When you have kids you can't have nice things >:(

Discussion in 'Console Talk (Public)' started by Gash, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Gash

Gash Well-Known Member

Prepare for an Ebonytears style vent here, where a 'precious' child has pained their gamer parent.

I treat my console games with kid gloves, and pride myself in keeping them in mint condition. I'd have been confident that if I showed you one of my game cases previously along side a brand newie in the shops you wouldn't be able to pick which is which.

Anyway come home from work this evening, open front door and look in lounge for 'darling' 18 m.o. son, and there he is standing on a pile of Wii and 360 games.

Alarmed, I rush to retrieve them, too shocked to tell him off. Started picking up the games and....

....many have a 'perfect' set of indent teeth marks, front and back, where he had been gnawing them sandwhich style!

I'm telling myself its my fault for levaing them in the cupboard under the TV i.e. at baby height - but until now he hadn't been storng enough to pull open the tight magnetic clasp.

I'm also telling myself he is teething so it's not his fault he chews things.

Finally I even reminded myself of some of the things of my dad's I wrecked when I was young.

Ultimatly though I am just down right pissed off!!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :evil: :(
    :bigcry:

PS tried to take a pic of the damage but our crappy camera phones can't seem to focus on the glossy cases properly - picture a blistered plastic cover with the paper bit inside all warped and soggy :bigsad:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  2. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

haha, far worse than the time he smashed those mugs :p

Just be thankful he didn't get the discs out and chew them.

3. KeyMagic

KeyMagic Well-Known Member

36 months from now he's gonna be your wingman/ and 'got ur back' so think of the good times gaming together you got coming up.

4. Ebonytears

Ebonytears Queen of the Abyss

Aawww Gash :(

*hugz*

5. Gash

Gash Well-Known Member

They were Kitty's mugs so I didn't care :p Although now that you mention it I do have a mug that like a greatgrandaunt hand painted in '77 which I used through all my childhood and has become something of a keepsake - maybe I better get that out of the mug cupboard and higher up!

Thank God for small miracles. Most importantly my import copy of Chocobo's Dungeon was completly unharmed so thats going to be kept somewhere else from now on.

Hope so! I had kinda thought he'd be a sports fan just to spite me or rebel, but I suppose this interest in games should be encouraging to me :p

Thanks *sniff* Now (a few hours later) I think about him standing on the pyramid of games and kinda laugh, but then I look at the damaged cases and feel sorry for myself again.

Funnily enough I just found some more games hidden in his toy box, so I think he was saving some for later! (I'd post a pic of the culprit if this wasn't a public forum - why isn't it TOG only anyway?)

6. oldskool

oldskool Retired Moderator

Live and learn mate live and learn. :)

7. Xavien

Xavien Retired Captain

That sucks mate :(

Thankfully i dont have kids, i dont even have a wife so its max time at the pc when ever i want and nothing gets broke......well unless i do it :p

8. Bawheidbob

Bawheidbob Well-Known Member

The person that was looking after said son is the one that should feel the wrath :)

9. Mes More

Mes More Well-Known Member

We learn them to walk and then tell them to stop running
    Learn them to speak and then tell them to shut up

Aaah, kids, you gotta love them.

Good news though Gash, you are entitled to buy lots of new games now, because this was clearly not your fault. For that you can use your sons allowance that he was going to get in the first 5 years (it says so in my manual that you can use it).
    And finally, mine are 8 and 5 and they keep nagging about playing Tomb raider with them :D. The oldest already is already good for a nice game of Mario Kart, so....hang in there. Good times are coming your way.

10. Kiz

Kiz Retired Captain

just be thankful that he is ok...

if said person was looking after said son, said cases wouldnt be harmed :)

i dont have kids, but if that happened here i know i would get the blame lol (why werent you watching him blah blah blah ) lol

11. George

George Retired Captain

We caught Holly chewing through the mouse lead once when she was teething. The thing never worked again. It was near the power lead so we were lucky really. Barracades all around the house after that one.

Kiz, when you have kids you realise you can't watch them all the time & when they go quiet that are doing something they should be and you go running to where they are :)

12. Kiz

Kiz Retired Captain

i would probly have one of those play pens, i work in child care, so im good at watching like a hawke...lol, and besides id rather have nothing broken instead of my head biten off..lol ;)

13. Ebonytears

I hate the silence. You suddenly realise the house is dead quiet. You search your memory for the last time you heard a sound. You pin point the amount of time they've had to do god only knows what and the direction of the noise......and then bolt in that direction screaming "STOP THAT RIGHT THIS INSTANCE!!!"

Mind you...can be embarrassing as hell when they're playing mums and babies and the mum has finally got the babies to sleep :oops: Boy did I get a lecture that day.

14. Vulcan21

Vulcan21 Well-Known Member

I too, know what it is like to have young children at one stage. I lost a gaming PC once, when my daughter figured how to remove the cover and decided to poor orange juice over the motherboard. Luckily it was not turned on at the time, but the moisture was enough to stuff it.
    Thankfully insurance covered it.

15. Kiz

Kiz Retired Captain

:biglol:

16. Obsi

Obsi Well-Known Member

hahah while silence can mean naughiness is happening, it can also mean cuteness is.... if you go sneaking up to where they are, you can sometimes catch them doing something really adorable that you'd otherwise not see (like trying to put barbie boots on their toes ad wondering why they can't walk in them :))... and then when they notice you spying it's "MUUUUUUUUUUUM" and they stop it.

17. Bonkman

Bonkman Active Member

He just wanted to find out if they were "hard" or "soft" games.

Tasty games are also good ones.

18. Gash

Gash Well-Known Member

Ah nice to see I generated some discussion.

In my limited experience, silence means he is up to no good. But the flip side is after a whole day of chasing 'the little wrecking ball', a bit of silence can be golden. It seems on that day Mum traded my games for a bit of quiet. The upside is it has taught me to let go of material things (feel the zen :p )

19. Mecha-Wombat

Mecha-Wombat Well-Known Member

Yeap going through this my self ATM

if I hear nothing it 1 of 2 things

1. he has gone out the back door and into the backyard or
    2. he has found something to amuse himself that should not be amusing him

Last time he was quiet, I found my Omnia swimming in the dogs water bowl with him smiling up at me and showing me the pretty colours and funny noise it was making as it was ringing submerged

before that was the DSLR getting tossed against the wall resulting in the loss of a $400 lense

yet a whole room with toys goes unnoticed

20. Ebonytears

A big box with cellophane paper of various colors scrunched up in it....drop in a few 'mystery' pieces that either have moving parts or make noise and voila! the perfect childrens toy.

I used to get so grumpy when I would pay a fortune for a toy and the kids would spend most of the time playing with the box. I gave in and it ended up being loads of fun :)