Warhammer 40k MMORPG

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by Reoh, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

I'll admit I only have a fairly cursory understanding of the Warhammer 40K universe but from what I understand there were heaps of different factions? Most MMORPG's keep to 1-2, sometimes 3 playable factions. That doesn't rule out what you're suggesting but as a retroactive look at what is out there as a gauge I doubt it. Still they might surprise us all and I would really like to see a game try that, and hopefully go well with it.

2. King_Rocket

King_Rocket Well-Known Member

I just can't see it being much of an 40K MMO if it was just two factions, say Space Marines and Orcs.

At the very least it would should see Space Marines, Orcs, Eldar, Chaos.

Keeping in mind each of those races have sub factions that also go to war with each other on occasion.

3. Nukerat

Nukerat Well-Known Member

This would make sense as this would give 2 "Good" factions and 2 "Evil". Yes I realise that in 40k terms of good and evil are quite bendable :).

I think most of the races could be playable though how you would relate to Tyranids or Necrons could be a little hard to translate. If they do can I put my hand up now to play a Carnifex?

I am trying to curb my enthusiasm as I know its a long way off but this does hit very high on my OhmygodOhmygodOhmygodOmeter.

4. King_Rocket

I also figure they will hold back some races for expansions or something. That's pretty much how the GW have always done it in the past and if Blood Bowl is any indication its carried over the the digital realm.

5. Rickety

Rickety Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Well, going from Dawn of War RTS game, the original had almost 10 playable races that were all separate. As an example, Space Marines hate all aliens so this would mean any alien race is an automatic enemy. If they have just two races, this would kind of suck. However, if they go the same way as Warhammer Online and try and have too many races, it may be too disperse?

I think King_Rocket's idea of just four races would be a good starting point.

6. King_Rocket

This is not strictly true, Space Marines will fight along side Eldar if they face a common enemy like Chaos.

7. brohawk

brohawk Retired Captains

mainly there are "good" Humans (Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Sisters of Battle), "bad" humans (Chaos), "good" Eldar, "bad" Eldar (Dark Eldar), Orks, Tau, Necrons, Tyranids, and for the really old, Dwarves but they sort of let them go away like the Zoats.

About the only alliances are between the "good" sides and even that is only for specific objectives based on the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Rarely would Orks ally with Chaos and all bets are off when it comes to Necrons or Tyranids. Tau is iffy as they also have their own self-righteous agenda.

I would seriously doubt they would let anyone roleplay a Tau, Necron or Tyranid in a MMO setting. Orks while there is a precedent set with WAR might even be iffy in a 40K setting, but it would be my first choice just like it was in WAR.

The potential is there for huge gameplay. My guess is they will revert back to the Rogue Trader rule set, which I still have a copy I bought in the 80's. :) That was more an RPG than what 40K has become. The classes you are most looking at would be Inquisitors (Space Marine psycher usually, though some were totally immune to psychic attack like the Grey Knights were), Assassins (several types, very deadly), Engineers (your basic geek with a gun), and Adepts (psychers/wizards). Those would be my choices for your standard 4 classes. That gives you your basic tank (Inquisitor), two dps classes and a general purpose support class.
    On race, well you will probably be limited to human, although maybe a dwarf engineer or an eldar warlock would be viable.

Anyway, I am sure it is a long way off. If they make it based on the 40K of today, it will be more like a FPS ala Planetscape possibly or BF/COD/TF. That would probably be the easiest to implement than the RPG type of game. Now what I would really like to see is some Titans on the field of battle. Can you imagine if they made them to scale how absolutely huge they really would be?!! That would give me goosebumps.

8. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

After speaking with my personal 40k depository of knowledge, she assured me that Warhammer 40k could work quite well with multiple races allying up into 2-3 factions which I'll admit is actually quite possible so maybe we will see a lot more playable races than I first suspected. ;)

9. ColdCamV

ColdCamV Active Member

Sounds good..would be heaps better then the regular 1v1 factions

And thank you brohawk for all that information on what is in the game that i didnt know lol..really the only way of me figuring out what warhammer is all about is going to the shopping centre and going into games workshop or whatever its called i forgotten.:D

10. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

11. King_Rocket

Goody!

12. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

Bring back the Squats!

Space is just so lonely without angry little men with beards, beer and bucket loads of bombs.

13. King_Rocket

Dark Millenium is no longer an MMO

Hmm this might be a change for the good if its turned into a great coop rpg.

Full Story

14. brohawk

brohawk Retired Captains

I actually think that is a good thing as well. Now here is to hoping they bring it like Skyrim and have tons of content with great combat and story. ;) I think the coop has some promise as well.

15. Flintwick

Flintwick Retired Captain

They already have Warhammer 40k Space Marine for that. This makes me sad :(

16. Spice.

Spice. Retired Captain

Disappointed that there won't be a 40k MMO, I believe this is a move for the better. I'm hoping it will be a Borderlands style co-op multiplayer, leaving any dungeons they had built intact, just retweaked for 4 players.