What singleplayer FPSs have you been impressed with?

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by Ned, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Ned

Ned Public Forum Coordinator

That's right, single-player :)

I admit, multiplayer is for me and it's a rare thing for a single-player version of a game to capture me enough to complete it and love it. Most that play online probably feel the same way. BUT there are good SP games out there! Now, I know graphics are important to a point but what games had the gameplay and immersion and intensity that kept you playing? What singleplayer FPS games, if any, stood out for you?

Here's a list from me in no particular order..

- Unreal
    - Unreal 2
    - Medal of Honor Allied Assault series
    - Medal of Honor Airborne
    - Vietcong
    - Soldier of Fortune 2
    - Call of Duty: United Offensive
    - Call of Juarez: Bound In Blood
    - Borderlands
    - Crysis

Last edited: May 11, 2011
    Roosta likes this.
  2. Dummy!

Dummy! Well-Known Member

pffft. Silly noob head Neddeh told me to edit this .. cause I didnt read it right LOL :)
    hehehe, neddeh! :p

My fav single player games are..
    Unreal 1 - 2
    CODUO!
    Cod4 !
    GTA4 (PC) :D :D :D

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  3. Jakob_Pavlov

Jakob_Pavlov Retired Captain

Call of Duty 4 single player was great, in my opinion.

Pace, intensity, storyline, variation.............

....and, obviously, Half Life and Half Life 2.

4. Ned

LOL @ Dummy... I knew someone would add a multiplayer game into this singleplayer thread :mrgreen:

I see you're an Unreal fan! Can you believe 1998 that came out!?!
    The immersion in that game was incredible (and the graphics for it's day jaw-dropping!)

I knew CoD 4 and Half Life 2 would get mentions. They just didn't capture me those ones but from feedback and game-chat that I've had they certainly 'captured' many others!

5. jimmywrangles

jimmywrangles Well-Known Member

Prey.
    [​IMG]

Avoozl likes this.
  6. Ned

..another good game!

The Spirit and Wall walking and Gravity flipping also made for a unique multiplayer experience.

By the way, get patched to v1.4 as it removes the disc check from start up (ie. no disk required to start the game)

cheers
    ned

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  7. Arkon

Arkon Retired Captain

Thanks ned
    Boy I used to get a headache from playing this one .

8. Spectre8

Spectre8 Retired Administrator

As has been said - COD4 and HL2 - simply brilliant and engrossing in all manner of ways. COD4 has such incredibly good graphics that I've been stunned that it's a game - the animations of your team-mates when entering buildings, or leaping over a wall... just perfect - but the thing that made it look so damn good was the lighting - incredible. As an experience, I just couldn't stop playing - most excellent, and the "reward" at the end with the bonus round was superb! The best pure action shooter I've ever played.

Half Life 2 was, and still is the best narrative FPS I've played - brilliant characters, fantastic story, and a wonderfully realised world. The way it starts with you on the train is great, and left to wander out into the city... just great - and Alex... they didn't go for the typical Lara Croft "babe" and ended up with so much more - very cool.

Both very much "on rails" from start to finish, so exceedingly limiting and limited in that regard, but for what they are, simply brilliant. I think to get away from the rails thing, you really need to step away from pure shooters, and delve more into titles like Deus Ex (Gold!) or even a title like Fallout 3 - both are First Person, and both are shooters of sorts, but at the same time, they're RPG's too... it's the combo-blend that I like so much. I think Far Cry 2 tried to go for the open ended shooter, but failed badly on too many fronts. Great graphics - and it's impact will be felt for future titles for years to come I think - but ultimately a fatally flawed title. Self propagating fire, exploding ammo dumps, wilderness and the beautifully implemented seamless interface will become the norm in a few years - and thats a damn good thing.

9. Dummy!

Dummy! Well-Known Member

I still play the Unreal Games a lot :p But mainly.. Unreal Tournament Game Of the Year Edition :p My fav online game, and i love to play solo against the bots :p

I need more meat! :)

10. Spectre8

Spectre8 Retired Administrator

Ironically I've never played Unreal Tournament against other people! :)

Had the demo of that game on my old work PC, and played it for hours - my home rig couldn't even boot it, so never actually got the full game - loved playing against the bots then - awesome game from what I saw.

11. Tulgar

Tulgar Battlefield Leader

I am going old school back to Doom. That game was amazing in its day. I have never felt fear in a game since like I did in that one :)

But, I think my winner would be the original Ghost Recon. That game was tense. I never have got into a shooter since like I did with that one.

12. Ned

How do the follow up games compare to the original?
    I haven't played any of them, just curious.

Have you played the any of the SWAT series?
    If yes, how do they compare?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  13. Dummy!

Dummy! Well-Known Member

back in the Day. playin against other people in UT was great! But sadly, nowdays its a hackfest :( .. But, it's always good to play with the bots :)

If we had enough intrest I'd get a server set for a night so we can have some good ol fun! like the old days:)

14. Dummy!

Dummy! Well-Known Member

If any on of you are keen to play the Old game again! ( Unreal )
    Please RE here! And I see if we can get a server for the night and have some old school FUN! :D

15. Beavis

Beavis Well Torn Member and Previously Retired Captain

Along with those games already listed,I quite enjoyed F.E.A.R,FarCry and STALKER,although I get very frustrated with the last one

16. Porky

Porky Well-Known Member

said it before and say it again..brothers in arms series..especially the second ...had in addition to the game itself, a series of scenarios,missions,such as defending a bunker complex against waves of attackers. going down a country road ,sneaking up on a farmhouse with sniper rifle..hell im not doing the game justice.you could play as us or german.squad based, you had control of 2 squads,and keeping trach of your guys who had names and faces, personalities was very immersive...now that i got my new vid card(visiontec 4850), i can get the new hells highway from them....still my favorite ww2 shooter series..i like it better than cod,not scripted paths,attack objectives many different ways. if you get slaughtered going around one side of a building, find another way around to flank the enemy and win...5 thumbs up!

17. Ned

Beavis,

Have you played the two FEAR expansions?
    -Extraction Point
    -Perseus Mandate
    If yes how do they compare to the original?
    Will you be buying F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin?

FEAR is one HELL scary game :shock:

Porky,

Have you played all three Brothers in Arms?
    • Road to Hill 30
    • Earned in Blood
    • Hell's Highway

If yes how do they compare?
    Have you played other squad based tactical games?
    If yes, how do these compare to BIA?

18. Porky

Porky Well-Known Member

its been a couple years since ive played the first one.the ai in the second , eib was a bit better.smarter, more challenging...i guess when i think back there were some scripted "paths". you cant get away without that, but most scenarios you had 2-3 options for attacking and each one would present its own set of problems and counter options...never played any other squad based games, just ww2 stuff. havent played latest Hells Higheway ,although looking forward to getting it. Just got a new vid card, visiontek 4850, so now i have the power to play it..and cod 5..and.....

19. Slapstick

Slapstick Active Member

Operation Flashpoint by far.

The single player campaign was brilliant. You played in a truely open world with limitless possibilities not a sequence of hallways that simply made it look like you were outdoors. Most missions had you covering 4-30km (depending if you had to walk or had a vehicle) and there was no one true way to accomplish a mission. Every single FPS I've played since (2000?) has failed to live up to the standard set by OFP.

I missed out on Armed Assault (the follow up to OFP) because my rig couldn't handle it, but I just got a new machine so I might grab a copy out of the bargain bin while I eagerly await ArmA2.

20. Porky

Porky Well-Known Member

you might be able to find a copy of it here GOG.com