officers (I'm still working on Doc)

Cheers

Opti (Craig)

15. Zalzany

Zalzany Active Member

I saw a DC with admin privileges for the War Thunder channel in TS last night :) Now just need to wait to find out where and when a possible War Thunder forum division will show up.

16. Opti

Yes well erm.... coming to a channel near you shortly :)

17. Slider

Slider Well-Known Member

I play a couple times a week to get used to TrackIR but can't wait for ships to come active :)

Better get practising those carrier landing as I don't just land but crash onto the deck :D

IGN : TOG_Slider

18. r8response

r8response Well-Known Member

19. Slider

Slider Well-Known Member

The other one is in the members only part of the TOG forums while this one is in the open public forum.

20. Buff

Buff The Magic Dragon Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Once the Forum is set up we'll move the relevant threads into it :)