What are you playing at the moment?

Discussion in 'Pen and paper games' started by fantomas, Nov 2, 2007.

1. fantomas

fantomas Active Member

To get the ball rolling with the new section.....

Currently I'm involved with to RPGs.

On Tuesday nights I'm playing a home brew Sci-Fi game. Rules are based off second ed World of Darkness.

On Thursday nights I'm playing in a Shadowrun game. Rules are 4th ed. Background has been changed a bit. Year is 2050, we are all teenagers (eg my char's age is 14) and trying to survive in Hong Kong without any family - street kids/gang. From the character's perspective UGE, goblinisation, magic etc has yet to occur. Timeline different to that of Shadowrun canon

2. TickledBlue

TickledBlue Getting Started

I also play with fant in this one - lots of fun with high falutin' concepts and giant squid aliens that humans should not ken

I'm actually running this one :rolleyes:

Although given the variable player turnout each week, I must be doing a bloody awful job (come back Johnny we miss you) :(

3. dragonlibrarian

dragonlibrarian Getting Started

I play in this game too! Dude, I think you do a splendid job! I can tell you it has nothing to do with you or your DM-ing.....:D

4. Jia

Jia Retired Moderator

I play with a group of friends on a regular basis. We take turns DMing, and each of us has his/her personal preferences when it comes to which system we're going to have our players use.

At the moment we have a Shadowrun 4th ED group (the characters are located in Hamburg, Germany), a DSA group (a system developed in Germany; it's an ordinary fantasy setting) and a D&D group (3rd ED, though I'd like to go back to AD&D 2nd ED simply because I like it better, and I'm thinking about introducing the characters to Planescape on the long run).

5. Sir Fitz

Sir Fitz Retired Administrator

I havn't played in years... but when I did, I definately enjoyed it. (AD&D)

6. DaBang

DaBang Getting Started

About to start a Rolemaster fantasy campaign on Wed nights. We finished an extremely long running AD&Dv2 Forgotten Realms campaign about 6 months ago. We've been testing short runs of various systems and genres since then to determine what our next campaign will be.

7. fantomas

fantomas Active Member

Love the critical hit & fumble tables of Rolemaster. Played in a campaign several years ago. Have the boxed set at home somewhere. A friend who's been running some homebrew fantasy games borrows from some of the source books.

8. TickledBlue

TickledBlue Getting Started

Yeah those table definately rocked! But I found the character generation and general mechanics a bit painful - mind you this was the original version I got when I was a kid back in the eighties. I got a more updated version of SpaceMaster as a prize at Arcarnacon a long time ago and it seemed to have cleaned up nicely... but still a little too crunchie for me :)

You could give Warhammer fantasy a look, it had its own critical hit tables and the system was wonderfully stylised and more simple. Easy for everyone to pick up and play, but with enough tweaks to keep players happy. Plus its a very evocative setting.

9. Zhul

Zhul Retired Captain

I'm currently in an AD&D 3.5ed game that meets every other weekend (and has been going for just over a year). We're playing in a home brew setting using just the core rulebooks (PH, DMG, MM) and it's been tremendously fun.

Ah, I miss RM and SM sometimes. I had a group of buddies in college that gamed and we played everything from D&D to RM to GURPS to one guy's homebrew system. Good times. :)

10. Gwendalyn

Gwendalyn Active Member

I used to play AD&D 2nd Ed. Forgotten Realms, but all the players moved away/grew up/went onto other things.

I still have 3 x A3 boxes full of AD&D Core modules, Rule Books, FR Modules, etc... and I just cant seem to permit myself to do away with them. Even though my wife thinks the stuff is "Total Crap!"

I loved the whole roll the dice experience. Even had brief go at Shaddowrun and Mechwarrior. But AD&D was the best. Would love to get back into it, but time is very limited atm, RL and Everquest2 takes up all my time.

one day.... one day..... I shall return!

:)

11. theyounggamers

theyounggamers Getting Started

i think the already best ever . . ;):D

12. paenggoy

paenggoy Active Member

I played Arkham Horror with the first expansion with five other players and had a great time, although it was a very long match (it took something like seven hours to finish). I bought a copy but haven't used it yet. I'm more interested in trying games like the ones about the princes of Florence but can't find copies locally.

13. medicated

medicated Well-Known Member

I used to play anything and everything I could get my hands on for my gaming group back in the US. (Rifts, AD&D 2nd Ed, D&D 3rd Ed and 3.5 ed, Battle Lords, Battletech, and many more.)

Since moving to Melbourne, I haven't really gamed. My books are sitting on the shelf collecting dust.

14. insmouth

insmouth Just Joined

I used to play quite a bit of D&D but for last 12 months my shift has focussed more on independant RPGs influenced by theory at The Forge.

My favourites so far are The Burning Wheel and Burning Empires.

That said Im watching 4th edition D&D developments with keen interest.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  15. logan9a

logan9a Getting Started

I'm doing Heroic Cthulhu. Been lucky enough to get to game with fantomas for one weekend; hope to do it again soon. He is a brilliant gamer - very bad difference in our time zones.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  16. fantomas

fantomas Active Member

If you live in the USA and get a chance, definitely see if you can hook up for a game with Logan. It was great fun & reminded me why Cthulhu style games are my favourite!

He also does the occasional game online via skype (still working on ventrilo recording). Pity the time differences between Chicago & Melbourne are so great otherwise I would easily enjoy trying to play as often as possible with him & the others who do the online gaming.

17. paenggoy

paenggoy Active Member

Arkham Horror with a Lovecraft fan group, but I'd like to try CoC because I've never played PnP RPG.

18. logan9a

logan9a Getting Started

I'd definately recommend trying it out.

19. Egil

Egil Retired Captain

Most often we play D20 Modern with young (18-20 year old) characters who were friends through school (different schools, brought together by family tragedies).

Lately, we've done an alternate universe version where these characters were bitten by Vampires (2 of them) and Werewolves (2 of them) and 2 of them are still human, but ultra-geek-gadgeteers.

We use a mixture of D20 Modern, D20 Future, Urban Arcana, After Sunset, a medley of Blood and _______ books, some house rules, and a bunch of World of Darkness books as reference material.

20. Major.Psycho

Major.Psycho Getting Started

d20 Modern

Playing a d20 Modern Military unit game currently with some Swods Edge Materials and Blood and Guts stuff as well as Ultrmodern Firearms.

In the vein of the TV show "The Unit" but based in Canada. More of a real life game as there are no Monsters or Magic etc. Sort of like a pen and paper Rainbow 6.