What are your thoughts about MYST?

Discussion in 'RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others' started by Relztrah, May 22, 2009.

1. Relztrah

Relztrah Just Joined

I have an old jalopy of a PC with a Celeron processor running at 2.2 GHz and 1 GB of RAM. So my PC gaming is limited to older games.

I like some of the FPS games as long as it's not exclusively shooting (i.e. Unreal) which is why my all-time favorite games are Half-Life and Half-Life II, both of which played fine on my computer. I also enjoy the old Tom Clancy games for PC.

I asked my Professional Gaming Consultant (a.k.a. my 16-year-old son) about MYST and he thought I would like it because it's more of a strategy game.

But I read that the original MYST is in fact too old doesn't play well on Windows XP, and my PGC suggested that I get a later release. But I don't want to have the opposite problem of the game needing more horsepower than my PC can provide.

What are your thoughts about MYST in general and which release should I get? If there is already a thread on this topic, please provide the link.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or recommendations.

Relztrah

2. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

If you haven't played it before then you'll love Deus Ex. It's a shooter but it's more of a role playing game with a great story, right up there with the likes of Half Life. It runs on a modified Unreal 1 engine and you can find it on Steam really cheap. If you've already played it check out http://www.thenamelessmod.com/ it's a big mod for Deus Ex one, it's about 1GB and has several hours of dialogue and took 7 years to make.

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  3. Jigoku

Jigoku Retired Captain

MYST isn't strategy, it is puzzle, and I think every gamer should experience it. A quick google search gives lots of hits for "running myst on xp". For instance:

Riven (& Myst) QuickTime troubleshooting - MYSTcommunity

I've played through all the MYST games (I-V and Uru) and enjoyed them all.

I will second Drac's suggestion of Deus Ex. Ripper of a game.

4. zero

zero Active Member

I bought the 'Big Bytes' budget version of Myst which works fine, pretty sure it's been re-released specifically to work under XP.

Red and white packaging, 10 bucks. Worth every cent :)

5. Relztrah

Relztrah Just Joined

I'm not familiar with mods. How does this work? Would I need to install the original Deus Ex in order to play the mod? If there's already a tutorial or thread elsewhere on TOG, just direct me there. Yes, I played the original Deus Ex some time ago and enjoyed it, but I unstalled the game and sold the CD.

My son has a Steam account which I can use, and I trust I can pay with PayPal.

Thanks for the suggestion.