What 'old' FPS titles have you been playing, if any, lately?

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by Ned, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Ned

Ned Public Forum Coordinator

The First PC game I played was Unreal. It came out in 1998 and it was quite simply amazing in so many ways. The story and immersion, the multiplayer, BOT matches, amazing graphics! ... it had everything you could possibly want in a game. It had more then than many games have now.

I've stated using Steam again recently and decided to buy Unreal Gold from the online store. Unreal Gold was a pack that included the original Unreal and the expansion pack that was released the following year, Return to Na Pali!

[​IMG]

I never got to play the expansion pack 'back in the day' and have just put a couple of hours into it and I have to say I'm very impressed! Yes the graphics are outdated but the immersion is certainly still there. And... there's even still multiplayer servers going with many still playing!

TOG public forum | FPS - Everything Unreal

=====

For the sake of this thread, let's say an 'old' game is four or more years past it's release date. So who's been playing what? Singleplayer, multiplayer or both.

There's more to good gaming than new releases!

:)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  2. Spectre8

Spectre8 Retired Administrator

hahaha!!!! Love this...

Battlefield 2!!! :D

Actually, it's still coming up on it's 4th birthday - so I'll leave it out for the time being.
    Battlefield 1942, and it's winning mod, Desert Combat. Combining air land and sea attacks, this game (and mod) are just winners. There's been very little come close to matching the brilliance and scale of this once genre defining title. To be able to walk up to any vehicle in the game (and oh how many vehicles to choose from!) and to get in and fly, drive or sail it anywhere on the map is still simply unmatched today. BF2 and Frontlines: Fuel of War both fell short of acheiving this openness and accessability, despite bringing other elements to the genre.

Desert Combat was, and still is for me, simply the very best example of modern warfare on a theatre scale. It's a truely tiered system of war - bombers, jets, helicopters, tanks, mobile artillery, jeeps, foot soldiers of all roles, battleships, aircraft carriers, detroyers and even submarines! And the flexibility to jump into any role at any time. Unparrelleled.

Has dated quite badly in the graphics area - but it's still played on a few busy servers every night, and still gets the blood pumping easily! A truly great mod, of a great game.

3. Parkey

Parkey Well-Known Member

Funny you say that a few guys from the BF2 division were talking about firing the old 1942 up. Haven't played it myself but am going to have a look at it. I have never not played a game due to graphics. If the game is good you can see through the graphics imo.

The other day a mate and I played a game that we played countless hours on as kids. It is called BodyCount. We laughed our way through it.
    Just amazing how far games have come really. Seemed like there were only 10 colours in the game. lol

4. Spectre8

Spectre8 Retired Administrator

I know the feeling mate - look at Wolfenstein to Crysis and then think it's actually not been all that long between them when you put it all into perspective. However, in computer land, it's ten or so generations... amazing!

However - Desert Combat is simply bloody brilliant - still an active TOG division for it, and still one or two busy local servers for it too. The sheer scale of the mod is whats most impressive - the number of different vehicles that all handle so very differently - BF2 still wouldn't have been released if they put that many objects in-game :)

5. scrotemboy360

scrotemboy360 Just Joined

i wouldnt say the gaphics are that bad , we try to get together and land bash this as much as possible still one of the favorites for game play this game gets me hooked every time i play even if against comp AI

6. Ned

...some Desert Combat fans!
    Here's some more info for those considering this one.

• award winning total conversion mod for Battlefield 1942
    • modern day military theme
    • focused on conflicts in the middle-east
    • final version released Oct-2004

// WHAT YOU NEED TO PLAY

• Battlefield 1942 - Official Site -
    --BF1942 patch v1.6.19 | AusGamers
    --BF1942 patch v1.6.19 to v1.61b | AusGamers
    Desert Combat (v0.7) | AusGamers
    Desert Combat (v0.7 - final) | AusGamers

7. malevolent01

malevolent01 Just Joined

It seems like i've been playing counter strike for many years and keep coming back to it after trying other single player games and a couple other fps. Lately i reloaded Battlefield 1942 and that got me going out to buy 2142 which i recon is awsome. As Spectre8 says the Desert combat mod was and is still a lot of fun

8. Jia

Jia Retired Moderator

I just can't get tired of the original Ghost Recon, plus its various mods (does anybody know/remember the BOOM! maps? I loved them!). And then there's Operation Flashpoint...
    Those two games = for the win! :D

9. madoldfart

madoldfart Well-Known Member

Salgurdar, Dummy! and Ned like this.
  10. Ned

Now that's old! 1997

[​IMG]

The official website is still going
    Blood - Welcome to the Realm of Blood

Have a look in the downloads section...
    :p

Reviews rated very well!
    Thanks for posting that :)

Dummy! likes this.
  11. Dummy!

Dummy! Well-Known Member

Quake Arena :) And System shock for those who remember it!

12. Rog69

Rog69 Well-Known Member

I recently had another run through my all time favorite game- System Shock 2, and I enjoyed it just as much as the first 6 times I played it. It's a shame it's so flakey to get running (and keep running) on XP.

13. Dummy!

Dummy! Well-Known Member

Thats what I play sorry, System shock 2 :p

I love it! It's so tacy, yet so fun!

14. Drebin

Drebin Well-Known Member

Ive fired up Battlefield Vietnam again, I love those helicopters :) :) :) (even thou I still cant fly them)

Dummy! likes this.
  15. plebc

plebc Well-Known Member

Day of Defeat Source is 4 years old this year - and I still play it once or twice a week. Best $10 you could spend, TOG dudes are great fun to play with - Friday night drinking fun, one other night a semi-competitive campaign.

I still break out Doom3 now and again, but that's about it. Very occasionally I play Half-Life or UT2k4.

Dummy! likes this.
  16. RUFFSACK

RUFFSACK Well-Known Member

Halo

17. DextrousWeevil

DextrousWeevil Retired Captain

18. Fate

Fate Active Member

I played a bit of Soldier of Fortune yesterday, just the subway level. Pretty good fun shooting off limbs and such.

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of Redneck Rampage? The speech bits were vulgar funny. I still remember the main character go "I 'm so hungry I can eat the arse of a menstruating skunk" or something like that :p

19. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

Still play CS ;)

Also been playing Deus Ex, Rainbow Six Rogue Spear and Ghost Recon.

20. Dummy!

Dummy! Well-Known Member

Na man. CSS old school. To many serious people play it lol.. Like some one... :p

BTW I just bought Rainbow 2 aswell :p