Warhammer 40k: Dark Millennium Online

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by Flintwick, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Flintwick

Flintwick Retired Captain

Main Site: Warhammer

So, any extra news/juicy info out about this badger? :)

Flint

2. Flintwick

Heres a bit I found: Apparently it is going to be very friendly to the WoW player... suddenly I am concerned

Source: E3 overlooked - Warhammer 40k Dark Millenium MMO

Flint

3. Venrith

Venrith Active Member

aye maybe a concern, but lets face it, theres alot of wow players so it cant be all that wrong. I just hope its as good as i think it will be

4. Bawheidbob

Bawheidbob Well-Known Member

If it comes close to the best MMO (By a long long way) ever made then it cannot be bad.

5. brohawk

brohawk Retired Captains

I wouldn't say WOW is the best but it is certainly the most popular pay per month MMO.

Personally, I just want to play 40K.

6. solarbear88

solarbear88 Well-Known Member

What they are trying to do with this game is technologically very ambitious. Be interesting if they pull it off.

7. Valkin

Valkin Active Member

I just hope that it's not another WAR (Warhammer age of Reckoning) and get support, serious long term view... I want this to be good.. and i share your concern, WOW is not bad.. just want something a little more challenging...

8. Flintwick

Indeed, you hit the nail on the head there. After playing WoW for three years, I am not blind to its merits, and thanks to blizzard pandering to the masses it is certianly the most popular MMO, but in doing so it turned itself into a fluffy grindfest with too much focus on the "gear up to raid to gear up" cycle.

In warhamer 40k, I would like to see a game with a bit more depth, more complexity and a lot more challenging. I certainly dont want them to pander to the "but its too hard!" crowd.

Either way, we will see :)

Flint

9. Ange

Ange Active Member

I dont understand as to why anyone would bother making a WoW clone. A guildie once summed it when he said 'Why would I bother playing that game when I already play WoW'.

Ange

Snott likes this.
  10. Mesar

Mesar Retired Captain

I so agree with you Ange.

WoW does WoW so much better than it's competitors.

11. Xtago

Xtago Just Joined

LoL, you do know Warhammer table top was released back in 1973, WoW and it's concepts is a rip off of WarHammer table top.

The reason why I think WarHammer never toook off heaps was that most WarHammer people play the table top game and use a computer to work out the rules etc and not to play MMOs also you have the armies and not a single person running around.

Anyway....

I think the WH40K MMO could be quite interesting as it seems to be a FPS type game with the RPG and could have team mates running with you so would make for some very different game style's and tactics.

12. Mesar

Mesar Retired Captain

Sigh...

We know that WoW was copied from Warhammer tabletop, both Ange and I played Mythic's Warhammer: Age of Reckoning for 12+ months.

The art style and rendering has been modelled on WoW, it deliberately looks like WoW with guns, the developers are mentioning that it plays like WoW, and that WoW players will be comfortable there. They've even used the same colour schemes as The Barrens and Undercity in the video shots. I'm not even convinced at this stage that it definitely is a third person shooter MMO with that 2 second cut scene.

At this point it looks like a venture capital cash-grab as in "It's just like WoW, but with guns! We'll have over a millions subs and have a bajillion dollars return in year one! You can't lose!"

I would love it if this turned out to be the PvP MMO of my personal dreams, the spiritual successor of Planetside and Dark Age of Camelot. The WH40K universe is wonderfully rich, deep and dark and would be perfect for such an MMO.

THQ is hiding their game, or the lack of it, at this point. I'm yet to be convinced.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  13. Brootal

Brootal Well-Known Member

That the artwork resembles WOW somewhat is not surprising given that the art style of WOW resembles that of the Games Workshop material. And GW is very specific about how their products are portrayed.

As for PVP, while I consider most MMO PVP broken, I don't know how you'd do it in this game while remaining true to the world. Individuals are not meant to be balanced in this world, Space marines are individually tougher than all others, how do you balance PVP when this is the case?

Anyway, I doubt it will happen, but I'd love to play a termigaunt :)

14. brohawk

brohawk Retired Captains

as Brootal states, GW is very specific on color schemes for their product. Also, I don't see it as a WOW coloring scheme anyway, their colors are sort of shiny and thin in comparison to the more flat and darker tones, however it doesn't really matter since most players always use WOW as a comparison.

I think 40k will be a 3rd or 1st person perspective since I have seen both, but that doesn't mean it will stay that way. I don't think it will be a FPS though.

Unfortunately, I think they are going more towards the current rule set for 40k than the original rule set when it was called Rogue Trader: 40K Millenium, as for me that would make a better MMO. I think they would have to do a Planetside type clone for the FPS/current rule set to work but we will see.

I do agree that they might make their money up front when the initial mad rush to buy the product happens. I know I will be there as an Ork. :)

15. Flintwick

16. Bawheidbob

Bawheidbob Well-Known Member

It does look very promising thanks for sharing that vid flint.

17. Mesar

Mesar Retired Captain

18. camdy

camdy Well-Known Member

19. delushin

delushin Well-Known Member

Looks interesting might have to check this one out ... never got to hardcore into the Warhammer scene but love the story and characters ... I mean we all know Gears of War was based on Space Marines ... Hrm what was that FPS from way back Fire Warrior? That was fun ... Lately I have been looking for an MMO ... might just wait it out and see how this goes

Reoh likes this.
  20. Cindax

Cindax Well-Known Member

I have high expectations for this game and I'm hoping that it is much better than Warhammer Online.

Its going to be laying low on my radar for quite some time tho' I expect.