Warhammer Online

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by Macro, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Tularian

Tularian Getting Started

its nice to see someone took a que from the Dawn of War people and actually make a kick arse trailer. And another thing SLAP!!! lol thats so funny when the orc hits that wall idk why.

2. Grue

Grue Getting Started

It's not just the green skin playing catapult ammo.......it's the pile of previous attempts he slides into that just kills me!!

3. Tularian

Tularian Getting Started

Oh yea expect to see alot more 40 man raids in Warhammer.... raids on the CAPITAL cities lol its like Relic raids all over again in DAoC.

4. Nightlife

Nightlife Active Member

Rather disappointed that in game footage from E3 hasn't appeared on Fileplanet yet. Anyone found any footage at other sites?

5. Grue

Grue Getting Started

Things I would definitely point out that are better about a Capital Raid (WAR / DAoC) and 40 man raids (WoW).

No requirements to join a capital raid. (level or quest)
    No raid limit (bring 200 of your closest friends and let's start a WAAAAAAAGHH!!")
    Come in late? No problem, join the fun in progress!!
    "You keep what you kill!" No DK points, no loot squabbling.

And my personal favorite:
    You don't have to subsist on second rate gear because you don't know 39 people you want to schedule your play time around, or play for 8hrs straight. EVERYBODY gets the benifits (and penalties) of capital raids.

6. waaznad

waaznad Just Joined

Go to GamesDay to get into the beta!

I went to GamesDay in Baltimore (if your not familiar w/ it it's the annual con for their tabletop games), they played the same trailer they were showing at E3. They also had a sorta tech demo where they ran around the game world and showed off the dwarf and goblin models. At the end of the q and a they gave out lottery cards w/ #'s on them. You enter your # into their website and they will take a 100 people from each game day event around the world into the initial beta! Good luck!

oh yeah the pvp scenarios will work on a point system similiar to the table top battles ie they you bring a handful of uber toons or a ton of lowbies.

also as of right now they are saying no civil wars all pvp will be light alliance vs dark.

you can opt out of pvp altogether and still have an effect on the war. running quests to increase your sides point limit for certain pvp missions that you have intention of taking part in.

the dev mentioned something they call christmas quests. He wasn't too clear on these but the example he gave was hillarious. ex. (you find a goblin begging for food for his starving wolf. you can find food for the wolf and get a normal payoff but if kill the goblin and feed him to the wolf you get a christmas gift! what it was he wouldnt say.)

Last edited: May 14, 2006
  7. medicated

medicated Well-Known Member

I am hoping to get into the Beta for this game. I have high hopes for it (though I know I shouldn't). I joined World of Warcraft for the player vs player, and sadly it has fallen way below sub par.

Warhammer Online looks to be the next best thing as far as pvp is concerned. Hopefully the game will be good and we can get a good Tog guild going there.:twisted:

8. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

Re trailer -- Now that's a dwarf! hehe

9. Drassan

Drassan Well-Known Member

Now that's a dark elf :)

10. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

Did you see that Gamespot interview with the devs?

They said as you get higher level you will be able to tell physically. An orc will get larger and more imposing, a dwarf's beard will get larger, etc.

Great interview the guy was very spirited!

11. Rigor

Rigor Getting Started

I've had more than enough of running around with 39 other idiots from WoW to last me for the rest of my life into a couple more. No thanks.

12. Rigor

Rigor Getting Started

WoW's PvP went south when they patched in the honor system in 1.4. But it was going to go south anyway. You cannot have a PvE instance focussed game with decent PvP. At best, it will be purely arena fighting, which is what WoW degenerated into.

However, the PvP was damned fun for the first six months after launch. WoW is not a game for serious PvPers. The only reason that DAoC is still running is because of the RvR combat, and Mythic has taken that to heart claiming that this game will be the spiritual successor to DAoC.

Among some of the cool things you will be able to do is adorn your armor (at least for orcs) with the skulls of your defeated PvP enemies. They are also claiming you can do nothing but PvP oriented quests from start to finish.

This game is not WoW. WoW only chose to include PvP in the game near the end. This is very sad because that game was tailor-made for it. They could have put in a real territory control PvP endgame, and that would have been the best game ever made. But unfortunately it degenerated into a perpetual gear-hunt at the end of which you are all dressed up with no place to go.

I am very hopeful for this game. Mythic is a credible company. This product will definitely materialize. It's about the only thing that's on the horizon for the PvP inclined MMORPGers. Let's hope they deliver on what they are promising.

13. Grue

Grue Getting Started

14. Drassan

I'm curious as to what they do with the magic system as the way it works in the PnP rpg wouldn't translate well to a mmorpg.

15. Grue

Grue Getting Started

I think many who are familiar with MMOs and Warhammer Fantasy know the mechanics of the game will simply have to be different. But it sure will be interesting to see if they can capture feel of the magic system :)

16. Nightlife

Nightlife Active Member

As long as they don't pull a Monty Python with a giant hand coming down with a ruler and a cardboard fireball I think we'll be fine :D

17. Drassan

That's what I'm curious about. Magic is supposed to be wildly dangerous and unpredictable in the Old World. MMOG players OTOH like things to be very predictable :)